VOGONS

First post, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I'm building a PC with old storage media capabilities and one of those is an internal ZIP750 drive. I took off the front bezel and dust flap to paint them white so that it matches the front panel - sadly 750s only came in black. Yeah yeah, I could have picked up an internal 100 or 250 and left the 750s to an external USB one, but I did the opposite, the milk's already spilled.

So I bought some plastic dye and sprayed those parts, waiting for them to dry right now. My question is, how to properly set in the spring that makes the dust flap move back once the disk is ejected? It's a little thing like this (center of the image):

spring.jpg

I didn't bother to look at the way it was originally installed so now I'm a bit at a loss haha

I'm sure I'm going to need a pair of tweezers to put it in while bent so it stores some potential energy, but I'm not sure as to the exact arrangement. I'd appreciate some help 😁

Reply 1 of 5, by konc

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Find a simple floppy drive and check how it's placed there, it's the same spring shape and the same preload logic. It can be intimidating the first time (and hard to describe), I agree, but it's dead simple eventually.

Reply 2 of 5, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
konc wrote on 2024-03-27, 06:57:

Find a simple floppy drive and check how it's placed there, it's the same spring shape and the same preload logic. It can be intimidating the first time (and hard to describe), I agree, but it's dead simple eventually.

Ok, if people have succeeded at it means it can be done haha

Reply 3 of 5, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think you can just made sure that the spring will press the flap to the front bezel and that should be it.
When you insert the disk into the drive, the disk will keep the flap in the open position so there no complicated mechanism in there.

Reply 4 of 5, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If it's anything like on the external drives then you've got a slight problem, since the pin that holds the spring in place is located on that cutout piece of the flap, and it seems to be missing on your flap.

edit: forgot I recently obtained an internal zip 250 IDE. Added for future reference.

Attachments

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 5 of 5, by Spiffles

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I succeeded, it was actually just as simple as konc said.

zip1.jpg

The painting could have gone better, and I definitely should have chosen "bone" instead of "white" from that company's library of colors hahah. But if it comes down to it, I could just take off all the bezels and have them professionally lacquered to a single color at some company. The drive works and that's what makes me happy 😁

frontpanel.jpg
drives.png

I think I could maybe try polishing it a bit with some very fine grain paper or something, so it's smoother.