VOGONS

First post, by sofakng

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been lucky enough to purchase both a Vortex 2 (Diamond MX300) and Audigy 2 ZS but I'm wondering which sound card to use for each game.

If I understand correctly the Vortex 2 supports EAX 1.x [?] (driver 2048) but it's not a good implementation so I think the Vortex should only be used for A3D games?

However, there are a bunch of games that support both EAX and A3D. Is there a chart or guide for selecting the best sound card (Vortex vs Audigy) for each game?

More specifically, for Half-Life and Unreal should I use the Vortex 2 for A3D (older driver 2041) and just ignore/disable the EAX support?

Thanks for any advice!

Reply 1 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
sofakng wrote on 2024-02-22, 15:47:

If I understand correctly the Vortex 2 supports EAX 1.x [?] (driver 2048) but it's not a good implementation so I think the Vortex should only be used for A3D games?

Correct. The EAX implementation in 2048 drivers is not good. Stick to A3D on Vortex 2 cards, and avoid 2048 drivers if possible.

However, there are a bunch of games that support both EAX and A3D. Is there a chart or guide for selecting the best sound card (Vortex vs Audigy) for each game?

Rule of thumb for Win9x: if you're using headphones, go with A3D. If you have a 5.1 speaker setup, use EAX.

Furthermore, A3D 2.0 has advanced wavetracing effects which can make the soundstage more realistic, if properly supported by the game. In practice, I find that this varies on a case by case basis. For example, I love A3D 2.0 in Unreal, Quake 3 and Voyager: Elite Force. But in Half-Life, A3D 2.0 doesn't sound that much better compared to EAX, at least to my ears.

P.S.

What I mentioned above applies to gaming under Win9x. However, if you're playing under WinXP using an X-Fi card with CMSS-3D enabled, EAX can sound really nice. Creative improved their positional audio algorithms over the years, and the X-Fi implementation is the best of the bunch.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 5, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I always choose A3D over EAX. Reason being is that even A3D 1.0 was a proper positional audio implementation, whereas EAX was about adding things like reverb and other environmental effects.

While headphones is best for positional audio, even with 2.1 speakers I'm still amazed at how good position audio using A3D can sound in games.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 3 of 5, by ubiq

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-02-22, 16:07:
Correct. The EAX implementation in 2048 drivers is not good. Stick to A3D on Vortex 2 cards, and avoid 2048 drivers if possible. […]
Show full quote
sofakng wrote on 2024-02-22, 15:47:

Correct. The EAX implementation in 2048 drivers is not good. Stick to A3D on Vortex 2 cards, and avoid 2048 drivers if possible.

Rule of thumb for Win9x: if you're using headphones, go with A3D. If you have a 5.1 speaker setup, use EAX.

Furthermore, A3D 2.0 has advanced wavetracing effects which can make the soundstage more realistic, if properly supported by the game. In practice, I find that this varies on a case by case basis. For example, I love A3D 2.0 in Unreal, Quake 3 and Voyager: Elite Force. But in Half-Life, A3D 2.0 doesn't sound that much better compared to EAX, at least to my ears.

P.S.

What I mentioned above applies to gaming under Win9x. However, if you're playing under WinXP using an X-Fi card with CMSS-3D enabled, EAX can sound really nice. Creative improved their positional audio algorithms over the years, and the X-Fi implementation is the best of the bunch.

Interesting! Back in the day, my last sound card was a Hercules Game Theatre XP (Crystal CS4630 I think?) before I started just using onboard AC97. Recently picked up and put an X-Fi card in my XP system, but wasn't really sure what advantage it might provide.

Reply 4 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Shponglefan wrote on 2024-02-22, 17:20:

I always choose A3D over EAX. Reason being is that even A3D 1.0 was a proper positional audio implementation, whereas EAX was about adding things like reverb and other environmental effects.

Games using EAX can provide positional audio through DirectSound3D (of which EAX is an extension).

I agree that this often sounds better on A3D, especially when using headphones. But on the flip side, you get full 5.1 surround sound support in many EAX titles, which is quite nice if you're using surround speakers. See this thread for more details: List of Win9x games with surround sound support

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155

Reply 5 of 5, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
ubiq wrote on 2024-02-22, 17:29:

Interesting! Back in the day, my last sound card was a Hercules Game Theatre XP (Crystal CS4630 I think?) before I started just using onboard AC97. Recently picked up and put an X-Fi card in my XP system, but wasn't really sure what advantage it might provide.

Higher levels of EAX (3.0 and up) can also provide additional features like environment morphing/panning. While EAX 5.0, which is exclusive to X-Fi cards, gives you pure path sound positioning and better subwoofer use, in addition to improved CMSS for headphone users. Play some Battlefield 2 on an X-Fi card and you'll see what I mean.

More details and videos showcasing EAX in action can be found here: EAX appreciation thread