VOGONS

First post, by hbsoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I salvaged this ibm ps2 mouse from the recycler...unfortunately someone cut the cable... i want to fit a new cable but dont know the pinout.. Gnd will be the black thick wire...vcc may be the red but i need to analise the mouse board.. now i have no idea how tell apart between clk and data...both wires seem to connect to some transistors on the board
Anyone has an idea that can help me?

20240327_123938.jpg
Filename
20240327_123938.jpg
File size
1.35 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain
20240327_123947.jpg
Filename
20240327_123947.jpg
File size
1.31 MiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1 of 2, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

If you give it 5V on the red and black, then on AC range of a multimeter, clock might show 2V, or buzz the needle on an analogue one on DC, and data will only twitch the display or kick the needle when you flick the wheels round.

Edit: derp, clock comes from the PS/2 hole on the PC, won't have anything on just the mouse.

EditII: clock is more likely to be going to the base pin of a transistor, data is more likely to be coming from an emitter pin. Though if they are tiny anonymous transistors the pinout could be anything so may not help, BCE is common but not universal.

EditIII: too many edits, maybe I shouldn't do this before coffee 🤣

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 2 of 2, by hbsoftware

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
BitWrangler wrote on 2024-03-27, 13:56:

EditIII: too many edits, maybe I shouldn't do this before coffee 🤣

Ahahah in Portugal its the opposite, we say we shouldnt make things after lunch..because most people drink a glass of wine (maybe more) with the meals...🤣

Anyway thank you for your help, but both brown and white connect to same pin of different transistors...i tried searching datasheet for the controller IC but no luck, so i grabbed a keyboard cable, i checked that both ps2 mouse and keyboard share the same pinout so i connected ground and vcc to the appropriate pins, i connected the other 2 by matching the colours , seems childish but it worked.. only downside is that the mouse is super crappy, even after cleaning the rollers and the ball it is still sluggish and often fails to move left..im sure its a mechanical issue......in the process of troubleshooting the sluggishness i lost a spring that preloads a plastic roller...i subbed it with a spring from a pen, cut to size...it didnt matter..still crappy... tried stretching and compressing the spring but no luck...well atleast it works

20240328_214141.jpg
Filename
20240328_214141.jpg
File size
977.84 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain