VOGONS

First post, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Greetings,

I have an RCA branded Lyra (rebranded datafab I believe) CF reader which connects to a parallel port with keyboard passthru for power. I know it works because I used it in the past and I just tyested it on my Athlon XP machine in Windows XP and was accessing CF cards. I am trying to use it on my 486. I have DOS drivers installed and they detect the reader and can even detect the size of cards currently in the reader. The light flashes bright when a card is inserted. However, I keep ghetting write protect errors when I try to access the drive letter assigned to the reader. I have LASTDRIVE=H (two IDE-CF cards, two optical drives and this reader.) Parallel port is set to ECP/EPP. I want to say I used it with this 486 in the past and it was working fine. Like I said, it is tested to be working on another machine. I am at my wits end as I have no idea what could be preventing my 486 from accessing the device.

If anyone has any tips, I thank you in advance! Also, I am open to suggestions for alternative CF readers known to work on a 486 and in DOS and Windows 3.x.

Scythifuge

Reply 1 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I downloaded all sorts of drivers I found in another thread. They either don't work at all (can't detect the cf reader,) or the drivers load properly and detect the reader AND the size of the inserted card AND the light flashes when the drivers are loaded or when a card is inserted, but I get a "write protect on drive a" error when trying to access the drive letter assigned to the reader. I have tried changing the parallel port settings in the bios to no avail.

It is frustrating as this device is working in XP and I think I had it working in DOS either on this same 486 or it was with one of my Gateway P3s. Also, I am reading posts on VOGONS and elsewhere on the net where people are using these sorts of parallel port CF readers on machines older than this 486. As of now, I can shut down the 486 and grab one of the CF cards I use as a hard drive and put it in a card reader on my main machine, copy files, then put it back in the 486 and turn it back on. While this is an option, I would rather have a hotswap option which lets me keep my 486 running.

Reply 2 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Hi, this is a strange problem. I can only guess what's going on.
If it's a software issue, these things are worth a try.
a) run DOS in Real-Mode (no V86, EMM386, QEMM)
b) don't load umbpci.sys (if installed)
c) try to temporarily disable MSCDEX and CD-ROM drivers
d) don't load SmartDrive

The CD-ROM thing is because of network drives.
I don't know how the datafab driver implements the drive letter, but it may do it same way like MSCDEX does.

If everything fails, you can try out both MS-DOS 6.2x and MS-DOS 7.x.
One of them via boot floppy, if needed.

If you suspect a hardware damage you can try running CheckIt! v3.
It can test both parallel and serial ports, I think.

The logical side of testing works with out a test plug (dongle).
The physical side is about the electrical aspect (buffer stages etc).

Other programs are Port Test V1.1 or Parallel Port Debug Tool 2.0.

Just keep in mind to better not have the CF reader plugged in when testing.
Some LPT port pins can be toggled between input/output via software.
So there's a danger of shorting.

Good luck! 🙂

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 4 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Jo22 wrote on 2024-02-28, 08:53:
Hi, this is a strange problem. I can only guess what's going on. If it's a software issue, these things are worth a try. a) run […]
Show full quote

Hi, this is a strange problem. I can only guess what's going on.
If it's a software issue, these things are worth a try.
a) run DOS in Real-Mode (no V86, EMM386, QEMM)
b) don't load umbpci.sys (if installed)
c) try to temporarily disable MSCDEX and CD-ROM drivers
d) don't load SmartDrive

The CD-ROM thing is because of network drives.
I don't know how the datafab driver implements the drive letter, but it may do it same way like MSCDEX does.

If everything fails, you can try out both MS-DOS 6.2x and MS-DOS 7.x.
One of them via boot floppy, if needed.

If you suspect a hardware damage you can try running CheckIt! v3.
It can test both parallel and serial ports, I think.

The logical side of testing works with out a test plug (dongle).
The physical side is about the electrical aspect (buffer stages etc).

Other programs are Port Test V1.1 or Parallel Port Debug Tool 2.0.

Just keep in mind to better not have the CF reader plugged in when testing.
Some LPT port pins can be toggled between input/output via software.
So there's a danger of shorting.

