VOGONS

First post, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello,
Probably a stupid question…
I am about to reflash a recent ASUS motherboard with its SPI plug.
I know this plug has different pinout than MSI (I have a cable for MSI) and I found it with the scheme to connect it to a ch341a.

I cannot use the ch341a as the chip is 1.8v so ai will use my T48 that should handle it without adapters.
The silly question is, the pinout is the same as ch341a? I am sure it is but…. Double checking…

Reply 1 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You can get the pinout/wiring from the XGPro software.

- Start XGPro. If you don't have the programmer plugged in, make sure to select T48 when asked what programmer to emulate.

- "Select IC" -> load the database entry for the particular BIOS chip on your mobo.

- "Set Interface" -> check the "ICSP port" radio button.

- Press the "Read" button.

- There's a basic diagram in the Chip Read window. Press the "View ICSP Connection" button in the same for further details.

Reply 2 of 5, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

No actually I meant the pinout of ch341a and the one of the T48 (the chip on the mobo is a standard one)
I am sure it is and if so, I can use the attached scheme.

Attachments

• IMG_6097.png
    Filename
    IMG_6097.png
    File size
    158.55 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 5, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Mamba wrote on 2024-03-17, 10:47:

No actually I meant the pinout of ch341a and the one of the T48 (the chip on the mobo is a standard one)
I am sure it is and if so, I can use the attached scheme.

From your diagram it looks like there's a 25 series 128Mbit chip on your board, so took a screenshot from some random ditto in XGPro:

CHfnTqN.png

There are some signal name variations between the diagrams:

SI = DI
SO = DO
SCK = CLK

You got the mobo header pinout in your diagram, and the T48 ICSP port in mine. I don't really get exactly what you want to do, but I'd just wire it up with individual Dupont wires according to the two diagrams. The extra ground wires along the clock wire shouldn't be necessary, they're just there to reduce crosstalk etc. If there are any problems, try adding them or lower the SPI clock frequency.

Edit: or is that MSI cable perhaps connected to the ZIF socket rather than the ICSP header in the programmer end? In that case, the cable/diagram would work if the T48 and CH341A uses the same connections for their DIP to SOIC8 adapters. I'd still not take any chances though, easier to just wire it up with Dupont wires than verifying that the connections with the cable are correct.