VOGONS

First post, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey,

Hopefully someone can accidently identify this one ; Put everything in google, image reverse search and so many systems, which came in mind - but cant find anything.

j453gtbj.jpg
xxb733xx.jpg
rnhzx6r5.jpg
y2wt88qd.jpg
z5sbhvm3.jpg
98iiczp3.jpg
oazjb8qp.jpg

Thanks & greetings

Reply 1 of 10, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

1983 chips... it is old ! What is the chip in pic below ?

Attachments

• Image1.jpg
    Filename
    Image1.jpg
    File size
    378.86 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 10, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

It's looking more like a CP/M machine than a DOS machine to me at the moment. Wild guess, Sirius motherboard.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 3 of 10, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Possibly part of an old Panafacom / Facom system?

https://www.phantom.sannata.org/viewtopic.php … 0b65599#p487537

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Panafacom

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PFU_Limited

Reply 5 of 10, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
rasva wrote on 2024-03-10, 06:21:

I would remove the EPROM and read its contents. This could reveal some information.

Was thinking about it, but currently have no good Eeprom Reader/Writer, last one was too cheap and died, rly time i buy something real.

PC Hoarder Patrol wrote on 2024-03-10, 04:53:

Possibly part of an old Panafacom / Facom system?

Damn - Thanks - it comes pretty close to it, yet couldnt find ofc the exact one, might be impossible either way.
But looing from build-up, Style - it rly could be.

BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-10, 04:20:

It's looking more like a CP/M machine than a DOS machine to me at the moment. Wild guess, Sirius motherboard.

Yet, CP/M looks closer to it - but couldnt find anything perfect match either. And yet again the build-up, style is pretty damn close.
I start to believe it must be a CP/M System - what else could it be ? [nothing else^^]

Horun wrote on 2024-03-10, 04:15:

1983 chips... it is old ! What is the chip in pic below ?

Ups...truedat, how could i miss that..
Thanks !

Here the pics for the other Chips ;

zvo6dkla.jpg
nanop98f.jpg

Well thanks sofar !!
Did help me alot !

For Story where i got it; A friend [F] of mine had a weird roommate - wannabe IT-Guy [and weird/psycho] and she kicked him out. But he left so much trash and stuff behind, so she asked me to clear out.
So I left with like 40x Notebooks, 15x PC's and several boxes and stuff - But basically all trash/worthless/nothing special and the condition of most of the stuff is either sad/worthless/disgusting in condition (where is mydisinfectant?)
Now i try to sell everything which is worth at least 10 bucks - so she gets a bit like "personal injury compensation"
Only handful of nice things in his stufflist - like this platine.

So if I try to sell it, i would love to know what it is at least 😀
If anyone would want to have it, sure i can make it easy, but sofar ive seen some similar stuff on ebay, does not seem cost much anyway + we still dont know for sure what it is ?!

Thanks again for all the help - you guys are the best ! Vogons is the best!! (as usual^^)
Greetings

Reply 6 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The PCB routing style is very mid-80's Japan and I spy custom Fujitsu chip in that sea of TTLs. The printer port also looks Japanese from that era. So it's a very good chance this is a JP machine, and it probably still works too - look at that build quality. Nothing like cheap PC clones.

That being said I don't see a CPU, it might be on a card that plugs into those connectors near the back. I've only identified FDC, CRTC, RS232 chip and a that Intel '41 is probably some mobo management subsystem (reset, keyboard scanning, etc).

Reply 7 of 10, by mkarcher

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Deunan wrote on 2024-03-11, 18:58:

That being said I don't see a CPU, it might be on a card that plugs into those connectors near the back.

One pair of connectors is labelled "MPU". It's quite likely that this is short for "micro-processor unit".

Reply 8 of 10, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
mkarcher wrote on 2024-03-11, 19:12:

One pair of connectors is labelled "MPU". It's quite likely that this is short for "micro-processor unit".

Yes, certainly - that I thought aswell, nowhere is a motorolla 68000, Intel 8086 or similar to be found/seen = CPU-Card - Ofc.

Deunan wrote on 2024-03-11, 18:58:

The PCB routing style is very mid-80's Japan and I spy custom Fujitsu chip in that sea of TTLs. The printer port also looks Japanese from that era. So it's a very good chance this is a JP machine, and it probably still works too - look at that build quality. Nothing like cheap PC clones.

