ISA Riser problems

Topic actions

First post, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

I now have a cool flat AT case I really like, that includes an ISA riser for horizontal setup of cards.
My understanding of ISA risers was that they were pretty simple and straightforward - just adds new slots sharing the existing ISA bus. The ISA riser card has 3x 16 bits slots on one side and 2x 16 bits slot on the other.

My problem is I'm facing a lot of instability when using the riser, compared to exactly the same setup without the riser and the cards directly in the motherboard's ISA slots. I used some contact cleaner then IPA on all slots and pins, tested continuity on all pins, etc.. and everything seems in order.

By instability I mean:

- VGA card regularly boots in black&white on a good known working CRT. For some reason, does not happen on a Dell LCD on my test bench or at least I wasn't able to reproduce it. Maybe an issue with the card itself, but I doubt it as it doesn't seem to happen if I plug the card directly to the mobo. Seems random, and will work again after rebooting, sometimes several times.
- FastTracker2 crashes with a "General protection fault" a couple of seconds after the interface is loaded, every single time when using the riser.
- Games either do not load, or have garbled graphics or other issues, and/or crash a few seconds after loading.

Again, everything works fine and none of these symptoms happen at all when all the same cards are in the mobo directly instead of the ISA riser...

Any hints or tips on using these ISA riser cards? Some "rules" I may have overlooked, or suggestions to troubleshoot?

Reply 2 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thank you. Mmmh...currently trying another motherboard, and it seems like the same issues don't happen. Could different socket 3 motherboards send varying amount of current per slot? I was kinda expecting some kind of standard.
continuing my tests.

Reply 3 of 42, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Care to share, some photos of the mainboard and riser you are having problems with ? Thank you.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 4 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sure, motherboard is QDI V4P895P3 v4.0

ISA riser attached as well.

riser.jpeg
Filename
riser.jpeg
File size
318.29 KiB
Views
File license
GPL-2.0-or-later

Attachments

Reply 5 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

ISA riser card ends up in the top ISA/VLB slot.

I have since switched the previous 486-DX25 that was in there for a 486-DX33 (and changed the necessary jumpers).
I have less issues than before, which is good, but now the PicoGUS only gives me sound but music in Epic Pinball and Jazz Jackrabbit in GUS mode, sound and music both fine in War2 setup, no sound or music working in Duke3D setup... bleh.

FastTracker does not do a General Fault Protection anymore on startup, but doesn't play, probably because of the GUS problem above I suppose?

Still get the occasional B&W on reboot...

Reply 6 of 42, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Your main issue is likely the riser itself. It has no ground connection to its screws etc. either, and solid ground connection is absolutely necessary for proper operation. I do see some capacitors which may have to be sized larger than they already are.

Other issue is that a board with all slots on it already isn't really meant to have another extension to already extended bus, signal integrity issues can happen but I think in this current case it is the riser itself to blame, and in particular its lacking ground connectivity.

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 7 of 42, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I had the same problem with my AT clone. You have to solder electrolytic caps on the riser, 47uF 16V. You have to find the ground pin with a multimeter.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 8 of 42, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Thanks, a photo of the riser from the other side would be nice as well.
From this point of view it looks like it has some spots were capacitors can or are located on the other side.

As a test, I ask to stick the riser in the complete other end of the motherboard from where it is now, the bottom ISA slot, where the bios is, Yes, I know that it won't fit in the case in any way like this, that's why it's a test, and run your programs again for signs of instability & crashes.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 9 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Agree on ground and caps......I have a P.Bell ISA riser from a 486, it has 8 x 10uF/16v caps and looks similar to this (except mine labeled is Pk2109-01):
https://twitter.com/Foone/status/1369101935396089862/photo/1

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 10 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very interesting, now I didn't expect that! I don't see any capacitor anywhere on the riser...guess the bottom-left and bottom-right holes/pads look like there were some that were removed...?
Here are two new pictures of both sides, had to use the flash because of the low light, but hopefully it shows what's important well enough.

I unfortunately don't have the capacitors at hand (closest I have would be something like...10K uF/10V 😁) but happy to order some online to try and fix this.

Would someone be kind enough (with a drawing on my pictures or something maybe?) to confirm the capacitors should be placed, what kind of capacitors, and how proper grounding could be achieved? Of course I can measure/test anything necessary.

