VOGONS

First post, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I recently bought this Chicony NB7D from eBay assuming it wasn't starting up due to an electrical issue.

However I later discovered the thing has no RAM...and obviously won't boot without it

Only issue is of course tracking down something I can stick in it because obviously these notebooks were from an era before Standardisation was a thing.

I don't know what to do anymore and that sinking feeling when you feel a project can go no further is feeling very prevalent right now

Attached is an image of where the RAM lives.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 10, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Modify the title adding something like "need pic for replacement" or similar, to put directly what you need.
Daughterboards with ram were common, each his own but main connections are the same as a ram stick IIRC.
Maybe you could plug a ram stick (provided it is the same tech e.g. edo/fpm...) soldering dupont cables to pads.

Edit: 30 pins on header points to SIMM ram. I don't think that building a new ram card should be that difficult, maybe just sourcing ram chips.
I'll check my ram cards.

I know the feeling, just wait until your head clears 😀

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 2 of 10, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Nexxen wrote on 2024-02-11, 13:45:
Modify the title adding something like "need pic for replacement" or similar, to put directly what you need. Daughterboards with […]
Show full quote

Modify the title adding something like "need pic for replacement" or similar, to put directly what you need.
Daughterboards with ram were common, each his own but main connections are the same as a ram stick IIRC.
Maybe you could plug a ram stick (provided it is the same tech e.g. edo/fpm...) soldering dupont cables to pads.

Edit: 30 pins on header points to SIMM ram. I don't think that building a new ram card should be that difficult, maybe just sourcing ram chips.
I'll check my ram cards.

Do you know how to modify a title?,

I was getting ready to give up on it...but maybe all hope is not lost!

I was considering going with PCMCIA RAM but I don't think the laptop can boot from it.

Some food for thought

Reply 3 of 10, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2024-02-11, 16:36:
Do you know how to modify a title?, […]
Show full quote
Nexxen wrote on 2024-02-11, 13:45:
Modify the title adding something like "need pic for replacement" or similar, to put directly what you need. Daughterboards with […]
Show full quote

I'll check my ram cards.

Do you know how to modify a title?,

I was getting ready to give up on it...but maybe all hope is not lost!

I was considering going with PCMCIA RAM but I don't think the laptop can boot from it.

Some food for thought

Edit your first post 😉

Ideas grow. Don't give up, it's not like you need it to live on Mars 😀
It'll be solved.

Reply 4 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

dx2-66 laptop, nice! I know the feeling, few years back I scored $2 AST Ascentia 810N 4/66 with one drawback - only 4MB of soldered ram and proprietary ram slot 😀

anyway here is a picture of proprietary ram module you need
https://www.reddit.com/r/retrobattlestations/ … hicony_acrobat/
I would say its half doable with only thi picture, but maybe asking nicely owner/author of that post for high resolution photos/scan of both sides would change my mind.
If it was 386 or slower there would be a chance it could boot using PCMCIA ram card, but Im not sure about 486.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 10, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-11, 23:05:
dx2-66 laptop, nice! I know the feeling, few years back I scored $2 AST Ascentia 810N 4/66 with one drawback - only 4MB of solde […]
Show full quote

dx2-66 laptop, nice! I know the feeling, few years back I scored $2 AST Ascentia 810N 4/66 with one drawback - only 4MB of soldered ram and proprietary ram slot 😀

I would say its half doable with only thi picture, but maybe asking nicely owner/author of that post for high resolution photos/scan of both sides would change my mind.
If it was 386 or slower there would be a chance it could boot using PCMCIA ram card, but Im not sure about 486.

Ah that's an interesting Reddit POST, and as it turns out the owner of said machine has a parts unit and is willing to sell the RAM card to me for 20 Euros.

I'd say that's a pretty good steal.

Meanwhile I'm struggling to keep the Heatsink attached and there's a leftover screw, but it's the little things 😂

Reply 6 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sounds fair, building ram card from scratch would be similar cost. What capacity? and please post front/back pictures if you buy it 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 7 of 10, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-12, 13:14:

Sounds fair, building ram card from scratch would be similar cost. What capacity? and please post front/back pictures if you buy it 😀

Will do! At the moment this Reddit guy is being a lil quiet, but I don't want to annoy them.

Reply 8 of 10, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SuperLuke2003 wrote on 2024-02-12, 12:54:
Ah that's an interesting Reddit POST, and as it turns out the owner of said machine has a parts unit and is willing to sell the […]
Show full quote
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-11, 23:05:
dx2-66 laptop, nice! I know the feeling, few years back I scored $2 AST Ascentia 810N 4/66 with one drawback - only 4MB of solde […]
Show full quote

Ah that's an interesting Reddit POST, and as it turns out the owner of said machine has a parts unit and is willing to sell the RAM card to me for 20 Euros.

I'd say that's a pretty good steal.

Meanwhile I'm struggling to keep the Heatsink attached and there's a leftover screw, but it's the little things 😂

Well, I'm happy for you.
Clean buy and problem solved 😀

Reply 10 of 10, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What do you mean by too small? in millimeters or megabytes? 😀 if its megabytes then that can be rectified with modding. Try to still get a good quality photos of module front/back.