VOGONS

Problem with Pentium Pro build

Topic actions

First post, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey guys,

So I finally got all the parts together to boot up my new PPro build. Unfortunately the screen is garbled. Here is a photo. In y'alls experience, does this seem more likely to be the graphics card or the motherboard? Everything seems to be working and it tries to boot, it just looks awful. I am going to order a spare PCI graphics card, but this is the only one I have for now.

Attachments

• Untitled.jpeg
    Filename
    Untitled.jpeg
    File size
    196.29 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 2 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-05, 21:44:

Graphics card is a PCI Radeon 7000 btw

IIRC the 7000 has issues with some boards. Unless it is faulty, you could try ISA cards if you have any.
If you have another board with a pci slot, test it there.

Clean the PCI slots, clean the card's contacts. Use VGA and DVI.

Try pressing the vram chips, the core and post HQ pics of the card, board and cpu.

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 4 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried it in a different PCI slot and it behaved for a second before showing artifacts. When you press on the card it changes, so it's definitely a graphics card issue. That makes me feel a lot better, whew. Thanks alot dudes!

Reply 5 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-05, 22:09:

I tried it in a different PCI slot and it behaved for a second before showing artifacts. When you press on the card it changes, so it's definitely a graphics card issue. That makes me feel a lot better, whew. Thanks alot dudes!

Adding a fan changes anything?

Reply 6 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-02-05, 22:16:
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-05, 22:09:

Adding a fan changes anything?

No, it happens right when you turn the machine on before it has time to warm up.

Reply 7 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Here's a few pics.

Attachments

Last edited by boggsman on 2024-02-05, 22:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Would a Quadro4 NVS 200 be a better card for this build, performance wise? I'm looking to give the CPU it's best chance to perform rather than being period correct. I was going to use pre-r300 drivers for the Radeon so there is less overhead.

Reply 12 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/aspen- … tems,-i-glacier

In the future, you think you could get a BIOS dump?

Reply 13 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-02-05, 23:19:

Yes, once I put it in the case and hook up a floppy drive I can do that. I think this is my board though, it has a Gateway BIOS:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-vs440fx-venus

Is that still useful or no?

Reply 14 of 24, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-05, 23:25:
Yes, once I put it in the case and hook up a floppy drive I can do that. I think this is my board though, it has a Gateway BIOS: […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2024-02-05, 23:19:

Yes, once I put it in the case and hook up a floppy drive I can do that. I think this is my board though, it has a Gateway BIOS:
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/intel-vs440fx-venus

Is that still useful or no?

If that's your mobo then no, bios images are abundant. I thought it was the other one. My bad.
Yes, in a way al old bios could give strange behaviours. Not always though. Anyway, IMHO looks like the video card has issues.

Reply 15 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

When I was building my own Pentium Pro rig recently, I ran into an issue where one of the cards I tested (I think was an S3 card) was incompatible with one of my Pentium Pro motherboards. It produced a garbled display even in basic text.

Every other card tested fine. And that particular graphics card tested fine in other motherboards.

Normally I'd suggest this would likely be an issue with the video card, but sometimes it's just an incompatibility between parts.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 16 of 24, by boggsman

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-05, 23:32:

When I was building my own Pentium Pro rig recently, I ran into an issue where one of the cards I tested (I think was an S3 card) was incompatible with one of my Pentium Pro motherboards. It produced a garbled display even in basic text.

Every other card tested fine. And that particular graphics card tested fine in other motherboards.

Normally I'd suggest this would likely be an issue with the video card, but sometimes it's just an incompatibility between parts.

If I press on the heatsink it goes back to normal. That's got to be a bad card right?

Reply 17 of 24, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
boggsman wrote on 2024-02-05, 23:39:

If I press on the heatsink it goes back to normal. That's got to be a bad card right?

That does sound like an issue with the card, namely poor solder contacts.

It could be repaired though, needing a reflow or reballing.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 18 of 24, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

unicorn-adri.gif

Oh yea, that sounds like the proverbial smoking gun. that symptom is caused by a cracked/bad solder joint. its easily repairable... IF... you have a hot-air station and the soldering skill. A pretty big IF.

As for that motherboard, that looks like the default Intel reference board for the ppro. it should be a very solid mobo.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 19 of 24, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Yes that is a genuine Intel Venus (for OEM use), the yellow sticker with AA number is an Intel only thing (and the E number sticker) . very solid board though BIOS is a bit lacking.
The only diff between the OEM and retail VS440FX is the missing Crystal CS4236 audio chip and back plate connectors iirc.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun