VOGONS

First post, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi guys!

I got this very interesting ACER V12LC socket 5 motherboard with a Pentium 100
The board is a LPX form factor and I cant make it boot

The POST analyzer reports code "dc" I have never seen this post code before.

The BIOS chip is ACER not Award or AMI... and I couldn't find any information regarding this post code
Sometimes when I put other SIMM modules or I remove them it reports code 1C so the board seems to be alive

I have reseated the keyboard chip, the BIOS, CPU and even replaced the DALLAS ... all with deoxit

I even tried asking ChatGPT but Georgina (that's what I call the chat bot) didnt have any answers

Thanx 😀

Attachments

Reply 1 of 6, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Acer code 1c is "testing memory refresh". The 5v led is not lit, do you have stable +5v ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 6, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2024-02-25, 17:23:

Acer code 1c is "testing memory refresh". The 5v led is not lit, do you have stable +5v ?

Hi!

My problem is with code "dC" ... I cant seem to find any reference to it

Yes +5v is fine... that post analyzer card has the 5 volt led broken, but its fine

Reply 4 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I dont see any buttons on your card, can it rewind to show past codes? are there any other codes or just this one?
BIOS might be corrupted, do you have ability to flash another bios from theretroweb and swap bios chips?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 5 of 6, by Nunoalex

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasz_pl wrote on 2024-02-29, 12:08:

I dont see any buttons on your card, can it rewind to show past codes? are there any other codes or just this one?
BIOS might be corrupted, do you have ability to flash another bios from theretroweb and swap bios chips?

thank you for the help

no the analyzer card doesn't scroll back past codes... it was a really cheap one
but if I plug in a PS2 keyboard I can see it display other code before landing on dC
The sequence is really fast
And when I remove all the memory it does land on 1C error code that is related to memory on most other mainstream BIOS brands
so somehow it seems to be working or at least running some BIOS code...

I will try your suggestion and try to find bios for this board and flash them on it

Reply 6 of 6, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

looking at https://web.archive.org/web/20010716001033/ht … es/acerbios.htm it almost feels like upped nibble is corrupted
1C does actually make sense as "Memory refresh system tested" signaling 'no memory' error code

>The sequence is really fast

record it with a phone, bonus points if it has slomo 😀

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction