VOGONS

First post, by bogdanpaulb

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello,

for my all in one WinXP/Win7/Win10 machine i opted for a GA-P55-UD3 motherboard, why:

- it has SATA, IDE, FDD, Serial, Parallel, PCI and PCI-E slots and support for Xeon X3480.

Now, because i like to make things work in ways that they were not suppose to and based on the fact that the memory controller is in the CPU for this series, the X3480 has ECC memory support and the spirits that showed up in my dreams:) lead me to do the following experiment:

- buy a unbuffered ECC ddr3 memory stick and see if it works (even if the manufacturer site specifies that there is no ECC memory support).

To my surprise (not too big, i have not seen memory slots with missing pins, so if all the traces from the CPU were connected to the memory slots, electronically, all should be fine) it works perfectly (stable, no BSOD's) but:

- wmic MemoryChip get DataWidth,TotalWidth returns: DataWidth 196 TotalWidth 256 (so it looks like ECC).
- wmic MemPhysical get MemoryErrorCorrection returns: 3 (which means no ECC correction).

Any ideas? Thank you!