VOGONS

First post, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey there everyone!

I am back with a new project and a new problem that may be interesting to you all, this one is a multi-feature issue with all sorts of wierd problems.

So today I am at a Goodwill and I see this IBM ThinkCentre for $24.49 USD, and I buy it. when I get home I'm very weary of it cause I know to be very cautious of everything I get from goodwill but thank God he blessed me with the gift of life as when I powered it on it "passed" post (and I say that loosely) ..................................

.......... someone had tried to install a modded BIOS and now it doesn't like it. even removing the CMOS Battery adds to the errors. also fans seems to be very loud so seems fans are failing or appear to not be being managed properly by the PC efficiently or at all........... until it gets to the loading OS phase........ then the fans turn off............. oof......

any ideas as to how to fix the BIOS? hell can I even install my Core 2 Extreme QX6700 since it's a Socket 775? wait is it a Socket 775?

In case you need it:

Serial#:
LKVTY83

Model#:
VZB

Note: seems someone tried to hide it's true information which is what seemed suspicious to me, but I'm still hopeful I can restore this PC

Attachments

• IMG_0043.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0043.jpg
    File size
    1.69 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 1
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0042.jpg
    Filename
    IMG_0042.jpg
    File size
    1.06 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    Picture 2
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try searching "boot block rescue" and model number, might be a way to put BIOS on a basic bootable USB stick and recover it. Or burn a CD for it.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Ah yeah, there might be scam sites with stuff like that, but should be able to dig out one from an official lenovo site for free.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 4 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

yeah but the problem is someone went through alot of trouble to hide this Machine's true information including it's original stickers OEM Serial and Model numbers Service Tags etc etc

without that I lack any way to identify what it is all I know it's running a Pentium D @3.40Ghz 512MB DDR2 DRAM 3.5 Floppy Drive 2x dvd drive and a generic radeon and generic LITEON PSU and apparently runs Windows XP Professional and has the Socket 775/T meaning it can run a Intel Core 2 [name goes here] and up to 8GB Ram but that could be different due to it's true information is missing and I can't find a single damn correct piece of information anywhere.

Reply 11 of 50, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
SFMG wrote on 2024-03-07, 06:04:

so found the page but the links are dead and there are no internet archives of the page when it did exist
so atm what do i do?

If you're right about the model - IBM ThinkCentre M52 Tower (8113) - then the latest stock BIOS is available thru this page...

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds … -8116-8211-8212

...if the 'Download' buttons doesn't work, then copy/paste the underlying url link into your browsers address bar.

Your current modded BIOS may be due to someone having injected additional processor microcodes not supported by any of the stock versions. The fan control was updated in an earlier stock version which may be the source of the louder boot / POST fan noise ("Updates the fan control for 65nm Intel processors")

Reply 13 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-03-07, 06:58:
If you're right about the model - IBM ThinkCentre M52 Tower (8113) - then the latest stock BIOS is available thru this page... […]
Show full quote
SFMG wrote on 2024-03-07, 06:04:

so found the page but the links are dead and there are no internet archives of the page when it did exist
so atm what do i do?

If you're right about the model - IBM ThinkCentre M52 Tower (8113) - then the latest stock BIOS is available thru this page...

https://support.lenovo.com/gb/en/downloads/ds … -8116-8211-8212

...if the 'Download' buttons doesn't work, then copy/paste the underlying url link into your browsers address bar.

Your current modded BIOS may be due to someone having injected additional processor microcodes not supported by any of the stock versions. The fan control was updated in an earlier stock version which may be the source of the louder boot / POST fan noise ("Updates the fan control for 65nm Intel processors")

thanks and yeah welcome back man you were a big help restoring that Compaq Presario SR1200NX way back when and I'll try that but I've been having no luck so far cause the previous person obviously went through the trouble of attempting to obscure any information that might identify this PC.

Reply 16 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've saved the page at the Internet Archive:

https://web.archive.org/web/20240307071532/ht … -8116-8211-8212

Since your PC still boots, I would try to flash the BIOS.

To confirm that your PC is indeed an M52 without having any of the stickers or nomenclature, go to eBay and Google Images. Search for pictures of the motherboard and visually confirm that it's the same as yours. If you can make the confirmation, go ahead and flash the BIOS. There should be relatively little risk if you can confirm that the motherboard is indeed an M52.

Last edited by KT7AGuy on 2024-03-07, 07:33. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 18 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Or, if you can't make a visual confirmation that the motherboard is from an M52, try to figure out what type of ThinkCentre it is by examining your motherboard. If you can figure out what ThinkCentre models used your motherboard, you should be able to find a BIOS flash update for it.

Can you provide any detail photos of the motherboard?

Or maybe the BIOS itself has an info page, if you can access it?

Reply 19 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

God has blessed me with all of you and your helpfulness I am truely and I mean truely grateful the system has been restored to it's default BIOS State as far as functionality goes just have to run some further tests and we'll be good to go. but seems the fans work fine now so thank you will post an update once I got XP installed and everything working