VOGONS

First post, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hello there ,i bought a brand new in box nvidia 7950 agp back in 2006 and today i wanted to install in an iwill zmaxdp dual opteron nforce3 pro motherbard.The vga fan is spinning but i get no picture.Once i removed the vga heatsink to have a closer look i noticed that almost all aluminium capacitors were blown and to be honest i had never seen before blown aluminium capacitors.What do you think has happened?Also i noticed some weird chinese symbols around the card.any ideas?

Attachments

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350

Reply 1 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Sacon FZ (aka GSC). They're the one to make fake polymer caps that burst like that, because they're actually standard electrolyte based caps and not polymers in the first place.

Replace with Panasonic FR and it should work just well.

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 2 of 8, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^ What PcBytes said.

All of the caps with "FZ" on top are pure utter garbage. Replace them all and cross your fingers. Some VRM designs won't get damaged from bad caps, some will. EVGA GeForce 7600 GT video cards with these caps blow their memory chips about 1/3 of the time. XFX GeForce almost never get damaged from these terrible caps and some continue to work even with the bad caps (though not very stable.)

The most useful thing you can do with these FZ caps (once removed from the board) is to cut them in half and take their rubber bungs to use as replacement rubber feet for laptops, speakers, and etc.

Reply 3 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Now that you mention it, I do have a XFX 8500GT I have to rid of FZs 🤣, might go for yellow Fujitsu polys off some Xbox 360 mobos.

EDIT: I knew whoever was behind Sacons was cheap, but holy moly they've attained a new low. ELCON (d)EEZ. (nuts)

Reply 4 of 8, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I guess you missed my thread on BCN about them. I forgot how I got to the conclusion, but I do still have the screenshot of Samcon and Elcon factories shown side by side on their old site. I think Sacon had the same factory address from the info I found and/or Samcon also had the EEZ series listed. Either way, they're all probably the same garbage.

Yes, newer XFX (some 9000 series) used Elcon EEZ series rather than Sacon FZ. From what I gather from the internet, though, they aren't anywhere as failure prone as FZ. Curious if yours are bad/leaking/blown?

BTW, I had them on an XFX 9400 GT (basically a 8500 GT on the newer fab. process.) Caps measured OK capacity-wise and so-so on the ESR... but the GPU V_core had a blown MOSFET. Replaced MOSFET with a 85N02 from an Xbox 360, along with all of the EEZ caps, since I didn't trust them... and all was well again.

Reply 5 of 8, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

FWIW mine is a 8500GT (PV-T86J-WAJG) so OG Geforce 8 series (G86 die)... and their bungs look way too close to Sacon FZ than anything - just that they're purple. Hence, the issue might've been earlier than GF9 series.

Reply 6 of 8, by momaka

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

^I wouldn't be surprised if that's so.

What I don't understand is WHY soooo many "no-name" Chinese manufacturers of these older AGP and PCI video cards still continue to use them (Sacon FZ caps) on various cards. In particular, I've seen them used on unbranded Radeon 9200/9250 cards, unbranded GeForce 5200, 5500, 6600, and of course, the 7800/7900/7950 GS... just to name a few. They are absolutely the worst garbage (dare I say even worse than Rulycon, 🤣.)