VOGONS

First post, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi,

i have an old 486DX2 80Mhz pc with TK 8287 2J D01.1 I/O controller ISA/VLB card, I would like to connect two HDDs and CD-ROM drive, HDDs on primary IDE are auto-detected by BIOS just fine, but whatever jumper settings I use, I get nothing on secondary IDE, weird thing is that CD-ROM drive on the secondary IDE gets detected by DOS and works just fine. Also when I try to connect two HDDs (Master/Slave) to the primary IDE, I get nonsense output out of BIOS auto-detection. There are many jumpers on the I/O controller card, so maybe it is a thing of those jumper settings, but iI have found zero documentation on the internet..

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Lu.

Reply 1 of 8, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Does it look like this picture ? Not all IDE drives like to be master-slaved to each other, what make/model HD's are you trying to use ?
I suggest one HD on primary, other on secondary and slave the cd to one of them....
Ohh and if that is like your card it is a Winbond ref design and the jumpers are silkscreened....

Attachments

• s-l1600.jpg
    Filename
    s-l1600.jpg
    File size
    252.7 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Public domain

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Are you sure your BIOS supports secondary IDE? Many VLB era ones don't. One way to know is if it refers to the disks as C: and D: rather than primary/secondary master/slave, it only supports primary, and the secondary interface would need to be supported via a DOS driver.

oh and by the way: pre-El Torito BIOSes won't detect IDE CDROM; the ATAPI spec is specifically designed to hide from pre-ATAPI IDE device probing

Reply 3 of 8, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes! It is the same card, but there are no tables on the silkscreen, so thank you very much! Also the bios really only tries to auto-detect C and D drive, the CD-ROM option is not there, but it works on the secondary channel fine with a DOS driver. But still I would like to use two HDDs in the machine and putting them on the primary channel as master and slave doesn't seem to work. One of the HDDs is some HP 1GB drive, I have WFW 3.11 there with networking up and running and the other one is an old CONNER CP-2064 64 MB laptop hdd that I'am trying to back up trough this machine.

Reply 4 of 8, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You likely need xtide xub to enable this.

An NE2000 compatible nic with a 32k bootrom socket is your ally to make this happen.

You'll likely get overall better lba and multiword io support that way anyhow.

Reply 5 of 8, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have this card, do you think I can solder a DIL 28 socket to those holes and use the XTIDE ROM? There is some SRAM chip on the same traces, is it possible that it's used instead of the ROM chip?

IMG_1624.jpg
Filename
IMG_1624.jpg
File size
1.59 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 7 of 8, by anonyfous

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Yes, but there are many versions of the pcb, this one is 3C509B-TPC and weird thing is that it has no socket for the ROM chip, the holes are filled with solder and there is a CY6264-70SNC SRAM chip next to it that shares the traces wit the ROM chip position, can it be that they used this chip instead of the EPROM and it has to be desoldered before using the custom ROM?