VOGONS

First post, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello. Just wondering if theres anyone/any company in the UK that can recap my old PC motherboard? There's no leaks or damages to the motherboard itself - everything is fully working. But would like to get it recapped before any of this happens (and considering said motherboard was made during the capacitor plague era 😉 )

Reply 1 of 8, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been procrastinating over getting a laptop HDD fixed, which needs a board swap but the retaining of an original chip. I think I could swap a board, but wouldn't want to try soldering a tiny IC. A local phone repair shop have said they could do a job like the one I need.

There are so many shops that fix phones and do tight soldering work everyday, that you might have luck in your town. Have an ask about, some phone shops might replace screens but no more, but I think if fixing charging sockets is something they can do, a mobo recap (with nice big electrolytes) should be easy for them.

Find a place that looks like it has someone there who used to mod Xboxs 😀

Good luck

Reply 2 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Not in UK but a local shop that worked on digi cameras used to do some side solder work but has moved. Just a thought about looking at other electro repair places....

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 3 of 8, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

A small phone/camera PCB with miniscule components and a PC mainboard with massive ground planes sucking up large amounts of heat need very different tools. Can't hurt to ask around though - just don't be surprised if they say they're not equipped for it.

Reply 4 of 8, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You could try asking on Amibay, there are people that offer their expertise for that sort of thing. E.g. there's a guy in the Midlands that repairs CRTs. Probably other folk on there that could help too.

Reply 7 of 8, by CU_AMiGA

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-13, 10:30:

contact GadgetUK (Retro Gaming Repairs & Mods) guy https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCRBWJ9JeJ3Q8ssn_ibii-Cg

Thanks. I have actually watch many of his youtube videos before. Does he have an email address (or any other contact info), or can you only cantact him by dropping a comment on youtube?

Reply 8 of 8, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can also try asking on Badcaps.net. Quite a few members from the UK there, with many doing electronics repair on component level.

Before you do any of that, though, have a look at your motherboard again. Just because it's from the bad cap era doesn't mean it will have bad capacitor brands. Some motherboards had all Japanese brands without any of them being from the known affected / bad series (i.e. Nichicon HM/HN/HZ from 2001-2004, UCC KZG, and Sanyo WF.) If your motherboard is like that, you can leave the original caps, as they won't be an issue. Now, if they are from some non-Japanese brand, then yes, replacement should be considered.