VOGONS

First post, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, I picked up a good condition AT&T globalyst 200s laptop computer (circa 1995)

It is a 486dx4/100 with a proprietary ram expansion daughter card .

When plugged in, the daughter card does sometimes show 20mb ram (4 onboard + 16 expansion) but then it crashes. Sometimes, i doesn't recognize it on boot.

I'll try to provide photos later but it uses some custom pin /connectors.

1) Is there a way to isolate bad ram chip vs. bad socket
2) the ram is transcend "lifetime warranty" but I presume warranty is not honored for vintage laptops - anyone else have thoughts?
3) has anyone else ever experienced this before.

Even without the ram, this would be a good laptop for DOS games +/- win3.11. However, 4mb ram for windows 95?!! => sounds grindy.

Interested in your thoughts/experence.

Reply 1 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
kleung21 wrote on 2024-02-12, 20:37:

AT&T globalyst ... proprietary ram expansion daughter card

I feel personally called out 😀

When plugged in, the daughter card does sometimes show 20mb ram (4 onboard + 16 expansion) but then it crashes. Sometimes, i doesn't recognize it on boot.

intermittent so most likely bad connection

I'll try to provide photos later but it uses some custom pin /connectors.

Please do, high res front and back, preferably also good quality picture of whole motherboard. Its possible we could even cook up bigger capacity replacement module.

Interested in your thoughts/experence.

I could say I have some experience with AT&T globalyst custom memory expansions (look at signature) 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 6, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Great to have a ram expert in house.

Here are some pics of the board 16 mb ram expansion. Looks pretty good to me.

Attachments

• IMG_5172.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5172.jpeg
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_5173.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_5173.jpeg
    File size
    1.48 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 3 of 6, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

And here is the motherboard socket for the ram expansion

I have circled where the ram plugs in

Attachments

Reply 4 of 6, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

From the photos looks like a couple of areas of maybe something sticky, and a few bits of debris near tracks near one of the connectors on the motherboard. Could be worth cleaning up and checking for any broken/shorted tracks.

Attachments

• OddMarks2.jpg
    Filename
    OddMarks2.jpg
    File size
    38.02 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception
  • OddMarks1.jpg
    Filename
    OddMarks1.jpg
    File size
    63.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 5 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

AT&T Globalist 200S = NCR Safari 3152 = Samsung NoteMaster 486P = SAMSUNG SENS 700
https://adnoteh.ro/retrowikid/index.php/AT%26 … _Globalist_200S
16MB is theoretical max, cant tell if really max without seeing whole motherboard front and back (chipset etc) looks like 200 has very similar motherboard, PicoPower PT86C368 chipset with no available documentation 🙁 https://www.ebay.com/itm/112655868253
Nice and shiny solder on the module. First things first wiggle all connectors looking at pins, or better yet get yourself thin screwdriver/metal pick and try poking all pins under magnifying glass checking if any move. Then remove all sticker from module and do same for ram. If you have a scanner please scan this ram - gives better quality than photos 😀
Did you take care of cmos battery? they love to leak.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 6, by kleung21

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the quick response. Eagle eyes. The smudges are from tape holding the cross battery wires so could have damage there. The discoloration I will see if it has bad traces

Any concerns if I use battery terminal cleaner spray on the pins/ contacts,?

The CMOS battery looked good but upon removal. Corrosion was noted at the contact terminals as electrolyte tracked along the cables