VOGONS

Reply 20 of 27, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There is a height limitation for the capacitors because it's inside the screen housing. Max height is 5mm and that means you'd have to carefully arrange any electrolytic capacitor on its side like silvestron did in his video.

Personally I'd go with MLCC capacitors because they're tiny and they're non polarised so they can't be installed backwards. They also won't leak (like electrolytic caps), explode (yellow tantalums) or be too expensive (polymer tantalums).

Here are my recommendations for surface mount capacitors which are less work to arrange in the casing:
C6 - search on ebay for "High Quality 1206 SMD/SMT Capacitors. ALL VALUES. 25pc. UK Seller. Fast Dispatch" they have an option for "4.7uF / 50V / X5R". That should work and fit nicely in the C6 footprint

C5 - ebay "10pcs 6.3V to 5KV 1812 SMD/SMT Capacitors Range 100PF 680PF 1NF 68NF to 100uF" value: "25V 33UF +-10% X7R"

C1 - ebay same as C5 but value "35V 10UF +-10% X7R"

Reply 21 of 27, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Thermalwrong wrote on 2024-02-28, 14:25:
There is a height limitation for the capacitors because it's inside the screen housing. Max height is 5mm and that means you'd h […]
Show full quote

There is a height limitation for the capacitors because it's inside the screen housing. Max height is 5mm and that means you'd have to carefully arrange any electrolytic capacitor on its side like silvestron did in his video.

Personally I'd go with MLCC capacitors because they're tiny and they're non polarised so they can't be installed backwards. They also won't leak (like electrolytic caps), explode (yellow tantalums) or be too expensive (polymer tantalums).

Here are my recommendations for surface mount capacitors which are less work to arrange in the casing:
C6 - search on ebay for "High Quality 1206 SMD/SMT Capacitors. ALL VALUES. 25pc. UK Seller. Fast Dispatch" they have an option for "4.7uF / 50V / X5R". That should work and fit nicely in the C6 footprint

C5 - ebay "10pcs 6.3V to 5KV 1812 SMD/SMT Capacitors Range 100PF 680PF 1NF 68NF to 100uF" value: "25V 33UF +-10% X7R"

C1 - ebay same as C5 but value "35V 10UF +-10% X7R"

There is a store which sells electronic stuff here in Vienna, so I will try there first for SMD caps, if not then I can order online. So voltage can be higher, but capacity must match?

Reply 22 of 27, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I only found these bellow, they are higher voltage but correct capacity. Guy didn't have SMD version. Will this work?

33 uF 35V (original is 25V)
4.7 uF, 63V (original is 35V)
10uF, 63V (original is 35V)

Attachments

Reply 23 of 27, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I managed to tear one trace while removing old caps but it is ground contact and I managed to solder new caps. Checked all connections and all seams fine. Also I find the polarity of the new caps using multimeter.
However my screen is white again! 🙁
What is wrong now? Poor quality caps?

Attachments

• IMG_4190.JPG
    Filename
    IMG_4190.JPG
    File size
    1.61 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 24 of 27, by nuno14272

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Not great .. usually the legs have the same distance. but will do the work.

UPS. isn't C5 soldered the wrong polarity ? be carefull...

1| 386DX40
2| P200mmx, Voodoo 1
3| PIII-450, Voodoo 3 3000

Reply 25 of 27, by boby

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
nuno14272 wrote on 2024-02-29, 10:18:

Not great .. usually the legs have the same distance. but will do the work.

UPS. isn't C5 soldered the wrong polarity ? be carefull...

Far from great. Too much solder and I needed to twist the legs so the cap can be on the PCB not touching other components.
But I can fix that, that is fine. But why it is not working. I tried soldering twice, the only thing that I could think of is faulty caps. I pay around $3 for 30 pieces.
Higher voltage than original caps is not the issue?
Regarding polarization, I put the red probe on multimeter on one leg, and the black one on the other. It shows a little voltage. If there is a minus prefix it means that Red probe (+) goes to other leg.
Am I right?
This is what I have:

Attachments