VOGONS

First post, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi, recently i got this case but front panel is broken , doing some googling nothing found. Any way to fix this kind of case? Thanks.

Attachments

Reply 2 of 9, by DAVE86

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If the pieces are missing epoxy pastes and puttys can be used to fix up and sculpt simple forms. I've done this on broken and cracked notebook and laptop plastics but not on pc cases. After the epoxy has cured you can spray paint it to color.

Reply 4 of 9, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Then you will need to 'manufacture' missing bits, as Dave6 says.

I find that nonadhesive / 'self adhesive rubber tape' works great to facilitate this. (Damnit, listed the wrong tape! That has glue on it! The kind you want has no glue, but bonds to itself on contact.)

get the thinnest you can get, fairly wide. It should cling to the remaining plastic like cling film, and peel without residue.

put a layer on the inside, then apply the mixed epoxy paste. put another layer of the rubber over the top to aid smoothing, then wait 24hr for full cure.

sand smooth with 3000 grit or finer paper, then 'paint' with vinyl dye spray.

Avoid krylon spraypaint.

Reply 5 of 9, by ODwilly

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Don't worry about the missing front panel covers. You are going to probably want a CD drive and floppy drive at least. You can always make something to fill in the remaining ones or find some from another PC. Heck a painted piece of cardboard works.

Main pc: Asus ROG 17. R9 5900HX, RTX 3070m, 16gb ddr4 3200, 1tb NVME.
Retro PC: Soyo P4S Dragon, 3gb ddr 266, 120gb Maxtor, Geforce Fx 5950 Ultra, SB Live! 5.1

Reply 6 of 9, by rain

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i fixed it with my very own idea ,adding metal piece on it. looks not bad what do you think

Attachments

Reply 7 of 9, by deltapi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it looks ok.

The putty/epoxy work the others describe would give you a look that doesn't appear repaired, but also is much harder to do with a satisfying result - it's almost like doing plasterwork or repairing drywall.

What's most important though is - what do you think of it? Do you like it? if so, then mission accomplished!

Reply 8 of 9, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hmmm, maybe there should be some gold tape available for retro PC Kintsugi 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.