VOGONS

First post, by jesusabc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi

I would like advice for each rig I have to install old operating systems... My idea is to have an option in all of them to install OLD GAMES and not to have problems, taking advantege of each system best aspects (f. ex. The VIA EPIA is the most suitable for DOS gaming due to its capability of SB PRO compatible option in BIOS):

* VIA EPIA 5000 ITX + 128mb RAM + GPU Cyberblade i7 + SDtoIDE 32gb (no much space though...)
* Acer Aspire 5737Z T6400 + 4GB RAM + GPU 9400m + 320Gb HDD
* Compaq Presario 2800 Pentium 4-M 1.7Ghz + 512mb RAM + 30Gb HDD + GPU Radeon Mobility 7500
* HP Mini 210 (Netbook) Atom N450, 1 Gb RAM, GPU X3150
* Mobo Asrock J1800 2Gb RAM (i was thinking about creating a NAS machine...)

I have an AOC 24G2U monitor as well as a LG Flatron L1515S... (i think not too much difference connecting these laptops via VGA...) for use them

Recommendations? advising? My idea is reaching from DOS to Windows 7...

THANKS!!!!!

Reply 1 of 2, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Maybe an idea to define OLD GAMES a bit more explicitly. Really old DOS is clear enough, but all the other stuff is from the Windows XP era or later. How much Win9x do you play?

If you want DOS on the Epia, there's no point in doing 128MB RAM:
- there are no DOS games that use more than 16MB
- some games with short-sighted memory detection routines fail with 'out of memory' errors with too much memory (usually >16MB)

If you want Windows 98SE, the Pentium 4M would be best bet, assuming there are decent drivers. I would not expect there to be WIndows 95 drivers for it (a lot would be WDM-only).
WIndows 7 would be pushing it on these systems - the OS would run fine on anything with 2GB of RAM or more, but games designed for Windows 7 would not run well on low-end GF9400M or slower - you can forget Crysis on that.

Any particular reasons why you're mainly using laptops? For newer stuff they offer little expandability of GPU, for older stuff no option to add exotic sound cards or3D accelerators. And none of these look like they have good TFT panels either.

Reply 2 of 2, by jesusabc

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
dionb wrote on 2024-03-26, 19:08:
Maybe an idea to define OLD GAMES a bit more explicitly. Really old DOS is clear enough, but all the other stuff is from the Win […]
Show full quote

Maybe an idea to define OLD GAMES a bit more explicitly. Really old DOS is clear enough, but all the other stuff is from the Windows XP era or later. How much Win9x do you play?

If you want DOS on the Epia, there's no point in doing 128MB RAM:
- there are no DOS games that use more than 16MB
- some games with short-sighted memory detection routines fail with 'out of memory' errors with too much memory (usually >16MB)

If you want Windows 98SE, the Pentium 4M would be best bet, assuming there are decent drivers. I would not expect there to be WIndows 95 drivers for it (a lot would be WDM-only).
WIndows 7 would be pushing it on these systems - the OS would run fine on anything with 2GB of RAM or more, but games designed for Windows 7 would not run well on low-end GF9400M or slower - you can forget Crysis on that.

Any particular reasons why you're using laptops? For newer stuff they offer little expandability of GPU, for older stuff no option to add exotic sound cards or3D accelerators. And none of these look like they have good TFT panels either.

Sorry, I forgot to mention SPACE IN MY COMPUTER ROOM, is the main problem... hehehe

OLD GAMES for me are defined as games newer as DX 8.1 AS MUCH...

VIA EPIA was 64Mb RAM sorry...

Pentium 4M HAS decent drivers, I tested UNREAL and some DOS stuff like that (I have now Warcraft 2, or Max Payne to test its Mobility 7500)... my idea to use the model with 9400m is that maybe with XP... will be better (Crysis is not on my agenda...)

Laptops are not the best LCD solution, I know, but the Compaq or using the Acer on the Flatron 15"... makes them much better... and the 9400m is better than the 7500.... or even the X3150 of the netbook is useful...

My idea is to remember games... and I have found that DOSBOX Stagging is not always that 100% real solution because they are not really emulated as they were...