VOGONS

First post, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I dont know if this is the right place but ...

Does anyone know why people are asking this insane prices for this 1.2 GB SCSI hard drives on Ebay?
I see prices on ebay from $150 to $30... insane

I have one and I dont think this is anything special.. its just a Quantum that makes Quantum nice sounds and has SCSI 50 pin interface...

https://www.ebay.com/itm/404688732680?hash=it … %3ABFBMvOWh2bNj

Thanx

Reply 1 of 14, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

150 USD seems insane indeed.
But 30 USD... if the drive is working, tested, with no bad sectors - I would say the price is OK.

What's the price of modern replacements, like SCSI2SD ?

Żywotwór planetarny, jego gnijące błoto, jest świtem egzystencji, fazą wstępną, i wyłoni się z krwawych ciastomózgowych miedź miłująca...

Reply 3 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

There are particular drives, particular motherboards, particular monitors, that were used in medical, manufacturing or engineering equipment, even synthesisers and music production equipment, where the thing it is plugged into, is still worth multi thousands and may be hundred of thousands for modern replacement. Then also it might be doing work that makes money 24/7 ... so originally used parts that are just "drop in" for those systems and installations go for high prices. Bear in mind though, asking for the big price, you gotta deal with the big angry if the one you sell doesn't perform or dies quick because the moneymaker isn't making.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 14, by douglar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Grzyb wrote on 2024-02-12, 14:34:

150 USD seems insane indeed.
But 30 USD... if the drive is working, tested, with no bad sectors - I would say the price is OK.

What's the price of modern replacements, like SCSI2SD ?

I think OP meant $150 to $300 maybe?

SCSI2SD should be available for less than $100 and in the year 2024, that's is likely a more reliable solution, because the number of vintage 1995 drives that work reliably is getting smaller by the day.

Reply 6 of 14, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-12, 14:59:

There are particular drives, particular motherboards, particular monitors, that were used in medical, manufacturing or engineering equipment, even synthesisers and music production equipment, where the thing it is plugged into, is still worth multi thousands and may be hundred of thousands for modern replacement. Then also it might be doing work that makes money 24/7 ... so originally used parts that are just "drop in" for those systems and installations go for high prices. Bear in mind though, asking for the big price, you gotta deal with the big angry if the one you sell doesn't perform or dies quick because the moneymaker isn't making.

aha
ok that makes sense... if the part is very specific to some device
To me it is just another SCSI hard drive in my collection ... and it has that awesome Quantum initialization sound...

Reply 7 of 14, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zerthimon wrote on 2024-02-12, 15:20:

These model drives are known for the degrading rubber pad, that latches the head deadlock. I highly recommend avoiding these.

Mine works fine
But yeah I've had Quantum drives where those (there are 3, 2 in the head assembly and 1 under the platters ) stoppers turn into black goo

Reply 8 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-02-12, 15:22:
aha ok that makes sense... if the part is very specific to some device To me it is just another SCSI hard drive in my collectio […]
Show full quote

aha
To me it is just another SCSI hard drive in my collection ... and it has that awesome Quantum initialization sound...

I think it was a dynamometer for testing car horsepower that held P2B motherboard prices high until the 2010s, then I think it was for that, a third party company offered a system upgrade package using newer commodity components that was all tested to work, and the P2B prices halved quickly, but became popuar for retro shortly after so have been spiking again.

Another one was a particular floppy drive for Roland synthesisers, that was going for near $200 at one point, but then kits came out for floppy emulators for them and it's settled back down to barely more than other drives these days.

So the prices can also fall off a relative cliff when the cost of maintenance provokes someone to make a more modern solution... probably won't happen for medical and aviation though, one small change and the whole kit needs full and expensive recertification.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 10 of 14, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2024-02-12, 16:03:

It's probably a model that was used in old Macs or something. Everything related to Mac or Amiga (even if it's just a regular item like a SCSI drive) tends to be absurdly priced.

It does has the Mac logo ... 🤣
But cant you use a regular SCSI hard drive on a Mac ?

Thanx

Reply 11 of 14, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-02-12, 15:47:
I think it was a dynamometer for testing car horsepower that held P2B motherboard prices high until the 2010s, then I think it w […]
Show full quote
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-02-12, 15:22:
aha ok that makes sense... if the part is very specific to some device To me it is just another SCSI hard drive in my collectio […]
Show full quote

aha

I think it was a dynamometer for testing car horsepower that held P2B motherboard prices high until the 2010s, then I think it was for that, a third party company offered a system upgrade package using newer commodity components that was all tested to work, and the P2B prices halved quickly, but became popuar for retro shortly after so have been spiking again.

Another one was a particular floppy drive for Roland synthesisers, that was going for near $200 at one point, but then kits came out for floppy emulators for them and it's settled back down to barely more than other drives these days.

So the prices can also fall off a relative cliff when the cost of maintenance provokes someone to make a more modern solution... probably won't happen for medical and aviation though, one small change and the whole kit needs full and expensive recertification.

haha!
Some years ago I sold an HP motherboard I think "vectra" and the guy asked me.. "are you sure you only want 10 euros?" and he clearly was some kind of repair tech so probably he was using it to repair some ultra expensive industrial hardware or so... 🤣
Should have asked more 😜

Reply 12 of 14, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Nunoalex wrote on 2024-02-12, 18:20:
It does has the Mac logo ... lol But cant you use a regular SCSI hard drive on a Mac ? […]
Show full quote
TheMobRules wrote on 2024-02-12, 16:03:

It's probably a model that was used in old Macs or something. Everything related to Mac or Amiga (even if it's just a regular item like a SCSI drive) tends to be absurdly priced.

It does has the Mac logo ... 🤣
But cant you use a regular SCSI hard drive on a Mac ?

Thanx

Course you can, but then you are polluting your pristine Mac with dirty non-Apple parts 😜

Reply 13 of 14, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sadly anything SCSI seems to be expensive these days. Well except the retired server parts with 80-pin connectors, these are dirt cheap - but usually also loud as hell (10k or even 15k RPM drives).
If it's Mac stuff it'll have double or triple the price, though to be frank I don't know much about Apple products, could be the firmware in the drive is somehow customized. That would not surprise me, even if it's otherwise SCSI compatible.

Reply 14 of 14, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What will tend to put your guesstimator off when it comes to SCSI, is that the SCSI drives you think are equivalent to IDE drives in size and speed, were probably 2 years older than those. Then they probably only had a tenth the consumer market penetration. When they were used en-masse in servers and power user workstations, they were usually scrapped en-masse when retired. Then also when they were used, they were USED, beat on daily, so attrition from wear is much higher. Quite often in Novell, NT server deployments, offices and colleges etc, the few hundred desktops would almost not touch their own IDE drives they'd boot off the server, get applications off the server, save work to the server, so their drives got very light use, while the SCSI of the same age did it all. So those were wore out but maybe some of those IDE drives are still kicking.

With Macs and Amigas, it gets to be that same "known to work" thing that tends to happen to pre 1990ish IDE, the BIOS or whatever likes this particular drive, works with this particular drive, so those SCSI drives and the type 17, 26 or whatever BIOS favored IDE drives go for larger coin. Modern example is what drives an Xbox 360 likes.

Many also were not cheap in the first place, like Obsidian graphics vs run of the mill Voodoos, I've got one hulking monster of a 1GB drive that if I was asking a tenth of release list price for it, it would still be several hundreds. That would be because at the time it was made 1GB was unfathomably brain exploding large, I think premium systems were coming with 120MB tops.