VOGONS

First post, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, first post here.

Recently found an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT (VGA) and a PC - Pentium 3 (450mhz), SE440BX2 motherboard, 128mb system memory.

I'm looking to get this thing setup for an affordable price with a soundcard, HDD, and GPU off eBay to start using, but as I was looking I found there are major differences with compatibility for DOS and Win98 through using AGP, PCI, and ISA for the soundcard and GPU.

All I'm asking:
What GPU and Soundcard combo can I get for a good price that would give me great compatibility for both DOS and Win98 games?
What storage should I use?
Do I need to replace the PSU? (it seems fine)?

Thanks

Reply 1 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
bten wrote on 2024-02-13, 16:44:

All I'm asking:
What GPU and Soundcard combo can I get for a good price that would give me great compatibility for both DOS and Win98 games?

Assuming you have AGP:
Geforce 2 MX400 or Geforce 4 MX440 or Geforce MX460
These are affordable, accessible and compatible.

ISA, for DOS:
ESS AudioDrive ES1868F or 1869F or Sound Blaster Vibra16
These are generally accessible and affordable. People sometimes complain they are not real OPL (some Vibra16 are), but close enough.

PCI for Windows 98:
Creative Sound Blaster Live! SB0060 or SB0100 or SB0220
Generally affordable, common and support EAX2

For both W98 and DOS:
ISA: Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
PCI: ESS Solo-1
Not as affordable as they used to be, but still not too expensive. There are some compromises on both the W98 and DOS fronts, but you cover both with a single card so you can come out cheaper than having both a dedicated DOS and Windows sound card.

For convenience, SATA SSD with an IDE adapter. You don't need more than 64GB at this performance level. Don't go above 128GB.

It's recommended. Your PC don't seem to be heavy on the 5V rail so I'd expect any decent quality PSU with more than 15A on their 5V rail can handle it. You could look for 18A just to be safe.

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 2 of 18, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If you are on a budget i would go with a cmedia card like the Terratech Aureon 5.1 Fun. It can run dos games in dma mode without being ISA or have an an link. They are also very inexpensive.

Reply 3 of 18, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
RandomStranger wrote on 2024-02-13, 17:13:

For convenience, SATA SSD with an IDE adapter. You don't need more than 64GB at this performance level. Don't go above 128GB.

I see some people recommend compact flash, what's the advantage of CF over a SATA SSD?

It's recommended. Your PC don't seem to be heavy on the 5V rail so I'd expect any decent quality PSU with more than 15A on their 5V rail can handle it. You could look for 18A just to be safe.

Are there any new PSUs for sale that have enough Molex connectors and floppy? Or do people generally buy used PSUs for these?

Also: thanks for the great info, this was super informative.

Reply 4 of 18, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
bten wrote on 2024-02-13, 17:36:

I see some people recommend compact flash, what's the advantage of CF over a SATA SSD?

CompactFlash is convenient if you want a swappable drive or to be able to plug into a modern PC for file transfers. They're usually best with DOS.

For Windows 98, you'll want an SSD for the increased storage capacity and/or performance.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 5 of 18, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

32-64GB SSD can be had for $10-15, CF has no advantages.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 18, by RandomStranger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Lifetime and price. CF cards got expensive and W98 wears them out much quicker.

Are there any new PSUs for sale that have enough Molex connectors and floppy? Or do people generally buy used PSUs for these?

Also: thanks for the great info, this was super informative.

The EVGA 500 W1 has 1 floppy connector and 3 molex and 20A on 5V. That should be enough. You can also get SATA>Molex adapters.
https://www.evga.com/products/product.aspx?pn=100-W1-0500-KR

sreq.png retrogamer-s.png

Reply 7 of 18, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

you can continue using it keeping in mind it will need capacitor service, or just replace all electrolytic now (except for the two big ones, those will be fine)

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 8 of 18, by acl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Assuming you have AGP: Geforce 2 MX400 or Geforce 4 MX440 or Geforce MX460 These are affordable, accessible and compatible. […]
Show full quote

All I'm asking:

Assuming you have AGP:
Geforce 2 MX400 or Geforce 4 MX440 or Geforce MX460
These are affordable, accessible and compatible.

ISA, for DOS:
ESS AudioDrive ES1868F or 1869F or Sound Blaster Vibra16
These are generally accessible and affordable. People sometimes complain they are not real OPL (some Vibra16 are), but close enough.

