VOGONS

First post, by demiurge

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I am getting into retro scene with my old copy of Win ME and with a fresh install I can connect to a network share only with a null password.

If I don't set the network account with a null password I get this lovely prompt and no password works:
ipc_dollar.png

I have three NAS and they all do this (all set to SMB1). On the oldest NAS I can set a null password and that can work, but I would prefer a fix.

There is no option on most NAS for "SMB signing" or whatever as given in Phil's video:
https://youtu.be/o1-wMRDHhmg?t=120

I think this is related to lanman but I have no idea what that means. Apparently you can fix it on your own samba server but I can't run arbitrary code on my NAS, can I?
https://www.troubleshooters.com/linux/win9x_samba.htm

So again, null password works, so it is purely a password validation issue.

Reply 1 of 12, by Boohyaka

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

after all kind of issues with samba and NAS access in general, I ended up setting up a local FTP server on the NAS and accessing it from my Windows boxes with WinSCP 4.40. Way easier and more convenient imo.

Reply 2 of 12, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Boohyaka wrote on 2024-03-02, 15:49:

after all kind of issues with samba and NAS access in general, I ended up setting up a local FTP server on the NAS and accessing it from my Windows boxes with WinSCP 4.40. Way easier and more convenient imo.

I do similar, but the FTP folder is accessible over SMB2 from my modern Windows boxes. So transfer in using SMB2 and transfer out using FTP.

Reply 4 of 12, by Grzyb

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Forget about any security if you want to connect from such old clients.
Do it in a dedicated LAN, totally separated from the outside world.

Nie tylko, jak widzicie, w tym trudność, że nie zdołacie wejść no moja górę, lecz i w tym, ze ja do was cały zejść nie mogę, gdyż schodząc, gubię po drodze to, co miałem donieść.

Reply 5 of 12, by progman.exe

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Boohyaka wrote on 2024-03-02, 15:49:

Yeah, I've been using FTP rather than even bother trying to use old SMB.

IMHO SMB only ever worked smoothly when in a full Windows domain, with DNS and WINS all set up on Windows servers in that domain. Otherwise, using SMB is random pauses and hangs, refusals to respond to names but IPs might work, or vice-versa, mapped drives vanishing.... Then you bring up a temporary/testing/playing 2k3 server VM with too much CPU power, and that VM becomes the browse master forever in the eyes of the other machines.

But would you be shocked to find that IE5 is crap at FTP 😀

I was struggling to get 2meg a second over FTP yesterday to win2k to a core2duo laptop. But the command line ftp.exe version was able to get about 20!

FTP is good, but use a proper client! IE was always only ever a program to use once to get a better browser and other internet tools.

FWIW I am using VSFTP as a server, on my Slackware desktop, launched via the inetd (remember that, *nix nerds? 😀 ). The FTP server cannot serve files from outside of its home, for security, even by using symlinks. But something that would be nice is for me to use FTP to get at data on my NAS, without setting up an FTP server on the NAS itself.

This command allowed the existing mount to my NAS to be effectively duplicated inside the FTP server's home, and thus data shared on by FTP.

mount --bind /mnt/nas/ /home/ftp/nas

WS_FTP I liked on Windows, but it was because it was the first proper FTP client I used. Was bundled by Demon for their service, which might be a flash-back for a reader or two 😀

Reply 6 of 12, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most NAS by default require NTLMv2 so you'll need to set that up on the client.
Also make sure you login to the client using the same username and password you setup on the NAS.
Also make sure it's a 14 character or less password.
Make sure that netbios is enabled on both machines.

Most NAS even though there is a GUI you can also edit the config files if you can't set the option you want in the GUI.
If you have a NAS where the configuration files are unable to be accessed or extremely difficult to get to and configure then learn that lesson and use a NAS that isn't.

Working configuration for Win98 / Linux Samba share

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 7 of 12, by Robbbert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have 2 NAS's and neither of them have any kind of SMB/NTLM configuration options.

The oldest NAS, a V-GEAR LANDESK-193A, can connect to Windows 95,98,NT and later. It only holds 80GB, and can easily get corrupted if you copy lots of small files to it. This requires a format to fix.

The other is a NOONTEC N5, it can connect to Windows 2000 and later. The original OS was buggy, files can just disappear, so I had to do a software upgrade.

To get access for the NOONTEC to Win9x/NT, I installed WS_FTP_LE on those systems. The maker offers it for free. Further, it will work on Windows for Workgroups, so giving access to both NAS's.

Reply 8 of 12, by Shagittarius

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Run the DSClient executable on your 95/98 machines, then unpack and install the reg changes by right clicking and choosing install on your 95/98 machines.

Set logon to Client for Microsoft Networks, make sure username and password is the same as the NAS drive on your 95/98 machines.

I use TweakUI to autologin. Works great for me I'm sure other can tell you more about security concerns.

DOSFreak has a post on this too somewhere...

Attachments

Reply 9 of 12, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Another vote for FTP here. It's just so much simpler and it works with *everything* regardless of age and OS so you don't need separate solutions for every old box. Basically, if it can't do modern SFTP/SCP with up-to-date certificates, it uses FTP. Works with a Windows 98 box, works with my ancient XT. It just works.

Reply 10 of 12, by megatog615

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I prefer to use the built-in "web folders" feature of win9x. You just set up a web server on your NAS and configure it to enable WebDAV. Then you just point the web folder location to the local network url of your webdav site.

Reply 11 of 12, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I’m running samba on a Pi and it’s more convenient than FTP, I can access it on everything from my newest MacOS and Windows 11 boxes and all my retro gear and doesn’t require me to install any additional clients on 95 or even Windows with Workgroups (well, other than the TCP client). Plus I can run installers and map ISO’s from the share without having to copy over stuff first. It’s one the greatest things you can do for yourself in this hobby that adds immense value IMO.

Last edited by Zeerex on 2024-03-04, 11:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 12, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have very little issues with SMB1 as long as I do the following.

every device is on the same workgroup
use the same username/password on each device
not using null passwords (a simple 1 character password is enough)