VOGONS

First post, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

EDIT: read the post below, the problem was due to a broken trace.

I've been restoring an ASUS ISA-486SV2 rev 2.4 motherboard, I got it very cheap as it was listed in "not working" condition and was also full of grime, most of the SIMM slots were mangled and broken (as if someone had just ripped out the modules instead of unlocking the clips), leaking battery had been removed by the previous owner but there was some corrosion near ground zero.

I first cleaned the corrosion, removed socketed components and gave the board a good wash with deionized water. Then, I proceeded with the repairs: re-tinning dull solder around the battery area, replaced a couple of 47pF ceramic caps that had been obliterated by the corrosion and replaced all SIMM slots with new ones since the original ones were unusable. The board ended up looking pretty nice, very shiny and without need for bodge wires or other unsightly fixes:

ISA-486SV2.jpg
Filename
ISA-486SV2.jpg
File size
843.85 KiB
Views
File comment
ISA-486SV2 REV. 2.4
File license
Public domain

The first few tests were promising, as it booted right away, was able to enter the BIOS, configure the settings and all that. The problems started when trying to boot DOS, either from a floppy disk or a hard drive, as I always get a longer than usual "beep" after POST followed by a "0KB CACHE MEMORY" message before the OS tries to boot and hangs at "Starting MS-DOS...", even if I set L2 cache to "Disabled" in the BIOS.

However, I have noticed that if I remove the cache TAG chip I can boot to DOS with L2 cache disabled and everything works as expected other than the obvious penalty performance of not having L2 cache.

I'm not sure how to proceed with the troubleshooting at this point, so I will list all the symptoms I am experiencing and things I've tried so far in case someone has an idea of what may be happening here.

This is what I've found during my tests:

• As mentioned above, regardless of the cache configuration I select with the jumpers and SRAM chips, I always get "0KB CACHE MEMORY" after POST
  • The OS will NOT boot (even with L2 disabled) unless I remove the cache TAG chip, removing it boots and works properly but obviously with L2 disabled in the BIOS
  • When the TAG chip is inserted, I get a slightly longer "beeeep" after POST as opposed to the regular "beep" and correct behavior when the TAG is removed
  • I tested with several sets of working SRAM chips (in both 128KB and 256KB configurations) and got the same results and the "0KB CACHE MEMORY" message
  • The set of Toshiba SRAM chips that came on the board test OK in my TL866 and appear to work just fine on other motherboards
  • No chip gets above barely warm, the "hottest" one is the 74F245 near the SRAM chips, which may be suspicious due to its location but it doesn't really get hot, just warm
  • Tested with various CPUs, memory modules and ISA/VLB graphics/controller cards, all of them seem to work and have no effect on the L2 behavior
  • There is some oxidation on the 14.318MHz crystal due to the battery leak, but not sure if this has anything to do with the cache, especially considering the board works fine without L2

Any help or suggestion is appreciated, right now I'm leaning towards something being wrong with the cache selection jumpers and the associated decoding logic, but I need to understand how the circuit works first. I am attaching the manual for this board I found in the Retro Web as well as a BIOS dump (it seems like an older version than the one available at the Retro Web).

Attachments

Last edited by TheMobRules on 2024-02-27, 03:52. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Tried another cpu?
Board might always display amount of cache detected, even when its disabled. It not detecting any might mean there is something wrong between cache and main CPU bus.
You can look into my signature to see typical ASYNC 486 cache diagram. TAG chip outputs always go back to the chipset/cache controller. The only explanation I can come up with is something weird with TAG chip socket? like when you insert chip into it it shorts some CPU address pins together?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 2 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-24, 23:33:

Tried another cpu?
Board might always display amount of cache detected, even when its disabled. It not detecting any might mean there is something wrong between cache and main CPU bus.
You can look into my signature to see typical ASYNC 486 cache diagram. TAG chip outputs always go back to the chipset/cache controller. The only explanation I can come up with is something weird with TAG chip socket? like when you insert chip into it it shorts some CPU address pins together?

Yeah, I tried a few, 486DX, DX2, SX. Same thing with all of them.

Cache sockets look fine, but it may be worth trying to remove at least the TAG one as it will also make it easier to spot exactly where each trace underneath it goes to.

Reply 3 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Before removing sockets try pulling any other chip while leaving TAG in. I have a suspicion it will behave same way as with TAG removed, ergo its not TAGs fault. Might be flaky connection to one of SRAMs, floating CE or OE would do it.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 4 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, so I ran a few more tests, and what I found is that if the TAG chip is inserted, regardless of whether any of the other 8 cache sockets are populated or not, I get the slightly long POST beep and it hangs on "Starting MS-DOS...". Also I noticed that the table that displays the AMIBIOS settings after POST is drawn very slowly when this happens. Something messing up the bus probably?

