VOGONS

First post, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm having issues with a particular slotket, the PCB is green and the only useful markings it has say "KIT370". It's apparently A-Trend KIT370 rev R03 according to this thread: Re: Fixing ASUS P2B freezes on memtest86+ modulo 20 test

So it looks to be working, tested with Celerons 400 and 500 on MSI MS-6119 mobo. But when the CPU/mobo run for a few minutes and get warm I get very repeatable freezes in Doom - be it the attract loop or a timing run. I am missing the plastic wings that stabilize the slotket in Slot1 side guides but I did my best to support it and make sure it doesn't move - in case it's vibrations from an almost dead fan on the cooler.

I don't think it's the CPUs or mobo (or RAM settings, not much else is there since L2 cache is on the CPU) - I have another slotket marked 370SP REV 2.0 (Fastfame brand?) and this one doesn't have this issue. It's also missing the plastic wings and was used with the same cooler and CPUs for testing. This slotket does have resistor packs for better termination of the signal lines though.

So, is that slotket somehow dodgy? I don't see any problems with the gold contacs, traces or the ZIF socket. It was cleaned (water+soap), dried, treated with IPA - doing same thing. I guess the lack of resistor packs and the particular mobo I'm using could be a factor? I don't have another mobo to test and frankly I'm not planning on getting any unless it's nice and cheap - so, not happening in other words. Perhaps if this one dies but I only got it recently and it seems fine so far, was also tested with 100MHz CPUs (P2-350, P3-600) and is stable.

BTW are there any known issues with GeForce2 MX400 and BX-chipset boards? Card POSTs fine but somehow the BIOS seems very slow (screen redraw, keyboard input), the RAM test count takes longer, and the P&P BIOS string prints out like on 9600 baud terminal. And every time I try to run memtest86 I can see a brief flash of blue as it starts and then black screen and system hangs. I don't have this problem with Savage4 in AGP slot, nor with Trio64 in PCI slot. I also have GF4 MX440 card, and while this one also feels a bit more sluggish during POST than Savage4 it does not hang memtest86. I can't quite remember now but I think some AGP cards had issues with slot speeds? Or is it just a faulty card - I haven't yet had time to test it in 3D, I'd have to do a fresh Win98 install for that I guess. What would even be a good test?