VOGONS

Voodoo 2 Artifacting?

Topic actions

First post, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So bit of a sad situation , I was playing Heretic 2 with my SLI Voodoo 2s and the main menu suddenly had this appear.

20240208_005304.jpg
Filename
20240208_005304.jpg
File size
1.34 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
20240208_005307.jpg
Filename
20240208_005307.jpg
File size
1.37 MiB
Views
File license

So I waited a min or two to see if it would go away and it sorta did then came back , so I decided to turn off the pc for a bit , came back and it vanished , but after a few min it returned.
In the end I had to switch over to my Geforce 256 and run the game in opengl mode , and I beat it , since I was at the last stage , after I did I switched back to Glide , but same problem.
So since this is probably now something I have to fix I was wondering if anyone knows if this is a ram issue or a TMU issue or something?
Also is there some way of vectoring in one which specific ram chip has failed?

Weirdly I tried quake 2 and it was fine , also this only affects the heretic 2 main menu , so I guess its only in certain cases where specific chips get used that it shows the error?

But yeah it kinda sucks considering V2s go for a lot now , there's still some decent deals going for about what I paid for mine like 3 or 4 years ago , but other cards go for double that.

Reply 1 of 22, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Have you tired it with only one card at a time to at least try and pin point which card is having the issue? I'd also recommend making sure the SLI cable is good and seating properly in each card.

Reply 3 of 22, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Adding heatsinks and/or any other cooling system to the FBI and TMU chips on the Voodoo2 cards helps as they tend to heat up a bit after some time. Apart from that, does any other game besides Quake II aren't affected?

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 4 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-07, 15:26:

Have you got any cooling on the cards? Maybe some air movement would help, although if it's happening that quickly after cold start then might not help for long.

Well the card hasn't got any heatsinks but the case has an intake fan an exhaust fan but also a side panel fan blowing air directly on the cards , would have figured that would be enough.

20220828_204134 (1).jpg
Filename
20220828_204134 (1).jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 5 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-02-07, 15:20:

Have you tired it with only one card at a time to at least try and pin point which card is having the issue? I'd also recommend making sure the SLI cable is good and seating properly in each card.

That's a good idea , ill have to do that for sure.

Reply 6 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Gmlb256 wrote on 2024-02-07, 15:34:

Adding heatsinks and/or any other cooling system to the FBI and TMU chips on the Voodoo2 cards helps as they tend to heat up a bit after some time. Apart from that, does any other game besides Quake II aren't affected?

I'll try some other games to see if they have any issues crop up.

Reply 7 of 22, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-02-07, 15:57:
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-07, 15:26:

Have you got any cooling on the cards? Maybe some air movement would help, although if it's happening that quickly after cold start then might not help for long.

Well the card hasn't got any heatsinks but the case has an intake fan an exhaust fan but also a side panel fan blowing air directly on the cards , would have figured that would be enough.

20220828_204134 (1).jpg

Yes agreed, that side panel fan looks ideal, I don't think it should want anything more than that.

Reply 8 of 22, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No amount of heatsinks is going to help with old 3dfx solder joints. Its time to refresh all the soldering on ram and chips.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 9 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So something interesting happened , I turned off palleted textures and the problem went away , is this a clue of what's going on to anyone?

20240208_194432.jpg
Filename
20240208_194432.jpg
File size
1.4 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 11 of 22, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-02-08, 08:47:

So something interesting happened , I turned off palleted textures and the problem went away , is this a clue of what's going on to anyone?

Perhaps the 3dfx MiniGL driver shipped with the game is older than the one from Quake II.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 12 of 22, by buckeye

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I had something like those "band lines" occur while playing star wars rogue squadron with a V2 sli setup with a GF3 . Someone
recommended I connect the V2's directly to the monitor which cleared the artifacts up. It's no problem if you're main card
has a DVI hookup.

Asus P5N-E Intel Core 2 Duo 3.33ghz. 4GB DDR2 Geforce 470 1GB SB X-Fi Titanium 650W XP SP3
Intel SE440BX P3 450 256MB 80GB SSD Radeon 7200 64mb SB 32pnp 350W 98SE
MSI x570 Gaming Pro Carbon Ryzen 3700x 32GB DDR4 Zotac RTX 3070 8GB WD Black 1TB 850W

Reply 13 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-02-08, 11:39:

It very well could be. Is this the only game having this issue?

Yeah I tested Diablo 2 , Unreal , System Shock 2 and they all worked fine.

Then I went into the settings disabled sli ran heretic 2 and it crashed unless I picked the tutorial, I should have taken a picture of the error , it might have been a page fault issue?

The game ran fine in the tutorial , then I reactivated the sli ran the game , turned on the palletised textures and it had no issue , so yeah I'm a bit confused.

I'll do some more testing today.

Reply 14 of 22, by chrismeyer6

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

To me this sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue with your cards. Have you tried reinstalling your current drivers or even trying different drivers?

Reply 15 of 22, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Random fits bad solder joint perfectly. Get a hair drier and heat both cards while playing the game, heat exasperates intermittent joint issues and will let you diagnose which card is the culprit.
Bad news - it will deteriorate with time and there is nothing, other than fixing it by refreshing solder on all the joints, you can do to slow it down.
Good news - you wont make it worse by just using it until further deterioration, if you are lucky it might be years until the card completely refuses to work.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 16 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-09, 05:37:

Random fits bad solder joint perfectly. Get a hair drier and heat both cards while playing the game, heat exasperates intermittent joint issues and will let you diagnose which card is the culprit.
Bad news - it will deteriorate with time and there is nothing, other than fixing it by refreshing solder on all the joints, you can do to slow it down.
Good news - you wont make it worse by just using it until further deterioration, if you are lucky it might be years until the card completely refuses to work.

I made an inspection of the card I couldn't see anything physically wrong with the pcbs or chips and stuff but when I opened the case there was a spiders web one of the RAM chips , no idea if that might have done something bad or not , but I cleaned it off and the issues still there.
I'll look into reflowing it.

20240211_170239.jpg
Filename
20240211_170239.jpg
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

Reply 17 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2024-02-08, 23:26:

To me this sounds more like a software issue than a hardware issue with your cards. Have you tried reinstalling your current drivers or even trying different drivers?

I'm using the fastvoodoo drivers for mismatched cards , I could try another one I guess , no idea if it might break sli support though.

Reply 18 of 22, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-02-11, 10:16:

I'm using the fastvoodoo drivers for mismatched cards , I could try another one I guess , no idea if it might break sli support though.

The Fast Voodoo drivers bump up the clocks on the card slightly which isn't particularly obvious unless you happen to spot it in the display settings. Have you checked that, and dropped it back to stock speeds if necessary?

Reply 19 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-11, 12:16:
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-02-11, 10:16:

The Fast Voodoo drivers bump up the clocks on the card slightly which isn't particularly obvious unless you happen to spot it in the display settings. Have you checked that, and dropped it back to stock speeds if necessary?

I had no idea that it mucked about with the clock settings , ill give that a look.