VOGONS

Reply 20 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
kolderman wrote on 2024-02-07, 10:29:

One reason i dual boot win7 with xp. I can potentially install under win7, do a reg diff, then play under winxp. The game partition is mounted as D on both.

I am LOVING using Windows XP again (and I keep looking for ways to do things I do on my main PC on my XP pc, such as using an XP Pen drawing display - going to try that next,) but I also miss Windows 7. If I could, I would have only MS-DOS/WfW 3.11, 95, 98SE, XP, and 7 on my PCs. I am so thoroughly disgusted with Microsoft and Windows 10 that I am switching to Linux for future builds. Almost every new game is crap, and new games (and "security" updates) are the only reason to have Windows 10, in my opinion. I didn't downgrade to Windows 10 until 2018, when I built my first Ryzen machine and "needed" DirectX 12.

Reply 21 of 40, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I don't think windows 10 (or 11) is terrible enough to move to Linux, I'd still call the OS Serviceable rather then enjoyable.
I still don't actually like them and think simplicity of use the GUI has been going backwards, even starting with Win7
but I don't find much about modern computers enjoyable, rather just treat them as a tool to get things done.
for tinkering, gaming, etc I didn't get past XP

Reply 22 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chinny22 wrote on 2024-02-08, 04:40:
I don't think windows 10 (or 11) is terrible enough to move to Linux, I'd still call the OS Serviceable rather then enjoyable. I […]
Show full quote

I don't think windows 10 (or 11) is terrible enough to move to Linux, I'd still call the OS Serviceable rather then enjoyable.
I still don't actually like them and think simplicity of use the GUI has been going backwards, even starting with Win7
but I don't find much about modern computers enjoyable, rather just treat them as a tool to get things done.
for tinkering, gaming, etc I didn't get past XP

Agreed on most point (I keep feeling compelled to start heavily researching Linux.)

I read a comment on a youtube video about XP which talked about how XP felt welcoming and inviting, but Windows of today is cold and soulless. It is a bloated mess. It is ironic how often I use my Windows 10 PC to play dos games or emulate a plethora of x86 machines via 86box. I wish I had a shell which coverd the Windows 10 crap with a classic looking shell that shows me only what I want and need. I know that there are ways to do something like this alread (and I am considering it - even the progman.exe way to make 10 look like Win 3.x,) but I want to go deeper. I have fond memories of the Windows Trilogy (3.x, 9x, XP,) and consider it a golden era. It is probably why I have been on Vogons a lot more these days, and why I am working on multiple retro projects at once.

Reply 23 of 40, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-08, 03:26:

Almost every new game is crap, and new games (and "security" updates) are the only reason to have Windows 10, in my opinion.

I've been daily driving Linux for 4 years and most games work without issues. There are problems with some multiplayer games' anti-cheat systems, but if you play single player, playing modern games is almost as effortless as on Windows with very little performance hit. While playing older games are sometimes easier on Linux than on modern Windows.

chinny22 wrote on 2024-02-08, 04:40:

It was during Windows 8.x that I started dual booting Linux and however disliked those were, it was 10 that made me transition fully. Windows 10 is absolute garbage and it is definitely terrible enough to move to Linux.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 24 of 40, by dr_st

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the end most people end up being comfortable with whatever they first started using. To some - 9x/XP is the "golden era". Put someone whose first Windows was Windows 10 in front of Windows XP and they will curse at the strange and unintuitive "garbage UI" just the same.

Like - what do you mean - you have to click through multiple submenus with names written in tiny fonts to get to the app you just installed? And why is there no convenient system tray popup to control Wifi, Bluetooth, and Wireless hotspot at the same place? And how do I connect my PC to a wireless display???

https://cloakedthargoid.wordpress.com/ - Random content on hardware, software, games and toys

Reply 25 of 40, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

(Evangelist mode on)

GOG games installs well under Linux.

There is even Lutris, which is a multi store client. A very popular tool for Linux gamers. You can log it into your gog/steam/humblebundle/etc account and have it to install the games. It installs automatically the correct wine/proton/libs version to have the game to run the best. (Based on comunity contributed recipes ).
Example : https://lutris.net/games/star-wars-episode-i-racer/

It's not a shady software from GitHub that will steal your accounts. The packages is available in most Linux distributions official repositories.
https://packages.ubuntu.com/jammy/lutris

Linux gaming has never been so easy (and I'm gaming on Linux for like 18/20years.)

