VOGONS

First post, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello all,

Did anyone succeed in running EtherDFS on Openwrt? I didn’t manage it. It’s not part of the package inventory. Maybe it works when sideloding?
Any ideas are welcome.

Thanks so much

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320
2) SIS486 | 486DX/2 66(@80) | 32MB | TGUI9440 | SG NX Pro 16 | LAPC-I

Reply 1 of 9, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You probably have to merge the etherdfs with the openwrt source and patch it so you can enable it with make menuconfig (as far as I remember).
Then when you build openwrt, it will also build etherdfs and install it in it's flash image.

Reply 2 of 9, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ah that will be a bit too heavy for my knowledge. I also noticed that there is no ARM source for etherDFS. But I would need this on my router. I m not quite sure if this would work via kernel rebuilt

Thanks anyway

1) VLSI SCAMP 311 | 386SX25@30 | 16MB | CL-GD5434 | CT2830| SCC-1 | MT32 | Fast-SCSI AHA 1542CF + BlueSCSI v2/15k U320

Reply 3 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You can avoid having to mess with OpenWRT's build process as long as you can install files on the target device (i.e. it's not a readonly rootfs, or you have enough room somewhere else like a ramdisk). Get an ARM toolchain - if you distro's package manager doesn't have one then crosstool-ng will do fine - then compile ethersrv targeting an appropriate ARM variant, and link it statically to decouple yourself from whatever libc OpenWRT uses. ethersrv is all in plain C, no need for an arch specific implementation. Copy to device, start, done. (At least in theory.)

...or did I misunderstand and you actually want to run the client on that device, not serve files from it? Because you keep writing etherdfs, not -srv. If that's the case - gonna be hard, since afaict the only client side implementation is the DOS one. (Also, why?)

Reply 4 of 9, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No younger right the server side. Thanks. Let me dive deeper than here.
Br

Reply 5 of 9, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You basically need a cross-build environment to compile ethersrv for OpenWRT. I had ethersrv running on an old Fritz!Box router, built using a cross-build environment for the Fritz!Box Linux variant. I did not rebuild any of the firmware, I just cross-compiled ethersrv and placed it into a locaton that was writeable and executable (IIRC /var/media/ftp, but that location is Fritz!Box specific), and then I could start it using the telnet shell interface.

Reply 6 of 9, by Marco

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks. I will definitely search for these hints

This seems to be the way then:

https://openwrt.org/docs/guide-developer/tool … in/crosscompile

Reply 9 of 9, by mbbrutman

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm not setup to cross compile code to target OpenWRT. And I would probably have to know the exact version of the router to make it work, as OpenWRT runs on a variety of things.

As an alternative, I'd suggest getting a RaspPi Zero 2W. For $15 you get a quad core 64 bit ARM running at 1Ghz with 512MB of RAM, and WiFi connectivity. And it runs NetDrive ... Netdrive is only consuming 6MB of memory, leaving 190MB free for other uses. Add a small case, re-use a power supply, and add a small SD card and you are set to go. As a plus, you can run other servers on it like Telnet, so you can bounce from mTCP Telnet to the RaspPi, and then out using SSH for systems that require that. Or run Links (a text mode browser), or do many other things ...

A DOS virtual machine on my giant Xeon system talking to NetDrive on the Pi Zero 2W is recording 400KB/sec for reads and writes. That is as good as real hardware (a 386) talking to a Netdrive server on the same Xeon box.

-Mike