VOGONS

Reply 21 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Many moons ago when I worked for IBM, I supported the ThinkCentre M52 SFF models in a corporate environment. When we first deployed them we received many complaints about loud fan noise. Just like PC Hoarder Patrol said, a BIOS update fixed the problem eventually. I also seem to recall that one of the BIOS updates added fan control functionality into the BIOS settings, where you could choose how aggressively you wanted the fans to cool the system.

I'm glad everything worked out OK for you. It's good to hear a success story once in awhile.

Reply 22 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UPDATE:
Sadly, it was futile.

while the update seems to have solved one of the problems it still continues to have other issues that remain from the modded BIOS even after the BIOS Update.
so it was useless to try and get this to work. thanks for your help though guys I appreciate it.

Reply 23 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You did clear the CMOS (with a jumper) and reset the BIOS, right?

If problems persist, what are the symptoms? What's going on?

All the software for the M52 is still available here:
https://download.lenovo.com/eol/index.html

Some other documentation is still online, here:

https://www.ibm.com/docs/en/announcements/arc … ve/ENUSA06-0056

https://support.lenovo.com/us/en/solutions/pd … e-m52-type-8113
This one lists the FRU numbers for the motherboards. You can use this to compare the FRU number on yours to confirm that it is indeed an M52 Type 8113.

The hardware maintenance manual is here:
https://download.lenovo.com/pccbbs/thinkcentr … pdf/39j8289.pdf
See page #517, Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure

Recovering from a POST/BIOS update failure

Attention: If an interruption occurs during a POST/BIOS update (flash update), the computer might not restart correctly. If this occurs, perform the following procedure (also known as a Boot-block recovery).

Note: If your computer has no internal diskette drive, an optional USB diskette drive must be connected to use the BIOS flash diskette.

1. Open the cover.

2. Remove any parts necessary to gain access to the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper.

3. Move the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper from the standard position (pins 1 and 2) to pins 2 and 3.

4. Insert the BIOS flash diskette in the diskette drive.

5. Close the cover and reconnect the computer power cord to the computer and to an electrical outlet. Turn on the computer.

6. The recovery session takes two to three minutes. During this time you will hear a series of beeps. After the update session completes, the series of beeps ends and the computer automatically turns off. There is no video during the recovery session.

7. When the computer turns off, open the cover.

8. Move the Clear CMOS/Recovery jumper back to the original position (pins 1 and 2).

9. Remove the BIOS flash diskette from the diskette drive.

10. Close or install the cover and reconnect all external cables.

Reply 24 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the issues are that it says unauthorised CMOS Operation Fan Failure and another one and it asks me to press F1 or F2 or it will proceeed with boot is it fine to use like that? am I okay to plug an ethernet cable into it? am I safe to use it as a normal casual browse the web type PC?

Reply 25 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

also i removed the CMOS Battery as I figured it was pretty much dead by this point. so it should've been reset by that but I'll look to see about resetting the CMOS using the Jumpers when I get home from work

Reply 27 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Fan failure message:
Check to make sure all the fans are connected properly and are spinning. Sometimes a janky fan will cause that error even if it's spinning, but slowly. I have this problem with my ThinkPad T60, and I'll replace the fan soon to fix it.

CMOS Battery:
Replace that. CR2032 is cheap.

Why do you suspect the PSU of impending failure?

Have you confirmed that this is indeed an M52 8113 by comparing the FRU number on your motherboard? I understand that you feel that it must be an 8113 because the flash BIOS update didn't fail, but you should not assume that to be the case. Check, verify, and confirm it.

Have you performed the boot-block recovery steps from my previous post?

Reply 28 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

the M52 is from the era of the Capacitor Plague in which capacitors would explode and corrode the PC killing the machine in the process. this is due to an influx of faulty capacitors into the market from 1999 to 2007. I can't seem to find the date of the creation of the PSU unit on it. when I get home from work, I'll send a screenshot of the PSU, and see if I can get it out of the Machine. maybe yall can determine it's date?

Reply 29 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

it has a Made for Microsoft Windows XP sticker on the front of the case so I assume thats what it originally came with it also has a 90% in-tact OEM-Product-Key Sticker on it's side as the product key and WinXP version is still completely legible.

Reply 30 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

and btw @KT7AGuy so from what you said from one of your above posts you said the fan issue may resolve itself over time? and it does have the fan option in the BIOS I've set it to quiet so it doesn't make too much noise. and if the PSU is safe to use is it safe to use if that loud? especially since my house is having power issues atm. power outage then power comes back on. power company has not taken any responsibility for this malfunction as they don't seem to be the ones who caused it. but seem to be concerned that we may have a prankster in the neighborhood

Reply 34 of 50, by KT7AGuy

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The ABIT KT7A, my namesake, is the poster-child of the capacitor plague. Yep, I'm well aware of it. Chris Passalacqua over at BadCaps.net has earned plenty of my cash over the years. I highly recommend his services if you have an affected PC that you want to preserve. His service is expensive, but worth every penny. Be sure you're confident in this system before you even consider recapping.

Likewise, get this system up and running with full confidence before you consider replacing the PSU. You're not there yet.

The M52 is definitely a product of the WinXP era. XP is what we ran on them when they were new. They were still running WinXP when they were decommissioned and replaced. I wouldn't get too adventurous with the OS unless you're considering antiX Linux or MX Linux. Vista, Win7, and further are beyond your system's comfortable capabilities.

Your fan issue WILL NOT resolve itself over time. Unattended, it will only get worse. You either need to clean and lubricate it, or replace it. Based on what you've already stated regarding unknown modifications, I suspect that your computer may have an aftermarket non-PWM fan. Try swapping out the fans for known-good alternatives and see what happens.

Replace the CMOS battery ASAP. CR2032s are cheap and plentiful.

Reply 35 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Quick pics for a quick update

Attachments

• IMG_0049.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0049.jpeg
    File size
    1.34 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain
  • IMG_0050.jpeg
    Filename
    IMG_0050.jpeg
    File size
    1.64 MiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 36 of 50, by SFMG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Seems okay for now fan seems to be fine for now but duly noted will get a new fan when I can as well as a new CR2032 battery……… oh I forgot to mention when I went to replace it the holder piece came off

Reply 38 of 50, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If it will sort of make contact but is loose, hot gluing it in is the cheap fix, soldering in a replacement battery holder is the good fix... but you might reclaim one from other ewaste.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.