That being said I don't see a CPU, it might be on a card that plugs into those connectors near the back. I've only identified FDC, CRTC, RS232 chip and a that Intel '41 is probably some mobo management subsystem (reset, keyboard scanning, etc).

Thanks!
nicely done, I feel dumb latley - maybe just too busy past months^^ [why didnt I see that?]
Printer-Port and the Fujitsu chips really gives it away that it must be Japanese.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

And update from other Forum, Thanks to HardwareLuxx.de [I am german and hang out there often, in the Nostalgic-Section - and some members are here too I know off^^]

He has same conclusion ; 1983 / Japan, no import chips / CPU-Card - ofc, since there is no CPU seen anywhere
+ he is pretty damn sure it is this system :

8huon943.jpg

from : https://nosher.net/archives/computers/pcn_198 … -25_v1_no25_001
Since he reads here and there some russian-speaking forums and someone had gotten it back then, from Japan to Russia.

Well - as mentioned, I have/want to sell it, will put it on ebay for my friend, who certainly deserves some compensation, for the stress she had with that guy.

I will go with the Hitachi Samurai S-16 / CP/M - maybe ofc wrong, but closer we cant get i guess. (with ofc heavy vogons discount pm, if needed - [thanks for help!] )
Condition -I wouldnt wonder if this one totally working fine. The condition is exceptionally good - like "impossible good" - how ? why ? total forgotten piece...

That Hitachi System is basically in the end one of countless 8Bit System from the lawless time where thousands of manufactures build some 8-Bit machines.
Finding parts for it - even finding anything regarding that Hitachi system is like 0.
And then considering finding anyone who wants it 😀

Who knows.

I certainly owe you some debt again !!
Thanks for all the help and chats

Have a great night
Greetings from Baltic Sea, Kiel

Reply 9 of 10, by Deunan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
freekymachine wrote on 2024-03-11, 22:06:
He has same conclusion ; 1983 / Japan, no import chips / CPU-Card - ofc, since there is no CPU seen anywhere + he is pretty damn […]
Show full quote

He has same conclusion ; 1983 / Japan, no import chips / CPU-Card - ofc, since there is no CPU seen anywhere

8huon943.jpg

Hm, I have to disagree. No DIN connectors on the front, unlike Panafacom Duet-16 machine that PC Hoarder Patrol suggested. In fact, looking at the photos here I can say it's pretty much identical to what you have, except the cards and cables:
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?u … t&Number=112683

Reply 10 of 10, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Deunan wrote on 2024-03-12, 00:51:
freekymachine wrote on 2024-03-11, 22:06:
He has same conclusion ; 1983 / Japan, no import chips / CPU-Card - ofc, since there is no CPU seen anywhere + he is pretty damn […]
Show full quote

8huon943.jpg

Hm, I have to disagree. No DIN connectors on the front, unlike Panafacom Duet-16 machine that PC Hoarder Patrol suggested. In fact, looking at the photos here I can say it's pretty much identical to what you have, except the cards and cables:
https://forums.bannister.org/ubbthreads.php?u … t&Number=112683

True dat ; that machine I found and saw too, is the most similar one I have seen so far.
Well - might be impossible to find anyway ?! - there were like over thousands of 8-Bit machines - its all soon 50 years ago, as anyone has a complete collection of all 8-bits in basement^^ [well i wouldnt be surprised if there is]
Finding the exact machine - maybe that one was something similar to Panafacom, but maybe just a like one-time-built sesies for one company who asked something specific for one machine, used for 3,4,5 years, which even havent been sold on public market.

Mmmmmm ...damnit^^
I guess I go for Panafacom - the Din in front makes it obvious...
Well I am wasted, that guy I got all the stuff from - it is depressing - as a handyman we need at least every now and then the feeling of success - and basically all the notebooks and pc's and other stuff I tested from him are dead/trash/horrible condition - no "success-feeling"/always "again more junk" - I dont wanna waste any more time on his shit 😜 - already too much time lost, should have handled it different, more agressive sort-out / Really time to find and ending - was already all together over 30hours of work ...for...
ah well - at least helped friend out.
and thanks again for helping me out!

Well, got other scource who send me this "best/only inside pic of the Samurai S-16"

t36k9wy3.png
menisohu.jpg

Does look its not rly Samurai S-16 ?! power-connector to the left, there is this red-dip switch.