VOGONS

First post, by Vaylo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I'm thinking about a replacement for the aging AT PSU that my 486 has been running with for the past 28 years.
I was looking at some brand new ATX PSUs (which i will connect via ATX->AT cable adapter) and found this A-DATA XPG PYLON fairly compatible with what i need:

https://webapi3.adata.com/storage/downloadfil … G_PYLON_QSG.pdf

Wattage: 450W
5V rails delivers up to 20 Amps (same as my current PSU),
12V rail up to 37.5 Amps (way more than I will ever need)

There are 2x Molex and 1x FDD connectors (all i need is one HDD, one CD ROM and one Floppy)

A-Data claims that:

No Load Operation :
XPG has followed Intel ATX Power Supply Design Guide with 0A minimum loading to support Intel Haswell C6/C7 sleep mode function.

So i presume having the 3.3V rail under no load should not be a problem.

Short Circuit Protection :
SCP is defined as any output impedance of less than 0.1ohms. Amongst other things, SCP ensures that the PSU shuts down should the +12V, +5V & +3.3V rails short to any ground, or any other rail. It also ensures that no damage should occur to your PC components if there is any short circuit inside the system. XPG Power Supplies have full protection circuits on board to keep your expensive components safe under all circumstances.

Which is perfect because not all PSUs have an SCP on 5V rail.

Of course there's no -5V rail but in case I'd need one I'd go with the Voltage Blaster.

Apart of shitty capacitors (Capxons) which i can replace after the 5 year warranty expires are there some red flags that you can see with this PSU and i don't?

Thanks very much in advance.

Reply 1 of 1, by waterbeesje

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

All i can say is: go for any decent brand. Preferably with a certificate like bronze, silver etc. those promise to give you certain Efficiency which can only be achieved with quality components. Why wait for a recap in five years wilt for a little more money it can ru for 20 years?

Probably anything that delivers 5v at 15A wil do for all up te P3 and K6+.

Stuck at 10MHz...