PCI for Windows 98:
Creative Sound Blaster Live! SB0060 or SB0100 or SB0220
Generally affordable, common and support EAX2

For both W98 and DOS:
ISA: Creative Sound Blaster AWE64 Value
PCI: ESS Solo-1
Not as affordable as they used to be, but still not too expensive. There are some compromises on both the W98 and DOS fronts, but you cover both with a single card so you can come out cheaper than having both a dedicated DOS and Windows sound card.

I 100% second that.

"Hello, my friend. Stay awhile and listen..."
My collection (not up to date)

Reply 9 of 18, by jf_80_

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Compact Flash natively uses Parallel ATA, so it appears to be a standard hard disk to most computers. It is much more likely to work on very old systems where a SSD or SD card will not.

Reply 10 of 18, by VivienM

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
jf_80_ wrote on 2024-02-13, 20:28:

Compact Flash natively uses Parallel ATA, so it appears to be a standard hard disk to most computers. It is much more likely to work on very old systems where a SSD or SD card will not.

But isn't CF going to be a bit on the slow side for a PIII 440BX?

Reply 11 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Hi, first post here. […]
Show full quote

Hi, first post here.

Recently found an Apple Studio Display 17" CRT (VGA) and a PC - Pentium 3 (450mhz), SE440BX2 motherboard, 128mb system memory.

I'm looking to get this thing setup for an affordable price with a soundcard, HDD, and GPU off eBay to start using, but as I was looking I found there are major differences with compatibility for DOS and Win98 through using AGP, PCI, and ISA for the soundcard and GPU.

All I'm asking:

Thanks

First up: the SE440BX2 frequently came with Yamaha YMF740C audio chip onboard. If so you already have an excellent option for Windows and DOS. Does yours have it?

Reply 12 of 18, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-02-13, 23:42:

First up: the SE440BX2 frequently came with Yamaha YMF740C audio chip onboard. If so you already have an excellent option for Windows and DOS. Does yours have it?

I will have to look when I'm at home over the weekend...
I don't have a PS/2 M+K yet either 🤣, so if I can tell by looking at the board I'll reply again on Friday or Saturday.

Reply 13 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bten wrote on 2024-02-14, 16:52:
dionb wrote on 2024-02-13, 23:42:

I will have to look when I'm at home over the weekend...
I don't have a PS/2 M+K yet either 🤣, so if I can tell by looking at the board I'll reply again on Friday or Saturday.

Look at the ATX back panel - does it have 3x 3.5mm jack connectors and a DA15 joystick/MIDI port? If not, then definitely nope.

If it does, look for a square chip with "Yahama" inscription in front of the PCI slots. That's the one...

Reply 14 of 18, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-02-14, 22:25:

Look at the ATX back panel - does it have 3x 3.5mm jack connectors and a DA15 joystick/MIDI port? If not, then definitely nope.
If it does, look for a square chip with "Yahama" inscription in front of the PCI slots. That's the one...

Cool thanks, will update here once I get a look at it.
I appreciate all the helpful info, this community seems great.

Reply 15 of 18, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

There is a Yamaha chip (YMF740C-V)
Is that the one? And in that case should I just get an ISA card for DOS then?

Reply 16 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bten wrote on 2024-02-17, 00:36:

There is a Yamaha chip (YMF740C-V)
Is that the one? And in that case should I just get an ISA card for DOS then?

That's the one!

I'm not totally sure, but I suspect the YMF740 on this board is hooked up via SBLink, so behaves like ISA even though it is PCI.

In that case you may not need a separate ISA card, as the YMF740 already gives you SBPro2 support, real OPL3 (it's Yamaha after all) and bug-free MPU-401 MIDI.

Reply 17 of 18, by bten

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-02-17, 01:46:

I'm not totally sure, but I suspect the YMF740 on this board is hooked up via SBLink, so behaves like ISA even though it is PCI.

In that case you may not need a separate ISA card, as the YMF740 already gives you SBPro2 support, real OPL3 (it's Yamaha after all) and bug-free MPU-401 MIDI.

Cool, so this onboard audio is gonna be just as good as a pci / isa card?
That would save some $$$ for the build.

Reply 18 of 18, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
bten wrote on 2024-02-18, 01:22:

[...]

Cool, so this onboard audio is gonna be just as good as a pci / isa card?
That would save some $$$ for the build.

For Windows: definitely. Only thing you are missing is positional audio, and games that use that wouldn't run well on a P3-450 anyway.
For DOS: quite possibly. In any case give it a try, if it ends up disappointing you can always add an ISA card later.