VOGONS

First post, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I'm facing some problem with getting CD audio to work with a couple of games in Win98. I have bin/cue images for Tomb Raider and Carmageddon - mounted images via Daemon Tools (also tried with MagicISO). Both games detect the sound card (port 220, IRQ 5, DMA 1) successfully and the inbuilt "test sound" features play the sound properly. The physical CD drive letter is H: (physical CD drive doesn't have an audio jack, sadly), and the virtual CD drive letter is I:.

Trouble is, that after installing both games and running them, the cutscenes play the sound properly and the sound effects (like car engine or gunshots) work fine, but there is no menu music and no in-game music. I've made sure that the CD audio volume is full in Win sound control panel, and also in multimedia properties the CD audio drive is set to I:.

I've read other threads about it, for example this one: Windows 98SE + Virtual CD Software + CD Audio. I understand others also face issue with mixed mode CDs - ideally the CD audio plays directly from the CD drive and other audio like sound effects are routed through the sound card. But I think many others have managed to get all audio working with a single sound card and virtual CD drive.

I'd be super grateful if anyone can help out with this. Anything I've missed in terms of whatever steps I've taken above?

Reply 1 of 6, by Joseph_Joestar

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Sometimes it helps to reassign the letters of the drives, so that the virtual drive is before the physical drive. In your case, try setting the virtual drive to "H" and the physical drive to "I" (or any letter after that). You can reassign the physical drive letter from Device Manager.

That said, there is no guarantee that this will work, as it can depend on a bunch of things like sound card drivers and so on. From my experience, getting working CD audio with virtual drives is hit and miss.

PC#1: Pentium MMX 166 / Soyo SY-5BT / S3 Trio64V+ / Voodoo1 / YMF719 / AWE64 Gold / SC-155
PC#2: AthlonXP 2100+ / ECS K7VTA3 / Voodoo3 / Audigy2 / Vortex2
PC#3: Athlon64 3400+ / Asus K8V-MX / 5900XT / Audigy2
PC#4: i5-3570K / MSI Z77A-G43 / GTX 970 / X-Fi

Reply 2 of 6, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have Tomb Raider CD audio working in Win 98 with Daemon Tools, in bin/cue ripped from my original disc. Sound blaster Live with the vxd drivers.
Just want to check that in the cue sheet you can see all the tracks after track 1 listed properly as audio? Cue sheet is just a text file.
You probably haven't missed this, but as you didn't mention it in your post: is 'analogue audio' enabled in the Daemon Tools menus?
There's no need to load the game up to test cd audio is working, just load up track 2 of the disc in the win98 cd player.

Reply 3 of 6, by Sombrero

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Spark wrote on 2024-03-24, 09:24:

There's no need to load the game up to test cd audio is working, just load up track 2 of the disc in the win98 cd player.

I'm not sure is that true. Some time ago I played around with DAEMON Tools 3.47 on Win98SE with Audigy 2 using VXD drivers and I could get the cd player to play music tracks from Half-Life image, but I couldn't get the music to play in game no matter what I tried.

Seems rather finicky.

Reply 4 of 6, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Sombrero wrote on 2024-03-24, 10:11:
Spark wrote on 2024-03-24, 09:24:

I'm not sure is that true. Some time ago I played around with DAEMON Tools 3.47 on Win98SE with Audigy 2 using VXD drivers and I could get the cd player to play music tracks from Half-Life image, but I couldn't get the music to play in game no matter what I tried.

Seems rather finicky.

Ok that's interesting. On my system as soon as I hear the audio in CD Player it also works in games. I will try Half Life and see if the results are different, I have the image ripped from original retail CD.
A couple of other things: the order of the drives doesn't matter on this system, I have the real cdrom as E and the virtual drive as V or similar.
I had to enable DMA on the hard disk where the images are stored, or else the music may stutter.
CD Audio also works fine when bin/cue images are stored on a network drive, although some games music may stutter, and some work fine.
The separate volume controls for CD audio don't work in Windows and rarely work in games, it all appears to work through the Wav volume control.

Reply 5 of 6, by Spark

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Just tried Half Life with CDDA enabled in the game menu, and the image mounted in daemon tools. For some reason I ripped this image as a cue/ccd/img. Started a new game and the music played. Worked fine streaming from the NAS.
You're right, it's finicky.

Reply 6 of 6, by xtreger

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2024-03-24, 09:13:

Sometimes it helps to reassign the letters of the drives, so that the virtual drive is before the physical drive. In your case, try setting the virtual drive to "H" and the physical drive to "I" (or any letter after that). You can reassign the physical drive letter from Device Manager.

That said, there is no guarantee that this will work, as it can depend on a bunch of things like sound card drivers and so on. From my experience, getting working CD audio with virtual drives is hit and miss.

Ah this worked! Thanks a lot! I changed the virtual drive letter to D: using LetterAssigner, and after that CD audio works fine in both games