VOGONS

First post, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi. I'm after a ZIP 750 with a white front panel so that it at least somewhat matches my PC. The vast majority of these drives I've seen for sale are black. I can accomodate both IDE and SCSI. Did 750s ever come out in white, or did Iomega make them exclusively in black to conform to the early 00s aesthetic trends?

If finding a factory white one is impossible, is replacing the front panel from an older 100 MB model a possibility?

Reply 1 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

A while ago I tried to find a pair of Zip 750 drives, where one of them needed to be scsi, but it turns out that the 750 drives were only ever Atapi and USB. This was to do mass data transfers from PC to x68000, since the SCSI zip devices work nicely on the Sharp.

I ended up with a Zip 250 SCSI external, and the much more common Zip 250 USB.

750 drives just didn't appear to be very widely available at all. The only examples I have ever seen were usb. That probably says more about how well they sold, and in what versions.

Looking on eBay right now, I see exactly ONE 750 drive, in usb. LOADS of 250 drives though.

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 8, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-03-06, 08:00:
A while ago I tried to find a pair of Zip 750 drives, where one of them needed to be scsi, but it turns out that the 750 drives […]
Show full quote

A while ago I tried to find a pair of Zip 750 drives, where one of them needed to be scsi, but it turns out that the 750 drives were only ever Atapi and USB. This was to do mass data transfers from PC to x68000, since the SCSI zip devices work nicely on the Sharp.

I ended up with a Zip 250 SCSI external, and the much more common Zip 250 USB.

750 drives just didn't appear to be very widely available at all. The only examples I have ever seen were usb. That probably says more about how well they sold, and in what versions.

Looking on eBay right now, I see exactly ONE 750 drive, in usb. LOADS of 250 drives though.

I've seen an ample number of internal 750 drives, plenty of options for buying - but it looks like they all came with a black faceplate. At that time black was well.. the new black 😁 Definitely a change for the better too, but it won't fit my case coloristically alas 🙁 Would spray painting be an option?

Reply 3 of 8, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If it were a normal pc drive like a floppy or CDROM, I would say yes (have sprayed plenty of floppy drives to match cases, and it is generally fine as long as you find a good match and use a primer for plastic first).

However, unless the internal drives are substantially more robust than the later external drives I would be loathe to take one apart to paint the bezel. My experience with the external models is that the plastic clips just disintegrate by looking at them wrong!

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 4 of 8, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, the external models definitely look gimmicky as all hell and them looking "cool" was probably one of their selling points, the internal drives are very reminescent of floppies. I was recommended this paint, apparently it's so cool it doesn't require a primer:
https://www.krylon.com/en/products/all-purpos … ion-all-in-one/

Either that or I might actually get an internal 250 MB and an external 750, that'd work for me too in all honesty

Reply 5 of 8, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I went and painted my 750 white. Should have chosen bone instead of white (the manufacturer had it!) and it looks amateurish as hell, but I'll still take that over black in this setup 😁

frontpanel.jpg

Maybe I'll try subtly polishing it so it at least looks smooth. The flap doesn't create any extra friction when inserting ZIPs and it seems the paint isn't scratching off, so at least there's that

Reply 8 of 8, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
TheMobRules wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:17:

I actually have a ZIP750 that is not black, it's grey-ish/beige so these did exist. I bought it in 2006-07 but I don't remember ever using it...

I can post a picture later if you want.

If you're not terribly attached to it, I'd be interested in purchasing it, or at least the bezel and the flap hahah

Hell, we could even exchange these, mine can be probably easily sanded or something to return it to black.

megatron-uk wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:09:

Now you need a Clik! And a Jaz drive to round things out! 😉

JAZ actually isn't impossible, but those came only in external varieties and the ZIP250 I'm waiting on actually no longer stacks with the JAZ chassis. Haven't explored those in detail though. I heard they were quite unreliable and here in Poland there was never really a market for them, so I'm not terribly bent on getting one 😜