On the other hand, as long as I keep the TAG socket empty, I get the regular short POST beep and everything works fine, even with the L2 set to Enabled in BIOS! But with "0KB CACHE MEMORY" obviously. This works with 0 or more cache chips inserted, unless it's the TAG. As soon as I insert the TAG chip, it freaks out (I tried several different chips on the tag socket just to be sure, but as I mentioned above they all work fine on other boards).

The TAG socket looks perfectly fine, I'll try to trace the different pins to see if there's any obvious breaks before any attempts at desoldering.

Reply 5 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

0KB cache means bios tried detecting cache size but determined there is none or malfunctioning - in that case it will not enable Cache at all. Disabled cache will deactivate cache controller TAG inputs. I cant come up with a scenario where behavior you describe would make sense 🙁 How would TAGs presence make difference to how SRAM chips influence data bus. TAG chip is not wired in any way to data SRAM chips.
Hmm now I see there are jumpers on board to disable cache, what happens if you power up with all sram chips and jumpers set to disabled and 128KB?
Are you sure Turbo is not enabled?
https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-i … -486sv2-rev-2.4 has different bios and pdf of SIS 460 with pin numbers for all cache signals, will help you checking if all cache chips are connected with no breaks.
If you manage to find whats wrong and fix it the next step is modding in Alter bit SRAM for L2 Write-Back support 😀

Reply 7 of 20, by PC@LIVE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I saw the cache problem, so you should try (if you haven't already done so), looking at the manual and see if there is a jumper setting for 0KB, if there is, remove the cache chips and try to see if it starts, in that case you may have a bad chip or track, but you have to try with the TAG chip installed, this will tell (in my opinion) if the TAG chip works, if it doesn't start and taking the TAG chip off, it starts, the problem should be restricted to the (interrupted?) tracks, or to some component such as a faulty resistor or capacitor.
I also have a MB 486 with cache no longer working, unfortunately lately I don't have time to fix it, but I hope to have some time soon.

AMD 286-16 287-10 4MB HD 45MB VGA 256KB
AMD 386DX-40 Intel 387 8MB HD 81MB VGA 256KB
Cyrix 486DLC-40 IIT387-40 8MB VGA 512KB
AMD 5X86-133 16MB VGA VLB CL5428 2MB and many others
AMD K62+ 550 SOYO 5EMA+ and many others
AST Pentium Pro 200 MHz L2 256KB

Reply 8 of 20, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hard to tell since I don't have the board at hand. But you could check for any kind of short, check VCC and VSS pins on TAG socket when empty/populated. Maybe a bad capacitor?
Check thoroughly for any additional corrosion or trace damage which you could have easily overlooked. Since your board has so much damage the probability of some hidden damage is of high probability.

Reply 9 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-25, 06:10:

0KB cache means bios tried detecting cache size but determined there is none or malfunctioning - in that case it will not enable Cache at all. Disabled cache will deactivate cache controller TAG inputs. I cant come up with a scenario where behavior you describe would make sense 🙁 How would TAGs presence make difference to how SRAM chips influence data bus. TAG chip is not wired in any way to data SRAM chips.
Hmm now I see there are jumpers on board to disable cache, what happens if you power up with all sram chips and jumpers set to disabled and 128KB?

The board has only 3 config options for cache, 64KB (2 banks), 128KB (1 bank) and 256KB (2 banks). No 0KB or disable option via jumpers, external cache enable/disable is in BIOS only. I will try the 128KB option with both banks populated to see what happens.

Are you sure Turbo is not enabled?

Turbo is enabled, I have shorted the TB. SW. header with a jumper, otherwise the board runs at slow speed.

https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/asus-i … -486sv2-rev-2.4 has different bios and pdf of SIS 460 with pin numbers for all cache signals, will help you checking if all cache chips are connected with no breaks.

Yeah, I get the same behavior with that newer BIOS. I've been checking the connections between the cache chips and the chipset and everything seems correct so far. One interesting thing I noticed is that for the TAG chip, most of the address pins (A0 to A14, except for A10 and A13) are connected to the the inputs of the nearby 74F245 transceivers. When the cache jumper block is configured for 256KB, A10 also gets connected to one of the 245s, while the 64KB configuration connects A10 to OE/CS pins on the TAG.

I'm still trying to understand how this works, but these 2 logic chips are high on my list of suspects since they are directly connected to the TAG socket which seems to be what is messing things up.

