VOGONS

First post, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Motherboard: MSI MS-6309 v2.x
CPU: Pentium III 800MHZ
Video Card: Nvidia Geforce 2 Mx400 (Driver version 81.98)
RAM: 512 MB
System Updates: I ran the 2007 and 2008 Autopatch Scripts.
CPU temps (according to mbprobe): 86f (30c)
Hard drive: CF card

The problem: After booting up, my windows 98 installation will freeze at random points. Sometimes it will freeze right when I get to the login menu. Sometimes it will freeze when I open a menu. Sometimes it will freeze when trying to load a website on retrozilla. Sometimes the system will stay frozen. Othertimes the screen will temporarily go black, come back and be unfrozen. On less common occasions the screen will stay black, and my monitor starts blinking it's power light.

I would suspect the videocard, however, when the computer is in safe mode, I leave it idle for a while and nothing happens. What could be causing this?

Reply 1 of 2, by NightShadowPT

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd recommend the usual suspects:

- Check for resource conflicts
- Remove all extra cards and accessories and see if it stabilizes
- Add one by one
- Try moving the boards around (try other slots when possible)

NightShadowPT
----------------
Compaq Deskpro M 486/66 - 64MB Ram - Compaq QVision 1MB - Orpheus II Sound
Card - 4GB SCSI HDD + 4GB CF Card - SCSI CD-ROM Plextor PX-32TSi - Adaptec WideSCSI AHA-2740W - 3COM Etherlink III Card

Reply 2 of 2, by AeonG

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Disabled onboard Soundblaster audio in the bios as I figured it might be conflicting with my SB Live card. I'm not well versed on IRQ related stuff, so I don't know if that will actually help, but so far I'm not noticing anything happening. if the problem persists and removing cards doesn't work, I'll update the post. Thanks!