VOGONS

First post, by jonsantos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi folks,

I was given a Dell Latitude D810 recently and, even though it's a laptop that was released for the XP-era, I decided to give it a try with Windows 98 SE.

To my surprise, I've managed to find all the important drivers and the installation went quite smooth. I've got audio, video, network and chipset installed (with some caveats).

Most of the problems I've had, I've managed to find solutions online, apart from the ones below. I'd like to ask whether any of you have come across similar issues and whether you managed to overcome it or not.

1. When I install Windows 98, it sets up the Storage Controller with a bunch of generic drivers and it seems to work well and detect everything. However, once I install the official Intel chipset driver (ICH6). A new driver for the Storage Controller is installed (Intel(R) 82801FBM Ultra ATA Storage Controller) and it can't detect the dvdrom anymore. It also mentions that the device is causing a resource conflict, but when I look at the resources, it doesn't show any. I believe this conflict has something to do with the fact that the dvdrom is not detected. I tried to change the last "Input/Output Range", which didn't have any conflict and is the only Resource type that Windows allows me to manually change, but the laptop freezes and I have to do a hard reboot. I tried to change it in Safe Mode as well, and even though it didn't freeze, nothing really changes on the system.
2. I see on System Info that most of the devices are sharing the same IRCs even though there are four (IRQs) free. I see that the computer struggles with it in some occasions, including the start up sound, that stutters when playing during the initialization, probably because it's sharing its IRQ with many other devices (video, modem, etc...). I know that some computers have an option on the BIOS to configure some IRQs, but it's not my case. Windows also won't let me change any IRQs. Is there anything I could do here to manually set them and remove some of the conflicts/sharing?
3. The third problem is the modem and honestly, I think these problems are all related. I have the correct driver for this modem, but it crashes when it's finalizing the modem setup with the new driver. Something related to a Msgsrv32 error, that in turn, points to an exception on SETUPX.DLL

Any help/idea is appreciated.

Thanks!