Good luck! 🙂

Thank you for your reply and suggestions! I didn't consider a faulty parallel port. I am using a Tomato 4dps so the parallel port is connected via ribbon cable to the mobo. I am using standard Microsoft files in my startup files, but I will try REMming out EMM386 and MSCDEX. I will attempt the tests you have suggested!

lolo799 wrote on 2024-02-28, 09:53:

What is the size of the CF you tried it with under DOS?

On y 486 I have tried an 8GB, two 4gb, and a 2gb SD via CF adapter card. All are detected by the drivers and present their size. When I tested this same parallel port CF reader in Windows 98SE on my P3, it could read a 128GB SD card via the SD-CF adapter card, and it could read my other cards. On the Athlon XP/WinXP machine, I tested my 8gb card and successfully read, copied, and deleted files from the card.

I am thinking that either there is something wrong with my 486 parallel port, or some BIOS setting is being weird, or perhaps there is a chipset incompatibility. My mobo has a SiS chipset. I found a Datafab readme.txt with one of the driver sets I tried and it list a bunch of boards and chipsets as being tested to be compatible, though I don't think that SiS is listed.I swear that I have at least one strange and obscure issue with each of my retro PCs, hehehe...

Reply 6 of 10, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-29, 07:46:

Is the power its stealing from keyboard port working? might be issue with it being only powered by LPT port.

That's an interesting thought!

It's not same, but I think I've heard that certain old AT computer keyboards
didn't work on modern computers anymore because they drew too much current.

So maybe the problem really is related to power in one way or another.

Maybe a DIY cable can be made that connects to the +5v pin of one of the Molex/FDC plugs?
I'm just thinking out loud here.

Using an external PSU is possible, as well, of course.
Though it may introduce electric noise also. Hm.

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is the power its stealing from keyboard port working? might be issue with it being only powered by LPT port.

Jo22 wrote on 2024-02-29, 13:43:
That's an interesting thought! […]
Show full quote

That's an interesting thought!

It's not same, but I think I've heard that certain old AT computer keyboards
didn't work on modern computers anymore because they drew too much current.

So maybe the problem really is related to power in one way or another.

Maybe a DIY cable can be made that connects to the +5v pin of one of the Molex/FDC plugs?
I'm just thinking out loud here.

Using an external PSU is possible, as well, of course.
Though it may introduce electric noise also. Hm.

I tried using AT adapters, running a PS2 extension cable from a powered AthlonXP system, and I tried using a USb-PS2 adapter with an AC -USB block. The led on the reader lights up brightly whenever it is "supposed" to work. That is the weird thing. It is detecting the size of the cards and the light does its thing when it is supposed to, but the PC just can't seem to access the card. I ordered a different Datafab-branded device still in the box with a driver CD which lists DOS and Windows 3.1 right on it. If that doesn't work (but is tested to work on different systems,) I will diagnose the issue as a mobo chipset (stupid SiS) incompatibility.

Reply 8 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Update:

I had ordered a Datafab MDCFE-SR. I took a break from retro stuff for a couple of weeks, but I finally tested it today. The same error is occurring. The reader and the CF in it are detected, but accessing the drive letter and doing anything at all gives the error. I am diagnosing it as a SIS chipset issue since they are not listed on any document I have found and read concerning tested motherboard chipsets. I do not think that there is a solution to this problem. It looks as if there are no options for a hot-swap/portable data solution for my Tomato 4dps board. The only option I can think of is to try to find another socket 3 board, but that may be expensive, risks of failure due to age, and difficulty in finding a board with equal features (this 4dps is neat with what it can do and has a PS/2 mouse port.)

All well...

Reply 10 of 10, by Scythifuge

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-03-13, 10:56:

why not ordinary IDE-CF adapter mounded in the front panel?

That is what I am using for my "hard drives." I have a dual slot IDE-CF in a 3.5 3d printed mount I grabbed from ebay. The problem is, is that you can't hotswap them. It is a minor inconvenience, I supposed. Shutting down and powering back on takes less than a minute. I am also looking into a network option with an FTP or a Windows 3.11 install on an 86box PC.