If you manage to find whats wrong and fix it the next step is modding in Alter bit SRAM for L2 Write-Back support 😀

Yes, that was in my plans before I encountered this issue 😉. Hopefully I can fix this.

MikeSG wrote on 2024-02-25, 10:53:

Have you tried selecting the slowest L2 cache speed settings in the BIOS?

Yeah, the BIOS only has "Fast" and "Slow" options for both the cache and DRAM, in all cases I get the same behavior.

PC@LIVE wrote on 2024-02-25, 14:36:

I saw the cache problem, so you should try (if you haven't already done so), looking at the manual and see if there is a jumper setting for 0KB, if there is, remove the cache chips and try to see if it starts, in that case you may have a bad chip or track, but you have to try with the TAG chip installed, this will tell (in my opinion) if the TAG chip works, if it doesn't start and taking the TAG chip off, it starts, the problem should be restricted to the (interrupted?) tracks, or to some component such as a faulty resistor or capacitor.
I also have a MB 486 with cache no longer working, unfortunately lately I don't have time to fix it, but I hope to have some time soon.

No jumper config for 0KB on the manual, only 64/128/256. As I mentioned before, I tested with multiple sets of known working SRAM chips and the result is always the same: as soon as I insert something in the TAG socket, the system hangs while booting, even with L2 cache disabled. I'm still testing connections and components around the area, it's so densely populated that sometimes it's difficult to follow the traces.

Paar wrote on 2024-02-25, 16:54:

Hard to tell since I don't have the board at hand. But you could check for any kind of short, check VCC and VSS pins on TAG socket when empty/populated. Maybe a bad capacitor?
Check thoroughly for any additional corrosion or trace damage which you could have easily overlooked. Since your board has so much damage the probability of some hidden damage is of high probability.

To be honest, the area around the cache chips looks fine, most of the damage was near the battery (and of course the original SIMM slots that were destroyed), but the board looks really good now except for scratches in the plastic of the ISA/VLB slots. But I definitely could have missed something so I'm going slowly through the different connections, as I explained above one of my suspicions is the two transceiver chips directly connected to the TAG socket. However I'll try to discard broken connections and shorts before attempting to desolder those.

Reply 10 of 20, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Just to be sure - have you tried to use a contact cleaner on the cache sockets? I had several cases of bad memory/cache because of socket contacts oxidization. It's a good strategy to start with simple things before doing it the hard way.
It's a nice board. Hopefully you'll manage to fix it.

Reply 11 of 20, by Intel486dx33

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It might be some bad cache chip holders.
Either way I would not spend to much effort trying to fix it.
Even if you have 256kb of cache you are only going to gain 2% CPU performance at best.
If you really want to gain CPU performance upgrade the CPU to a faster one.
Motherboard Cache is going to get you better game play performance.

I would put my time and money into a faster CPU instead.

A 486dx2-66 or faster.

I had the same problem with a Gigabyte motherboard cache and left it alone because it’s not worth it to fix for so little reward in performance.

Reply 12 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Paar wrote on 2024-02-25, 17:51:

Just to be sure - have you tried to use a contact cleaner on the cache sockets? I had several cases of bad memory/cache because of socket contacts oxidization. It's a good strategy to start with simple things before doing it the hard way.
It's a nice board. Hopefully you'll manage to fix it.

Yes, I applied contact cleaner several times and verified that when a chip is inserted there is continuity from the legs to the pin on the bottom of the board. Eventually I may end up replacing the sockets if I suspect there's something wrong with them, but as you say better try the easier things first 😉.

Reply 13 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Intel486dx33 wrote on 2024-02-25, 18:08:
It might be some bad cache chip holders. Either way I would not spend to much effort trying to fix it. Even if you have 256kb of […]
Show full quote

It might be some bad cache chip holders.
Either way I would not spend to much effort trying to fix it.
Even if you have 256kb of cache you are only going to gain 2% CPU performance at best.
If you really want to gain CPU performance upgrade the CPU to a faster one.
Motherboard Cache is going to get you better game play performance.

I would put my time and money into a faster CPU instead.

A 486dx2-66 or faster.

I had the same problem with a Gigabyte motherboard cache and left it alone because it’s not worth it to fix for so little reward in performance.

I know very well how much L2 cache affects performance, and I have multiple 486 boards (many of them faster than this one) and CPUs that I can use instead, that is not the point of this thread.

This is about restoring this board and I have been getting helpful advice from other folks in this thread, no need to change that.

Reply 14 of 20, by Paar

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are two things I'd try before any kind of additional soldering work:

1. Check the pins on SiS chipset. The board was probably badly stored and pin or two could get loose.
2. You made some soldering work on the SIMM sockets. Try to thoroughly clean any residue flux as even small presence can make the board surface conductive where it shouldn't be. I made this mistake before.

