VOGONS

First post, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi
I have Wugo PCII which everybody can build because his motherboard is on GitHub. After turning on this computer I can hear one short beep which is normal but next is one long and one short beep. What is the meaning of these beep codes? My computer seems to work fine because I can start DOS from floppy but HDD is not working. It is some Seagate MFM 20 MB drive. When computer is booting it shows a message that one HDD is recognized. I used SpeedStor 6.0.3 and it shows that on this drive is no partitions - partition sector corrupt. Disk was in this computer from the beginning, also with controller card. It is starting without strange noises. I have two more MFM drives but they were working with 16 bit controller cards. How to "inform" computer/controller about drive geometry? How to made these two other drives to work with my controller card (LCS-6210D)? Of course I know that cables must be in correct positions and I checked this few times. Maybe I could try different program to check the drive?

Reply 2 of 8, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This is original product. I wrote that it is on GitHub because I wanted everybody to know about which motherboard I am writing. It was necessary to recap this board and I even bought tantalum caps like it was from factory (one of them on -12V was shorted).

Edit: about HDD: it is ST-225. This drive have life test function which should move head from track 0 to max and it is working so I have in this drive heads which are moving without problems and no strange noises.

Edit II: I tried to initialize HDD in SpeedStor. There is a second step where it is scanning media and creating defect table but it seems that whole surface is one big defect.

Last edited by Tomek TRV on 2024-03-09, 11:26. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 3 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tomek TRV wrote on 2024-03-09, 10:21:

I have Wugo PCII which everybody can build because his motherboard is on GitHub. After turning on this computer I can hear one short beep which is normal but next is one long and one short beep. What is the meaning of these beep codes?

What BIOS are you using? The interpretation of beep codes may differ between different BIOS vendors.

My computer seems to work fine because I can start DOS from floppy but HDD is not working. It is some Seagate MFM 20 MB drive. When computer is booting it shows a message that one HDD is recognized. I used SpeedStor 6.0.3 and it shows that on this drive is no partitions - partition sector corrupt. Disk was in this computer from the beginning, also with controller card.

Do you mean that the disk did work at some time with this computer and this specific controller card? If so, it might be that the partition data got corrupted by some crashed program. If you changed the disk controller, it might be that the disk controller is unable to read the data written by a different kind of disk controller. In any way, if you don't need to access any old data on the drive, just re-format it (low level format, then FDISK, then DOS format). This procedure is described in Chapter 4 of the LCS-6200 series hard drive controller manual (see below), but you need to make sure the jumpers are correctly set for the hard drive type you want to use (see below, again).

How to "inform" computer/controller about drive geometry?

See the manual of your controller card: https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Long … rs%20Manual.pdf

Appendix 1 one contains the jumper settings for different drive types. The specifications for your ST-225 drive are found at https://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Seag … 20-%20Oct85.pdf . That manual allows any step pulse period between 5µs and 200µs, so you can choose Type 5 over Type 6. This is also confirmed by Table 2 in that appendix, explicitly listing the ST-225 as requiring "Type 5".

How to made these two other drives to work with my controller card (LCS-6210D)? Of course I know that cables must be in correct positions and I checked this few times. Maybe I could try different program to check the drive?

You need to find the drive specifications for the other drives, set the jumpers accordingly, and then run the initialization procedure describe in chapter 4. The step they call "pre-formatting" is what is commonly called "low-level formatting" nowadays. You can only install two drives at a time, and your options for the type of the second drive are limited, as shown in the lower half of Table 1 in that appendix. The ST-225 can be used as second drive in any case, because types 3 to 6 can be selected for the secondary drive independent of the setting for the primary drive.

The "split mode" setting provides a virtual second drive by splitting a single drive into two parts. This mode is meant for drives that are bigger than your operating system can handle. It is usually not required for drives of 30MB or less. With MS-DOS before 3.31, you are limited to partition sizes of 32MB, but you can put multiple partitions on a drive, so you can split the drive on the OS layer which is more flexible and will provide better performance (in most cases) than the splitting performed by the hard drive controller, so the split mode is a feature you likely don't need. The "split mode" in the controller makes the controller expose the single drive as two virtual drives to the BIOS or any other software that directly accesses the hard disk controller, so you can no longer attach two drives to the controller.

Reply 4 of 8, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

About BIOS I can only tell what is written on a sticker on IC: ERSO/ITRI Licensed by CDPC. It shows: PC II BIOS (C) 1986/E50721 after turn on. I don't know how to find more informations about it.
HDD is not working at all but sounds ok. I can only start from floppy and see what is in drive A but HDD is still not accesible.
I read ST-255 manual. Speedstore shows that disk geometry is: 611 cyl, 4 heads, precomp ?, Lzone ?, total bytes 21 272 064. In my oppinion it is ok.
Thank's for manual for controller card. I will check it now.

Reply 5 of 8, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Tomek TRV wrote on 2024-03-09, 11:45:

About BIOS I can only tell what is written on a sticker on IC: ERSO/ITRI Licensed by CDPC.

That's enough to know. ERSO is the BIOS manufacturer, and one of the most prominent mainboard vendors at that time that used the ERSO BIOS is DTK. So if you need to check beep codes, ERSO and DTK are good search terms. I might have an ERSO BIOS partially reverse engineered at hand, which I might resort to looking into it if you don't find a mainboard manual explaining the beep codes of ERSO BIOSes.

Reply 6 of 8, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

On Statson:
7.01 What do the POST beeps mean in section about ERSO/DTK I found that 1 long and 1 short beep mean the problem with FDD but my is working fine - strange.

I changed jumpers on my HDD controller according to manual and when I set it for drive nr 5 (op, op, cl, op) SpeedStor shows only half of drives capacity. The same for type nr 6.

Reply 7 of 8, by Tomek TRV

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I set all jumpers on my HDD controller for open. SpeedStor shows driwe config like I wrote before. Then I formatted HDD using debug ... After running Fdisk I have message "Error reading fixed disk".
I think that I will need to use different HDD 🙁