VOGONS

First post, by allesclar

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Morning all,

Forgive me but I never really had any problems with the ATX form rigs I have, however might be inheriting a Super Socket 7 mobo.

How do you lot do your back plates to a more conventional case rather than a baby AT one?

All the photos I seem to be able to find are for either ATX form SS7 motherboards or the SS7 motherboards are only using the original motherboard…

Wanting to keep it all snug at the back and I am struggling to find any generic AT IO shield backplates.

Thanks

Reply 1 of 9, by Shadzilla

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

ATX I/O shields for AT boards do exist, I picked up a new one from eBay last year for my SS7 build (item number 154299330683 on eBay UK, still available although a bit pricey). They're just a plain shield with the hole for the keyboard punched out, the neatest solution you're going to find IMO.

Alternatively you could probably 3D print something that would do the job.

Reply 2 of 9, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

...or you can buy cheap blanks and cut the hole for the keyboard, although it's not as easy as it sounds. This is what I did as I couldn't justify the asking price for the ready ones.

Reply 7 of 9, by PTherapist

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I went the super-duper cheapskate method instead for my Super Socket 7 build in an ATX case -

AT-backplate-cheapskate.jpg
Filename
AT-backplate-cheapskate.jpg
File size
93.67 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

No expense or much time taken to solve that problem, which is clearly evident by the super amazing job I did of the cut-out for the keyboard socket. 🤣

In all seriousness, probably best don't do this. But it does work so....

Reply 9 of 9, by pvlst

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
liqmat wrote on 2024-03-05, 16:05:

I had a stack of NOS vintage AT backplates from the PPro haul. Most of them were given out to Vogons members years back. For reference, these are what originals look like which have the grounding tabs.

These are very nice.

I got a few of these some years back, they're basically just blanks with a punched hole of keyboard's DIN connector size.

Another, cheap and a bit ugly option is buying this I/O shield sized 'dust filter' with sticky edges, cutting the desired hole(s) in it and sticking it to the ATX case.