Lutris_screenshot.jpg
Filename
Lutris_screenshot.jpg
File size
226.56 KiB
Views
File comment
Source : https://en.opensuse.org/images/0/05/Lutris_screenshot.jpg
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Modern games like Cyberpunk, Hogwarts Legacy, Baldur's gate or Diablo4 runs perfectly. When a game does not, most of the time its because of some DRM or anticheat.

(Evangelist mode off)

Installing the game under Linux then copying into an xp/w9x system should be possible as well.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 26 of 40, by kolderman

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Also why I have been, from day 1, downloading and archives the full offline GOG installers for all GOG games earlier than about 2004 (that I am likely to want to play on a retro PC). I am afraid at some point the new installers will screw me over.

Reply 27 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Has anyone managed to get GOG's Shadowrun Returns to run on XP? XP and XP-era hardware are supported according to the system requirements (1.4Ghz CPU so I am assuming SSE2 is not needed,) yet when I attempt to run the game on my XP machine, it immediately crashes with a complaint about shadowrun.exe... This is a bummer, since I was hoping to see how such a "late" game would run on XP.

Last edited by Scythifuge on 2024-02-08, 22:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 28 of 40, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-08, 19:32:

Has anyone managed to get GOG's Shadowrun Returns to run on XP? XP and XP-era hardware are supported according to the system requirements (1.4Ghz CPU so I am assuming SSE@ is not needed,) yet when I attempt to run the game on my XP machine, it immediately crashes with a complaint about shadowrun.exe... This is a bummer, since I was hoping to see how such a "late" game would run on XP.

I have no problem running it on XP SP3:

Xeon 5690
Geforce 780ti
3GB RAM

I'm using the installer version 2.3.0.12, the timestamp on the file says it was created on 9/01/2021. I would download the latest and check but GOG is down right now.

Reply 29 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-02-08, 20:00:
I have no problem running it on XP SP3: […]
Show full quote

Has anyone managed to get GOG's Shadowrun Returns to run on XP? XP and XP-era hardware are supported according to the system requirements (1.4Ghz CPU so I am assuming SSE@ is not needed,) yet when I attempt to run the game on my XP machine, it immediately crashes with a complaint about shadowrun.exe... This is a bummer, since I was hoping to see how such a "late" game would run on XP.

Xeon 5690
Geforce 780ti
3GB RAM

I'm using the installer version 2.3.0.12, the timestamp on the file says it was created on 9/01/2021. I would download the latest and check but GOG is down right now.

Thank you for letting me know. I just checked my archive and I had downloaded it back in 2014. I will download it again when GOG goes back online. So far, most other games work (expect for Revenant - GOG and AvP CLassic - GOG.) I hope I can get it running. I love Shadowrun.

Reply 30 of 40, by DEAT

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-08, 22:32:

So far, most other games work (expect for Revenant - GOG

Revenant should just work in XP - it works fine in Win98, only needing an _INMM injection for playing the OGG files.

Reply 31 of 40, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nevermind

Last edited by Horun on 2024-02-09, 14:00. Edited 4 times in total.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 32 of 40, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
DEAT wrote on 2024-02-06, 07:07:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-02-06, 06:50:

Off the top of my head, only the GOG version of Quake 2 was problematic. It would install fine on XP, but the game executable wouldn't run, as it appears to require Windows 7. To be clear, I'm talking about the original Quake 2, not the remaster.

The GOG release works fine on Win98 - see my previous post.

I was talking about WinXP, not Win98. At a guess, WinXP compatibility may depend on when the installer was downloaded. Maybe GOG made some recent updates to Quake 2 which broke it.

For reference, I downloaded the Quake 2 GOG offline installer about six months ago. And while the installer itself does work, the actual game executable crashes with an error when I try to run it under WinXP 32-bit.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 33 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DEAT wrote on 2024-02-08, 22:49:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-08, 22:32:

So far, most other games work (expect for Revenant - GOG

Revenant should just work in XP - it works fine in Win98, only needing an _INMM injection for playing the OGG files.

My original install discs work, and I can select enhanced lighting in the options, with the X800 being a decent card for this game. However, there are intermittent pauses. Maybe it needs a patch. It is just weird that the GOG install won't work. I may try dgvoodoo or nglide and see how that goes. I think that the 2nd disc can be copied to a folder and Revenant be set to look in that folder, eliminating the need to have the 2nd disc in the drive (probably with a crack, however.)

Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-02-09, 04:22:
DEAT wrote on 2024-02-06, 07:07:
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-02-06, 06:50:

Off the top of my head, only the GOG version of Quake 2 was problematic. It would install fine on XP, but the game executable wouldn't run, as it appears to require Windows 7. To be clear, I'm talking about the original Quake 2, not the remaster.

The GOG release works fine on Win98 - see my previous post.

I was talking about WinXP, not Win98. At a guess, WinXP compatibility may depend on when the installer was downloaded. Maybe GOG made some recent updates to Quake 2 which broke it.

For reference, I downloaded the Quake 2 GOG offline installer about six months ago. And while the installer itself does work, the actual game executable crashes with an error when I try to run it under WinXP 32-bit.

This seems to be a problem with quite a few games which otherwise work in XP with the original discs. As I progress with installing and testing each game, I will probably make a list of GOG games which fail to run on XP. Maybe I will make a new thread about it and see if answers can be found. While I have a vast library of original discs and/or can acquire disc images, I like the GOG option for having games just run without needing discs or no-cd cracks (when they actually work.) While I love having working optical drives and use them for many things, one of the goals is to create a library of XP compatible games and DOSBox and being able to click n' play.

Reply 34 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Show full quote

Xeon 5690
Geforce 780ti
3GB RAM

I am still getting crashes. I think that despite the listed requirements, I am running something too old. Maybe it needs SSE2 or a better video card. I am running an ATI AIW X800 XT.

Reply 35 of 40, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-11, 03:55:
Show full quote

Xeon 5690
Geforce 780ti
3GB RAM

I am still getting crashes. I think that despite the listed requirements, I am running something too old. Maybe it needs SSE2 or a better video card. I am running an ATI AIW X800 XT.

Hey I just tested this on my Xeon 3230 machine, its got 2GB ram and a 9800 pro (128MB) on XP. As long as I turn off HD textures the 9800 pro has no problem running it, it even runs well at a 1024X768 res. I think your X800 should be fine, you're saying that it crashes before you even hit the starting menu? I don't have a machine that could test without SSE2 so I can't check that.

What CPU are you using?

Reply 36 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-02-11, 05:34:
Show full quote

Xeon 5690
Geforce 780ti
3GB RAM

Hey I just tested this on my Xeon 3230 machine, its got 2GB ram and a 9800 pro (128MB) on XP. As long as I turn off HD textures the 9800 pro has no problem running it, it even runs well at a 1024X768 res. I think your X800 should be fine, you're saying that it crashes before you even hit the starting menu? I don't have a machine that could test without SSE2 so I can't check that.

What CPU are you using?

An Athlon XP 3200+.

Reply 37 of 40, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-13, 05:07:

What CPU are you using?

An Athlon XP 3200+.

I do have one of those but its hooked up to a 64MB Voodoo 5 with only 64MB of ram...still I suppose I can see if it launches or not.

EDIT: Yeah it crashes right away with an Athlon XP 2400+. Like I said though it's got a Voodoo 5 in it.

Reply 38 of 40, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shagittarius wrote on 2024-02-13, 22:36:
Scythifuge wrote on 2024-02-13, 05:07:

What CPU are you using?

An Athlon XP 3200+.

I do have one of those but its hooked up to a 64MB Voodoo 5 with only 64MB of ram...still I suppose I can see if it launches or not.

EDIT: Yeah it crashes right away with an Athlon XP 2400+. Like I said though it's got a Voodoo 5 in it.

It could definitely be the Voodoo5 in your case since it isn't a DX 9 card. I found an anecdotal post somewhere where someone claimed it ran on some form of Athlon XP and an X800, I tried their "version" and it still crashes. I tried removing GOG-only files to no avail. I might have to give up on this one. However, that is difficult for me to do since I apparently exceed the minimum system requirements. Are there any SSE2 CPUs running at 1.4Ghz? I'll have to look into that. It could also be some other strange incompatibility such as my drivers, or something else. I know I can play it on my main PC with ease, though this Athlon XP is a Shadowrun/Cyberpunk-genre inspired PC. I am using SHODAN for the My Computer icon, and the cover of the Shadowrun 2e rule book as my desktop wallpaper. This and other things were how I had my XP machines set up, back in the day.

Reply 39 of 40, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Curious what Shadowrun Returns version is the GOG version, just curious...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun