VOGONS

First post, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

Please forgive me for starting a new thread with my first post, I know that's a n00b move 😀

I recently got an itch to put together a retro rig for playing 90s titles, and overall I'm very happy with it:

- Pentium 3 Coppermine, 866MHz
- Socket 370 motherboard, Biostar M6VLB
- Trident Blade 8GB onboard GPU (for now)
- ISA Soundblaster 16, just the peasant Vibra version
- Win 98 SE

Here's the thing, it's super for mid-to-late 90s titles - SWAT 3, even some Falcon 4.0, Quake.

DOS games are hit-or-miss, some of them didn't have frame limiters and seem to scale with CPU frequency, DOS Wing Comander 1 is unplayable. I'm kinda wishing I'd sought out a Socket 7 board and gone with a P133. But at this stage I'd rather not rebuild unless absolutely necessary. I'm aware that the sensible thing to do is to emulate with my modern PC, but, as many of you will appreciate it's never the same.

So anyway, I understand the FSB frequency of my motherboard is 66-133MHz, but my CPU's multiplier is locked. I saw in another thread that some of the VIA CPUs for this board are very flexible and can be limited to performance comparable even to 386 and 486 machines. I can't seem to find much on Google about those chips, can anybody confirm that they have unlocked multipliers? And if not, how are people able to gimp their performance so effectively?

Thanks in advance!

Dan

90s PC: IBM 6x86 MX PR 300. TNT2 M64.
Boring modern PC: i7-12700, RX 7800XT.
Fixer upper project: NEC Powermate 486SX/25

Reply 1 of 10, by paradigital

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Via Ezra-T CPUs are seemingly the most flexible because of the range of multipliers available. Using SetMul to change the multiplier and cache status.

I’ve been meaning to get hold of one for a while.

Reply 2 of 10, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
paradigital wrote on 2024-03-19, 06:47:

Via Ezra-T CPUs are seemingly the most flexible because of the range of multipliers available. Using SetMul to change the multiplier and cache status.

I’ve been meaning to get hold of one for a while.

Thank you for confirming, I’ve only today started learning about SetMul and it seems like just the ticket. I’ve spent so long focusing on new hardware that I’ve been out of the loop with regards to vintage stuff - back in the day we used the likes of MoSlo to get DOS titles running on the faster machines, it was much more crude than SetMul though.

So regarding the VIA CPUs, it looks like any of them on S370 are adjustable with SetMul but you’d advocate the Ezra T because of its wide range of multis?

Might be a challenge finding one, a cursory glance on eBay shows up only a Nehemia, and it ain’t cheap! 😳

Reply 3 of 10, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

May I also suggest "Throttle": http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS/

An awesome little tool that allows you to use power saving registers of your chipset to slow down the CPU. Even without multiplier adjustment, this would at least allow you to get down to 54 MHz (6.25% of the original speed), enough for some less sensitive titles. With a Pentium 75 and disabled cache, I managed to almost hit the speed of a 5 MHz 8088 CPU.

Reply 4 of 10, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2024-03-19, 12:39:

May I also suggest "Throttle": http://www.oldskool.org/pc/throttle/DOS/

An awesome little tool that allows you to use power saving registers of your chipset to slow down the CPU. Even without multiplier adjustment, this would at least allow you to get down to 54 MHz (6.25% of the original speed), enough for some less sensitive titles. With a Pentium 75 and disabled cache, I managed to almost hit the speed of a 5 MHz 8088 CPU.

Interesting, thank you; I did read about that last night - some seem to have had great results, and 5MHz from a P75 is outstanding! Others have reported audio issues and choppiness, so I guess mileage will vary.

I wonder if I can use it alongside SetMul, have the CPU at 3x66 then have Throttle take it down further.

Reply 5 of 10, by debs3759

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

As tools like SetMul and Throttle (and others) work by adjusting registers, I'd be surprised if using two side by side would really make much difference over what the better of any set of apps can do on its own.

See my graphics card database at www.gpuzoo.com
Constantly being worked on. Feel free to message me with any corrections or details of cards you would like me to research and add.

Reply 6 of 10, by asdf53

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dan386DX wrote on 2024-03-19, 18:25:

Interesting, thank you; I did read about that last night - some seem to have had great results, and 5MHz from a P75 is outstanding! Others have reported audio issues and choppiness, so I guess mileage will vary.

I did not have these problems on my Pentium 1 system, but I decided to test it just now on my "fast" system (Athlon 500). And indeed, the lowest setting (6.25%) did not work properly. The DOS prompt kept freezing and I got sprite flickering in one game (Commander Keen). Sound was fine. All problems disappeared with the next setting (12.5%). If you try it on your system please post your findings here.

Reply 7 of 10, by Shponglefan

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I wonder if I can use it alongside SetMul, have the CPU at 3x66 then have Throttle take it down further.

You might also want to check out CPUSPD: CpuSpd - A Hardware Based CPU Speed Control Utility for DOS/Win9X Retro Gaming

I've been using both CPUSPD and SETMUL to throttle performance on a Pentium 4 build. I've even managed to squeak down to ~286 level performance.

Pentium 4 Multi-OS Build
486 DX4-100 with 6 sound cards
486 DX-33 with 5 sound cards

Reply 8 of 10, by Zeerex

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Side note I had this issue with Wing Commander on a Celeron 500Mhz that I could not throttle well with DOS. I bought this PC Gamer disc that had the full version of the Windows port of the game and it works great! Can still be found pretty cheap on eBay today considering all the great titles it contains: https://x.com/banditloaf/status/1669466388518 … 0BQjhmqZkJmyAjQ

Reply 9 of 10, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zeerex wrote on 2024-03-19, 22:56:

Side note I had this issue with Wing Commander on a Celeron 500Mhz that I could not throttle well with DOS. I bought this PC Gamer disc that had the full version of the Windows port of the game and it works great! Can still be found pretty cheap on eBay today considering all the great titles it contains: https://x.com/banditloaf/status/1669466388518 … 0BQjhmqZkJmyAjQ

Good spot!

Indeed, that's the Windows version - in 1995 they adapted all of the Wing Commander titles for Windows and released them on CD under "The Kilrathi Saga". There's also a PC Gamer release (which is really just the Wing Commander 1 Windows 95 version from KS) complete with frame limiter so that you don't have to attempt combat at 10,000 miles per hour. The tweet you linked is from Ben Lesnick, over at the Wing Commander CIC forum we consider him an encylopedia of Wing Commander knowledge, he later went on to work on Star Citizen. Anyway, he was able to pull some strings to get permission for the the aforementioned Wing Commander fan site to distribute the Windows Wing Commander 1 version publically.

Last edited by Dan386DX on 2024-03-20, 00:00. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 10 of 10, by Dan386DX

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
asdf53 wrote on 2024-03-19, 19:53:

I did not have these problems on my Pentium 1 system, but I decided to test it just now on my "fast" system (Athlon 500). And indeed, the lowest setting (6.25%) did not work properly. The DOS prompt kept freezing and I got sprite flickering in one game (Commander Keen). Sound was fine. All problems disappeared with the next setting (12.5%). If you try it on your system please post your findings here.

Excellent, thank you - looks like I have a lot to consider here. I'll certainly give that a try with the VIA C3 and post my findings in this thread once I've tested a few apps and titles! Really appreciate all the help.