VOGONS

First post, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Whenever I attempt to setup these games sound blaster 16 sound FX on my i486DX2 66 computer which uses this board; https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/fic-486-gvt#bios , some of the games crash and even hang the system unless I disable sound FX and either have no sound at all or using only midi and then the game works fine. Such examples such as Doom, Doom ii, hexen, heretic and a few others have this issue while games such as Dark Forces, Sim city 2000, Tie Fighter and more do not and run great with sound FX and midi together. I have a sound blaster 16 and cirrus logic 5428 vlb card and vlb io controller. I tried the sound card with a Pentium 75mhz socket 7 board and all the games work fine with that. Could it be the bios rom or settings. Also I checked the necessary IRQ's and in the other game, they work fine as they should and should have worked for the other games I have issues with.

Attachments

• photo_2024-03-06_19-39-20.jpg
    Filename
    photo_2024-03-06_19-39-20.jpg
    File size
    154.37 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    I also ran the game in real DOS and the same thing
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Which sound blaster 16 CT number ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 4 of 13, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AvocadoLongfall wrote on 2024-03-26, 01:48:

Whenever I attempt to setup these games sound blaster 16 sound FX on my i486DX2 66 computer which uses this board; https://theretroweb.com/motherboards/s/fic-486-gvt#bios , some of the games crash and even hang the system unless I disable sound FX and either have no sound at all or using only midi and then the game works fine. Such examples such as Doom, Doom ii, hexen, heretic and a few others have this issue while games such as Dark Forces, Sim city 2000, Tie Fighter and more do not and run great with sound FX and midi together. I have a sound blaster 16 and cirrus logic 5428 vlb card and vlb io controller. I tried the sound card with a Pentium 75mhz socket 7 board and all the games work fine with that. Could it be the bios rom or settings. Also I checked the necessary IRQ's and in the other game, they work fine as they should and should have worked for the other games I have issues with.

According to this screenshot I would say the sound is not the only problem.

Reply 5 of 13, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

How much ram do you have ? Are you loading EMM386.EXE ? Are you running from pure DOS ?

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 6 of 13, by Jo22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Judging by the screenshot, it might be running under Windows ?
If so, multiple drivers could be the reason. Some Windows 9x sound drivers do provide a virtual Sound Blaster, for example.
Or it's related to DOS4GW extender, by any chance? If so, try running from pure DOS.
Or try DOS32A replacement, if possible (I say "if possible" because some games have DOS4GW runtime built-in).
If you need lot's of memory, you can try QEMM 9.x which is Windows 9x compatible.
Or use another memory tool, such as Multimedia Cloaking, which doesn't use V86 tricks so much.

I tried the sound card with a Pentium 75mhz socket 7 board and all the games work fine with that.
Could it be the bios rom or settings. Also I checked the necessary IRQ's and in the other game,
they work fine as they should and should have worked for the other games I have issues with.

Hi, maybe it's also the Pentium processor itself that fixes your issue?
Intel Pentiums usually support VME, an enhanced version of V86.

Some 486 processors may support it, but it's hit and miss.
An utility that checks CPUID might help to find out. NSSI can detect VME, too.

More information:
http://www.rcollins.org/articles/vme1/
https://www.navsoft.cz/products.htm

"Time, it seems, doesn't flow. For some it's fast, for some it's slow.
In what to one race is no time at all, another race can rise and fall..." - The Minstrel

//My video channel//

Reply 7 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Most of those games aren't going to be fast on a 486 in pure dos let alone having the overhead of win95 running in the background.

Your much better off playing the games from pure dos, if the games still crashes even in pure dos try without loading any drivers and add back one by one till you get the crash to narrow down the cause

Reply 8 of 13, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I have played the games from pure dos and no luck. I tried every setting for irq in the sound fx area for setup of doom and still crashes. I have 32 megabytes of ram and I do not see emm386.exe in my autoexec.bat

Reply 9 of 13, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AvocadoLongfall wrote on 2024-03-26, 19:55:

Does this mean there is an issue with the board or the sound card?

Something is wrong with colours in the screenshot. Is it normal? Or am I blind?

Forget the soundcard for now, that must be something very essential: So mainboard, CPU or RAM.
A DX2-66 is one of the most compatible CPUs, so that should be fine. Except you run it without heatsink and fan.
Assuming you are not torturing the CPU, .... then check the RAM first. It is always the RAM.
Also be sure, that you don't use EDO RAM, a typical beginner's mistake.

Reply 10 of 13, by AvocadoLongfall

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The colors on the screen, I personalized windows and two its the refreshing from the monitor. And yes there is no heatsink on the DX2 66 presently. Also I am using fast page memory. All 32 megabytes. I also need to get thermal adhesive for the heatsink cause I already have a heatsink somewhere.

Reply 11 of 13, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
AvocadoLongfall wrote on 2024-03-27, 21:01:

The colors on the screen, I personalized windows and two its the refreshing from the monitor. And yes there is no heatsink on the DX2 66 presently. Also I am using fast page memory. All 32 megabytes. I also need to get thermal adhesive for the heatsink cause I already have a heatsink somewhere.

Then please stop testing unless you put heatsink and fan on the CPU.

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
AvocadoLongfall wrote on 2024-03-27, 19:27:

I have played the games from pure dos and no luck. I tried every setting for irq in the sound fx area for setup of doom and still crashes. I have 32 megabytes of ram and I do not see emm386.exe in my autoexec.bat

We'll use Doom for testing as that'll fix both doom 1 and 2, Heretic and Hexen.

In doom setup set both music and sound to none.

Cold boot the computer direct into pure dos without loading any drivers.
You can do this either with a boot disk which doesn't have a autoexec.bat or config.sys or by hitting F8 just before windows loads and selecting the last option "safe mode command prompt only"
start a game of doom
if it still crashes either the install is corrupt or a hardware issue.
If it works then we have a config issue

but yes 66Mhz needs at least a heatsink.
my own dx2/66 only has a heatsink but no fan. We once positioned a monitor stand in a way that completely blocked the air vents and PC would keep freezing so these things definitely need some cooling