VOGONS

First post, by ccronk

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I've been rummaging through my junk. I found a 100mb Zip disk. There's stuff on there, probably nothing terribly important, but I hate letting anything go to waste. The only working Macs I have (assuming they still work) are a Quadra 605...I think. And a Quadra 800. Help me out with this. Neither has a hard drive currently, and I only have "newer" scsi drives, post 2003 say. The conglomerate adapter to make those work would be 8 blocks long. But I do have a bunch of scsi adapters. I suppose I could just boot the 605? via floppy and with a scsi zip drive read the contents of that disk? Hopefully.

Watcha all thank?

Reply 1 of 2, by wierd_w

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

There are a couple of ways to approach this.

1) linux live usb stick + ide/atapi zip drive, and hfsprogs

2) same as above, but just dd the disk into an image file for use with emulators, virtual machines, or imaging tools

3) scsi passthru with basilisk-II

4) actual mac quadra with ethernet and services for macintosh running on a win2k box, to store the saved contents to

Probably several more, if we get creative?

Reply 2 of 2, by Vynix

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here's how I would proceed:

- Get a known good SCSI (yes, SCSI, with the two switches, a LPT drive will fry the SCSI chip in your Mac!) zip drive (doesn't matter if it's a 100 or 250 drive, since all you're going to do is pull data from it) and connect it to the Mac's DB-25 port

- Boot the Mac off a known good boot disk with the Iomega Guest driver (either a floppy or an external SCSI hard drive if you have one)

- Use the Iomega Guest driver (just a tiny TSR you have to run without having to install the driver)

- Transfer all of the data to something like a ZuluSCSI or a CF2SCSI adapter.

Proud owner of a Shuttle HOT-555A 430VX motherboard and two wonderful retro laptops, namely a Compaq Armada 1700 [nonfunctional] and a HP Omnibook XE3-GC [fully working :p]