VOGONS

First post, by gregorem

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi.
I was planing to build slightly overkilled Windows 98/95 machine, that preferably cover all '90 period. Overkilled, cause I remember that 25-28 fps was back considered as "playable" or even "good", but today I rather prefer more fluid framerate, at least in 3d games. I have not so much space in my place, so one setup for entire decade seems very practical. But I'm starting to doubt whether it's achievable.

First of all, I want to geting some nice, period inaccurate graphic card for smooth fps in every game, whenever it could be possible. Some Geforce 4/FX (not necessary top ones) or maybe ATI counterpart. Additionaly relatively wallet-friendly Voodoo card for Glide compatibility (and I know that words "3dfx Voodoo" and "wallet-friendly" are oxymoron).
I assumed for later Win9x games Glide is not required or sometimes even not supported, so top Voodoo cards also aren't necessity.
For CPU I was thinking about PIII Tualatin or Coppermine, due recommendation on Vogons. However such setup looks pretty problematic, thanks to crappy chipsets and ISA compatibility. Like VIA 694X/T with AGP 4x and ISA, but their AGP performance is even worse than Intel's 440BX, despite BX having only AGP 2X, and not even tell me about their PCI performance. AND BX isn't also perfect choice, despite correct support for ISA, due to having only AGP 3.3V slot, which isn't a huge problem performance-wise, but drastically limit it compatibility with later cards, forcing to costly and timely cherry picking cards with right key.
And later chipsets with nice Universal AGP slot haven't ISA or provide ISA on PCI-TO-ISA bridge, often without DMA support but always with troublesome compatibility.

So maybe I should forget about setup covered entire '90 and build something dedicated for years 89 - 96? But still want to have that overpowered Win9x machine. Is completely ditching ISA a good idea for machine dedicated to games from mid to late '90? I known many games in such period still working under DOS, but maybe running them in DOS VM/DOS under Windows may be some workaround.
Sure, compatibility isn't perfect, but many late DOS games should work, but I haven't idea how, in that case, things looks at sound department.

So is possible to get some, even crappy, sound in DOS games running under Windows with PCI card, until I build proper DOS setup? Or should I expecting only silence?
And if I get rid of ISA in 9x setup, maybe I should also ditching PIII and going higher to Athlon64? Not because pure power, but in that era universally keyed AGP slots are common, low-end CPUs (good enough for 9x) cheap as hell, and maybe chipsets and motherboards for Athlons are less crappy.

What you think?