VOGONS

First post, by DrLucienSanchez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everyone.

I have a HP Vectra VEI 7 motherboard. It's very very OEM, limited, the BIOS is flashed to the official latest, and runs a Celeron at 466MhZ, seems limited to 66Mhz bus, which coupled with the memory running at this frequency and the shared onboard graphics, which I have disabled within Windows, but can't disable in BIOS, really takes a performance hit.

I was wondering, if anyone knew of non-OEM compatable BIOS I could uniflash this board to, as the board does have markings to change FSB to 100, but the pins are removed, so the idea is to see if I can use a higher clocked Coppermine at 100 FSB, or at least by minimum, disable the onboard GPU completely to get back some performance.

The CPU, combined with a PCI MX440, is so slow, it runs Descent 1 at normal speed! Doom when benched gives me 27fps, and Monkey Island boots up fine everytime, no speed issue interger errors! So worse case it can be a good DOS machine, but wanted to see if I could get any more out of it.

Here's the spec, if anyone is able to advise please - https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/hp-vectra-vei-7

Classic rig - MS6156 Ver 1.0 Bx7 Slot1 Motherboard - Pentium II Deschutes 400Mhz, 320MB PC100 RAM, 20GB SATA Toshiba 2.5 via IDE/SATA converter, Intel i740 8Mb AGP, Sun Microsystems 16" CRT Monitor - PN17J0 CRT monitor