Topic actions

Reply 20 of 22, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Shadzilla wrote on 2024-02-11, 12:16:
AppleSauce wrote on 2024-02-11, 10:16:

I'm using the fastvoodoo drivers for mismatched cards , I could try another one I guess , no idea if it might break sli support though.

The Fast Voodoo drivers bump up the clocks on the card slightly which isn't particularly obvious unless you happen to spot it in the display settings. Have you checked that, and dropped it back to stock speeds if necessary?

So I installed the utility , which I had no idea existed and underclocked the card , it actually helped make the artifacting a bit less worse. I ran the donut demo and saw artifacting , disabling one tmu made it go away.
So does that mean a tmu is failing?

Reply 21 of 22, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Connection between TMU and one of the Ram chips connected to it, or in veeery rare cases one of the ram chips in that bank.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 22 of 22, by Morotz

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Voodoo 2 sadly have the problem that the old solder gets weak and the QFP pins get loose. The older the cards get, the more likely it happens. Try carefully wiggling all pins on the 3 main chips with small tweezers to see if any are loose. One of my Voodoo 2's has a lot of loose pins and doesn't work in 3D because of this. Reflow with a hot air station is possible, or else use a small soldering tip with temperature control. In both cases, you don't have to add new solder but add lots of flux to get shiny new solder joints.
The memory itself could be faulty, but to me loose pins on the TMU seem more likely. Loose contacts can cause all kinds of erratic behaviour and are sometimes hard to diagnose.

Retro systems:
Athlon XP-M 1600MHz, Abit KT7A, 512MB PC133 CL2, Quadro FX3000, Vortex2 + SB AWE64, Win98SE
Athlon 1100MHz, Geforce2 Ti, Win2k
Pentium III 550MHz, Voodoo 5 5500, Win98SE
Xeon L5430, 4GB DDR2, GTS 450, WinXP