VOGONS

First post, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

it's possible i'm just not measuring the speed correctly, but i don't know of any other real-time monitoring tools.

the system is a compaq armada e500 laptop. the bios lists a pentium 3 850mhz (family 6, model 8, stepping 6) under system information. intel speedstep is enabled without any option to disable.

the system is dual-booted with win98se and xp sp2 (dos 7.1 accessible from windows boot menu). i'm using cpu-z vintage edition to monitor the multiplier and speed.

under xp the intel speedstep is very evident as the readings can fluctuate; however, when i use a utility named cpugrab.exe to consume 95% of the cpu cycles, cpu-z registers the p3 is pegged to 850mhz (8.5 x 100fsb).

under win98 the exact same cpu-z vintage edition always registers the cpu at 700mhz (7 x 100fsb) no matter what. i can also run the exact same cpugrab.exe, but it makes no difference.

additionally, set multiplier (setmul.exe) under pure dos specifically reports 7 x 100fsb (700mhz), but i don't know how authoritative this is. changing the multiplier on the p3 is not supported, but the tool can still successfully enable/disable the cpu cache.

so what gives? i only have colloquial evidence, but the system does seem a bit slower under win98se than it should be.

Reply 1 of 2, by Thermalwrong

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Have you got the intel speedstep applet installed for win98? It doesn't have native support for speedstep.
That won't help with DOS as I believe only BIOS or some utility could set the CPU speed there

Reply 2 of 2, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

yes, that was the issue. the softpaq number for the speedstep applet is sp18114. kinda skipped over the p3...never knew this existed back in the day and by the p4 it was already integrated into the os.

in the end the extra 150mhz didn't make a difference...still can't run standalone munt on this system.