avg2.png
Filename
avg2.png
File size
152.05 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

And I noticed it mentioned a sound device from gravis called M/Sound seems to have 2 flavors :
1: Printer port device.
2: Internal Card.

Does anyone know anything about this?
Would be cool if someone did.

The section of the magazine also mentions CES , so maybe it was shown off there?

Reply 2 of 4, by digger

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed. Going by what these article describe, it looks like this company "Mountain Sound" had basically just produced an overpriced Covox Speech Thing clone. The "4 digital voices" was probably just in software, through a MOD player.

Maybe they offered the promised Tandy sound compatibility through something like Andrew Zabolotny's TEMU emulator. (Although I believe that wasn't released until a bit later in the 90s.)

If that's indeed the case, then it's frankly disappointing that Gravis actually fell for it, and acquired them without performing any serious due diligence beforehand. I guess that humiliation made them all the more determined to develop the Ultrasound card, a few years later. (That's purely speculation on my part, though.)

Thanks for sharing these news articles.

Reply 3 of 4, by AppleSauce

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
digger wrote on 2024-02-20, 23:11:
Indeed. Going by what these article describe, it looks like this company "Mountain Sound" had basically just produced an overpri […]
Show full quote

Indeed. Going by what these article describe, it looks like this company "Mountain Sound" had basically just produced an overpriced Covox Speech Thing clone. The "4 digital voices" was probably just in software, through a MOD player.

Maybe they offered the promised Tandy sound compatibility through something like Andrew Zabolotny's TEMU emulator. (Although I believe that wasn't released until a bit later in the 90s.)

If that's indeed the case, then it's frankly disappointing that Gravis actually fell for it, and acquired them without performing any serious due diligence beforehand. I guess that humiliation made them all the more determined to develop the Ultrasound card, a few years later. (That's purely speculation on my part, though.)

Thanks for sharing these news articles.

Yeah no worries , I'm always happy to share anything I find about forgotten hardware.

Reply 4 of 4, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Would love to have been a fly on the wall when some overenthusiastic Gravis manager told their engineers what he thought he'd just bought and they told him exactly what it was instead...