Reply 15 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
TheMobRules wrote on 2024-02-25, 17:45:

The board has only 3 config options for cache, 64KB (2 banks), 128KB (1 bank) and 256KB (2 banks). No 0KB or disable option via jumpers, external cache enable/disable is in BIOS only. I will try the 128KB option with both banks populated to see what happens.

sorry, pictures were at an angle and I just blindly assumed leftmost was 0kb. Try both 64 and 128 positions.
Also just for kicks try with U37 PAL chip (Im guessing responsible for VLB busmastering) removed.

I've been checking the connections between the cache chips and the chipset and everything seems correct so far. One interesting thing I noticed is that for the TAG chip, most of the address pins (A0 to A14, except for A10 and A13) are connected to the the inputs of the nearby 74F245 transceivers. When the cache jumper block is configured for 256KB, A10 also gets connected to one of the 245s

manual of a SiS 85C460 board with full schematic http://www.bitsavers.org/pdf/samsung/pc/98134 … Manual_1993.pdf page 113 shows one cache bank configuration

while the 64KB configuration connects A10 to OE/CS pins on the TAG.

and ground 😀
Its easier to reason about it from the other side using CPU side designations, so not A0-14 but CPU_A4-17
245s are hard wired for one directional operation, so "A10 and A13 are connected to" outputs

I'm still trying to understand how this works, but these 2 logic chips are high on my list of suspects since they are directly connected to the TAG socket which seems to be what is messing things up.

There is infinitesimal chance somehow TAG chip is loading one of them too much leading to glitches? but it feeds all Sram chips so there should be noting special about removing TAG ram vs removing any other SRAM.

Reply 16 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

OK, I think I found the problem. As I was examining the board, I noticed what looked like an extremely small gouge near one of the VLB slots. When I applied some IPA with a q-tip a tiny piece of trace that was lifted came off. Looking at pictures I took from when I first got the board, it seems this was already broken, so it wasn't me that broke it during the cleaning! 😅

WE_EvenBank.jpg
Filename
WE_EvenBank.jpg
File size
79.83 KiB
Views
File comment
Broken trace, it is extremely difficult to notice it
File license
Public domain

Anyway, I tried to follow where that trace goes and on the chipset side it connects to pin 136 which is... KWEX* (Cache write enable for even bank)! The other end of the trace connects to the WE* pin of the BANK0 cache sockets as expected, and when I probed for continuity between that chipset pin and the cache sockets there obviously wasn't any.

On the other hand, pin 137 of the chipset, KWEY* (Cache write enable for odd bank) is properly connected to the WE* pin on the BANK1 cache sockets. All the other connections nearby (TAG data pins and WE*, Cache read enable for both banks) also check out just fine.

So, when I have some time I will do a quick bodge in order to restore connectivity on that trace and if that fixes the issue I will attempt a cleaner, more elegant fix. I'm confident this will fix the issue, will update the thread as soon as I do this.

Reply 18 of 20, by TheMobRules

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Success!!

CacheDetected.jpg
Filename
CacheDetected.jpg
File size
338.59 KiB
Views
File comment
L2 detected!!!
File license
Public domain

Fixing the KWEX* trace did the trick, and now the board is fully working! Unfortunately I had to remove the VESA slot in order to patch the trace, but seeing the result I think it was worth it:

TraceRepair.jpg
Filename
TraceRepair.jpg
File size
189.86 KiB
Views
File comment
Trace repair
File license
Public domain

Those traces are really thin and made soldering the jumper wire quite difficult without a microscope, but I managed to get a pretty good looking fix. After that I applied some solder mask for protection and reinstalled the slot.

SlotReinstalled.jpg
Filename
SlotReinstalled.jpg
File size
148.49 KiB
Views
File comment
Slot reinstalled
File license
Public domain

With the slot covering most of the patched trace the end result is quite nice, if I had yellow solder mask instead of green it would have been even less noticeable. But I'm proud of how it turned out!

Thanks to everyone who contributed with suggestions, one more board back from the dead!

Reply 19 of 20, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I still dont understand the fault mechanism here. With this track ripped BIOS had no chance detecting any cache, so definitely was disabling it no matter the CMOS settings. How would then this disabled cache screw with computer operation? Dangling WE# could lead to spurious activation of this pin, but it shouldnt do anything without CE# active. Truth table states with CE# high WE# and OE# are ignored. Disabled Cache should leave CE# permanently high. And how does TAG chip fit into all of this? Bizarre 😀