Thanks a lot!

A-Side.png
Filename
A-Side.png
File size
1.93 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
B-Side.png
Filename
B-Side.png
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 11 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
weedeewee wrote on 2024-02-04, 16:51:

As a test, I ask to stick the riser in the complete other end of the motherboard from where it is now, the bottom ISA slot, where the bios is, Yes, I know that it won't fit in the case in any way like this, that's why it's a test, and run your programs again for signs of instability & crashes.

I did test other slots with no notable difference...

Reply 12 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Found an eBay listing for a very similar riser in a somewhat big stock and a lot of sales, no capacitors or anything either..it's kinda surprising to me that they were/are popular if they were so fundamentally flawed, am I right to wonder?

s-l1600.jpg
Filename
s-l1600.jpg
File size
131.19 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
s-l1600-2.jpg
Filename
s-l1600-2.jpg
File size
145.53 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 13 of 42, by dominusprog

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2024-02-04, 18:58:

Found an eBay listing for a very similar riser in a somewhat big stock and a lot of sales, no capacitors or anything either..it's kinda surprising to me that they were/are popular if they were so fundamentally flawed, am I right to wonder?

s-l1600.jpg
s-l1600-2.jpg

You're right, they didn't solder any caps on them to reduce the cost.

Duke_2600.png
A-Trend ATC-1020 V1.1 ❇ Cyrix 6x86 150+ @ 120MHz ❇ 32MiB EDO RAM (8MiBx4) ❇ A-Trend S3 Trio64V2 2MiB
Aztech Pro16 II-3D PnP ❇ 8.4GiB Quantum Fireball ❇ Win95 OSR2 Plus!

Reply 14 of 42, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here is my ISA riser, it has capacitors, they are two different types, although quite similar in appearance.
I hope it could be useful to you, if you have any doubts, just ask.

Attachments

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 15 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I will do a trace to check which V.lines are capped on mine when I get home (am sure +5v and +12v but could be others). Another thing I notice is lack of good ground plane compared to mine and PC@LIVE's. Both of ours (though different) and have huge ground plains on one or both sides where yours does not. That does help with interference....another factor in "poor" design along with the lack of cap's IMHO.

Ok total of 9 caps (missed one) 6 of the 10uF are on the +5v (three at bottom and three at top), one each 10uF on -5, +12 and -12.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 16 of 42, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

6 isa slots + riser is a lot of reflections going around ISA bus. It might turn out to be impossible with this board in the end. Looking at the bus with a scope would tell more.

>it's kinda surprising to me that they were/are popular if they were so fundamentally flawed,

they work absolutely fine in dedicated motherboards (LPX?)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 17 of 42, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I have a pizza-box style case with a riser card that looks very similar to the one on this post, and it works without problems for me with regular 8-slot motherboards. And the case is definitely intended for Baby AT form factor boards, not LPX.

My riser card has 3 16-bit slots on one side and 2 8-bit slots on the other. I've stuffed it full of cards (VGA, Sound, MIDI, HDD & I/O controller) and it doesn't miss a beat, never had to add any caps or extra grounding... only used it with 386 motherboards though, not sure if there would be a difference with a 486.

Maybe the OP is running an overclocked ISA bus or something that in combination with the riser card can end up affecting signal integrity?

EDIT: just checked my riser card, it does have large ground planes on both sides around the slots, so maybe this makes a difference as others have mentioned. It is labeled "CTK-007".

Reply 18 of 42, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Good points. Not sure if the riser in question would work ok even in a LPX like my P.Bell 486, with the lack of gnd shield and caps...
Here is my bad deduction on the board in question pic1, I see no simple way to add caps. And to compare pic 2 and 3 are of mine. Big diff between them....just an observation..

Attachments

• B-Side.jpg
    Filename
    B-Side.jpg
    File size
    238.93 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    b side
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_2673.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2673.jpg
    File size
    161.75 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    riser front
    File license
    Public domain
  • Img_2674.jpg
    Filename
    Img_2674.jpg
    File size
    172.33 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    riser back
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 19 of 42, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Interesting input, thank you all. My goal was in the end to build a 386 in this case, waiting on a new motherboard. I guess the option would be to find an alternative riser with a proper ground plane, if all else fails... it seems to be a pretty standardized format.

The case is absolutely beautiful, would be a pity to not be able to use it 🙁