VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Zukovsky wrote on 2024-02-06, 14:33:

Cases are also hard to find in good condition. Even with retro brighting, deep scratches or cracked plastics are hard to repair.

I do think there's an unexplored area of plastics restoration using things like resin and silicone molds (to re-create shapes and textures), as well as airbrushing.

I posted this awhile back and it shows what is possible when it comes to restoring broken plastic cases: Most insane computer restoration I've come across

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 21 of 27, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here in Spain computers are more or less cheap, beige Pentium 4 tower 5-15 euro, Pentium 3 10-30, Pentium 1 30-50, 486-386 are mpre expensive, 40-90 euro. The ones are more expensive are brand ones, like IBM PS/1 etc

Reply 22 of 27, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-08, 02:07:

Cases are also hard to find in good condition. Even with retro brighting, deep scratches or cracked plastics are hard to repair.

I do think there's an unexplored area of plastics restoration using things like resin and silicone molds (to re-create shapes and textures), as well as airbrushing.

I posted this awhile back and it shows what is possible when it comes to restoring broken plastic cases: Most insane computer restoration I've come across

Most of the case parts can be 3D Printed if you have the dimensions, could even print them in different materials and colouring, might even be a small market for such custom parts.

Reply 23 of 27, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Trashbytes wrote on 2024-02-08, 02:41:
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-08, 02:07:

Most of the case parts can be 3D Printed if you have the dimensions, could even print them in different materials and colouring, might even be a small market for such custom parts.

Good thought ! Have some vintage/retro black cases that with white paint on the metal and then a new made white front would be very cool 😁

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 24 of 27, by midicollector

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I think it’s worth noting that modern cases still work and tend to look better and do a much better job at cooling.

The weird thing is that I’ve seen 486 era cases still going for relatively cheap compared to later cases.

Those beige boxes were really nothing special, having lived through that era, you’re better off with a new case. They don’t offer anything aesthetically interesting and were boring cheap generic crap even at the time.

Reply 25 of 27, by theelf

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
midicollector wrote on 2024-02-08, 03:14:

I think it’s worth noting that modern cases still work and tend to look better and do a much better job at cooling.

The weird thing is that I’ve seen 486 era cases still going for relatively cheap compared to later cases.

Those beige boxes were really nothing special, having lived through that era, you’re better off with a new case. They don’t offer anything aesthetically interesting and were boring cheap generic crap even at the time.

A new case will ruin everything, I cant even thing in a 486 in a horrible new case.. brr.. creppy

Reply 26 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not sure I agree with better looking but for the better cooling and build quality I prefer modern-ish cases for ATX.
But for AT machines it still feels wrong

Reply 27 of 27, by Trashbytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
theelf wrote on 2024-02-08, 03:34:

A new case will ruin everything, I cant even thing in a 486 in a horrible new case.. brr.. creppy

What we need is 3d printed AT cases or new cases designed from old AT cases but with updated cooling features and made from materials that wont yellow.