VOGONS

First post, by dskiller

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Bought used startech vga2hdmipro without power adapter.
Bought one of the adapters with adjustable voltage.
Could of swore it said 9v on the power input , couldnt figure out why it wasnt working and power led was flashing.
Noticed mistake and switched adapter to 5v. Light stays on but still not working.

Tried different machines and monitors detect signal but shows nothing, if i unplug hdmi or power , monitor will show no signal.

Are the other leds supposed to light up.

Attachments

Reply 1 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

If the power supply is connected straight to the ICs, you could have killed it. But I would think it would buck the 5V down to 3.3V. In which case it should be tolerant of 9V. IC20 looks like a switch mode control IC, but I don't see an associated inductor. Unless there is more stuff on the bottom of the board.

Reply 3 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Ok it has two 3.3V LDO regulators that should tolerate 9V input. Unless something else is directly connected to the input. Does your adjustable adapter put out enough current? I have the Atlona version of this and it needs a 3A supply @ 5V.

Reply 6 of 9, by kaputnik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Even though 2A is a lot for that kind of equipment, and the manufacturers generally tends to overspec the PSUs, I'd also definitely try with another PSU before assuming you killed the upscaler by giving it 9VDC. Startech's website - click Technical Specifications - says 2.6A, and the symptoms you describe indicates overloaded/bad PSU.

USB chargers from the renowned phone brands usually are of high quality. If you got a charger matching the ratings, and the skills/soldering equipment, you could put together an USB to barrel jack adapter cable and try with one of those.

Reply 7 of 9, by elszgensa

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Fwiw my (CYP rebranded version of the first model of the) vga2hdmipro came with a 5V 2.6A wall wart, but I've also had it running off of a USB port (though I might just have been lucky with that and picked one that provided more current than others).

Reply 8 of 9, by snufkin

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Might just be flux residue, but there's a lot of brown muck around one of the legs of the LED by IC55 / CLU01 near the VGA port. I'm not sure from the photo if the LED case looks slightly melted or not. 9V vs 5V to 3.3V through a linear regulator means about 3.4 times the power being burnt in the regulator (dropping 5.7V rather than 1.7V), could maybe cause heat problems depending on package/heatsink?

Reply 9 of 9, by kingcake

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
snufkin wrote on 2024-03-23, 15:56:

Might just be flux residue, but there's a lot of brown muck around one of the legs of the LED by IC55 / CLU01 near the VGA port. I'm not sure from the photo if the LED case looks slightly melted or not. 9V vs 5V to 3.3V through a linear regulator means about 3.4 times the power being burnt in the regulator (dropping 5.7V rather than 1.7V), could maybe cause heat problems depending on package/heatsink?

Not for a short period of time. And most LDOs have thermal protection auto shutdown built in.