VOGONS

First post, by apricot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been working on a retro DOS/WIN95 build but it would seem like this PC hates anything solid state.

I've tried several known good working SSD drives, I'm using an IDE to SATA adapter. First I tried an industrial 4GB SATA SSD which seemed to work and I got MS-DOS 6.22 and Windows 95 installed but soon after I kept getting blue screens and freezes then the PC would only start in safe mode I soon gave up and tried a 32 GB SSD then I got disk error during the Windows 95 installation so I then tried a 64GB SSD and everything installed fine until I tried to install a game then got the blue screen of death and then hard drive failure, I also tried an 80GB SATA HDD but then I got another blue screen. I've tried different IDE cables and adapters. I also tried different RAM sticks. The computer also gets stuck in a loop of restarting itself until I try another hard drive and begin yet again the DOS and Windows 95 installation. Its driving me bonkers.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Reply 1 of 6, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Does it work with traditional hard drives?
I suspect the system is just unstable, and so eventually any OS you install falls apart due to errors.

Can you boot memtest86 and leave it running several hours (enough to do at least a couple passes) or overnight?
You could also try Prime95 "torture test" if you can get that running.
If you have a multimeter, check voltages.

A system of that era will have lots of jumpers and maybe BIOS settings that can make it unstable, so make sure those are correct, let us know if there's any you're unsure about.

Reply 2 of 6, by Towncivilian

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Try replacing the data cable if you haven’t yet.

abit BX-133 RAID, P3-S 1.4Ghz, 768MB PC133, GeForce FX5200, SB16 ISA, 2x40GB RAID1, Sony SDT-9000 & Connor CTD-8000 SCSI DDS2 DAT drives, 3COM 10/100 NIC, Win2k SP4
Depeche Mode Live Wiki

Reply 3 of 6, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Can you post the full specs of your build (e.g. motherboard, etc.)?

For DOS/Win95 builds I've had the most success using CompactFlash cards. I have several builds with 4 GB Verbatim brand cards and StarTech CF-IDE adapters. Use them with both DOS and Windows 95 without issues.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 4 of 6, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'm using an IDE to SATA adapter

What chip is it based on ?
What IDE controller type/model is it connected to ?

Not all such adapters work with all IDE controllers. At least some of the no-name chip based ones are crap.

Reply 5 of 6, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have a look inside the power supply for visibly bad/bulging capacitors. Post a picture of it with the top removed too, if you could. PSU and random crashes / errors go hand-in-hand.
That said, also look for bad caps on the motherboard too. These can wreak all kinds of random havok on data likes too.

shamino wrote on 2024-02-25, 02:07:

If you have a multimeter, check voltages.

While still worth doing to see if one or more of the voltage rails on the PSU is not being under/over spec voltage, just know that even good voltage measurements won't guarantee that the PSU is outputting clean power.
I actually have quite a few (gutless) PSUs like this - they appear to have really good voltage regulation, but fail(ed) miserably in therms of ripple and noise. Some of them I upgraded/modified/re-designed just for kicks and they've turned into somewhat decent low-power units.

Reply 6 of 6, by apricot

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The PSU I fully tested before I used it for the build. The motherboard is an EPox/ProNiX EP-3VWM2.

I noticed an electrolytic capacitor on the board that has started to bulge so I suspect that might have something to do with it and there maybe more bad caps although the rest look ok they might still be bad. I've put this machine aside for now while I work on another build. I am also in the process of re-capping another 370 motherboard which I will replace it with once its finished and then I will repair the other motherboard with the bulging cap I don't have the right values on hand right now so there isn't much I can do for that board at this moment in time.