VOGONS

First post, by Cosi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Folks,

I've just bought this beauty. It was a bargain but the computer is largely incomplete – no PSU, no graphics card. I'd like to use it as a basis for building my own PC/XT almost from scratch (a childhood dream of mine).

When it arrives, with a bit of luck I'll be three steps away from a working PC:

1. Power supply
According to the seller, it has a PSU but the electronics is missing. I'm thinking about buying a modern ATX PSU and this converter.[1] Will that work? Will I be able to power the FDD that way? (The computer doesn't have an HDD.)

2. Graphics card
It would be great to equip it with a CGA or, better yet, Hercules card, but the CGA display via composite is really awful and the HGC requires a dedicated CRT monitor, bulky and hard to find nowadays. So I thought about a Trident VGA card (TVGA9000C) connected to a modern LCD monitor. The seller claims that Tridents should work fine with the Model M. Does anybody have experience with a Model M/Sperry HT PC running with VGA?

3. Keyboard
I think it's safe to assume that it won't get along with an AT keyboard. I'm considering either buying/building an AT/PS2-to-XT converter or hunting for a keyboard with an AT/XT switch.

I'm aware that all these questions have already been addressed here or elsewhere, but I'd love to hear from someone who's had experience with this particular computer.
Thank you in advance!
Cosi

---
[1] https://allegro.pl/oferta/konwerter-atx-do-at … ium-14965914999