VOGONS

First post, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi, so I have this 440bx motherboard that died suddenly a couple of years ago. I don't remember doing anything to it, it just did not turn on one day. Tried multiple PSUs and both go into power protection mode. The PSUs are fine and work for instance with my socket 480 motherboard.

As I understand it, PSUs act like this when there is a short? With no components in the motherboard I measured on the ATX connector into the motherboard and no rails are shorted. Any tips on how to continue? Just do a recap? Any recommended videos? I'm eager to learn and I have nothing to loose.

If I remember correctly it is the MS6119 motherboard without coppermine support.

IMG_20240217_154945.jpg
Filename
IMG_20240217_154945.jpg
File size
1.68 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 7, by Zerthimon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

PSU going into protection means you havea short on the board. Recapping will not solve the issue. You need special equipment and skill to release the short.

When does PSU enter protection mode, when you connect power, or when you switch the board on via power switch?

Reply 5 of 7, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

then
>I measured on the ATX connector into the motherboard and no rails are shorted.
is not correct. Without pushing power button the only rail active is 5v standby - purple cable pin 9, measure between pins 7 and 9 on mobo ATX connector

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 6 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-17, 16:08:

then
>I measured on the ATX connector into the motherboard and no rails are shorted.
is not correct. Without pushing power button the only rail active is 5v standby - purple cable pin 9, measure between pins 7 and 9 on mobo ATX connector

This is helpful! Thank you.

Reply 7 of 7, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I got the tip to poke around and measure resistance on capacitors. I found two caps with the same values close to the ram slot that measured differently. Removed them from the board and one of them had failed closed. Maybe it is the reason, maybe it's nothing but I will try to replace these two and see if it works and if it does, do a full recap.