VOGONS

First post, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

As a compulsive laptop hoarder I have many notebooks in my collection, some I love dearly more than others.

The "Bumpgate" issues Apparently affect quite a few systems.

I've had the following chip issues with collection machines.

HP G62 AMD vision - ATI RX780/RS880M Chipset failure...no fix available other than to let the system run once heated up.

HP DV6-2030SA - Same as above, however more temperamental, tempted to replace motherboard with intel GMA version.

Compaq Presario F700 - has the Nvidia MCP67MV-A2 and has power issues...not sure if I'll bother fixing that one as I don't think a patch was ever made. Sucks as I love AMD notebooks and this Presario is quite cool.

Alienware Aurora M9700i-R1 - currently don't own one but a friend has one he's keeping asside for me. These run Nvidia G72 based Geforce Go 7600GSes in SLI and apparently that chip is peak Bumpgate, the GPUs are MXMII so replacements are possible so long as they aren't also affected.

Alienware Area-51 M7700 D900T - motherboard kinda blew up so the GPU isn't my current focus, however it uses an Nvidia Quadro 1400FX go, which is based off the Geforce 6800 (however it's the NV41 not the NV42 chip so I may have an advantage here).

Dell XPS M2010 - ATI Radeon X1800, apparently this is also a Bumpgate chip but again it's sort of MXM, tempted to steal the GPU from an Inspiron 6400 and somehow hack it into the M2010 so it at least turns on. Not too sure about that one.

IBM ThinkPad T42 - fixed by changing motherboard, kept the original and a Reball should fix that as it's not the chip but the balls.

If anyone can fill in some information on the Alienwares and XPS systems that would be amazing as those one take priority above all else... Thank you for listening.

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The T42 was ATI, but they'd put the GPU in an area of the motherboard that could flex when picked up from the front. That one's more an early lead-free BGA soldering issue rather than the 'BumpGate' issue. My IBM Thinkpad X31 died the same way and that was a radeon 7000 but not in an area that could flex so perhaps the flexing wasn't even it. The video chip on those models is a standard BGA rather than a flip chip but the memory is attached on the package which probably didn't help.

Doesn't BumpGate really affect all early flip chip GPUs & Chipsets? So not Nvidia specific. The ATi Radeon 9700 / 9800 era all seem to have failed from something like this and those were one of the first flip chip GPUs on the market. Also the RROD and YLOD issues on the 360 / PS3 seem to also be bumpgate so there's an entire era of electronics that are all failure prone until the bumps were improved.

Reply 2 of 2, by SuperLuke2003

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-02-14, 03:29:

The T42 was ATI, but they'd put the GPU in an area of the motherboard that could flex when picked up from the front. That one's more an early lead-free BGA soldering issue rather than the 'BumpGate' issue. My IBM Thinkpad X31 died the same way and that was a radeon 7000 but not in an area that could flex so perhaps the flexing wasn't even it. The video chip on those models is a standard BGA rather than a flip chip but the memory is attached on the package which probably didn't help.

Doesn't BumpGate really affect all early flip chip GPUs & Chipsets? So not Nvidia specific. The ATi Radeon 9700 / 9800 era all seem to have failed from something like this and those were one of the first flip chip GPUs on the market. Also the RROD and YLOD issues on the 360 / PS3 seem to also be bumpgate so there's an entire era of electronics that are all failure prone until the bumps were improved.

Apparently some 6800 series Nvidias escaped. But not the 7000s unfortunately.

I'm getting conflicting info with the m2010 some say it's the memory chips others say it's the core itself.

Still tempted to just rip it all out for something else.