VOGONS

First post, by ExtraneouslyOakley

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey all, I'm new here so apologies if it's the wrong place to post this.

I booted up my 755C a few days ago, saw the usual ThinkPad logo on the screen, then the Windows boot animation, etc. It loaded the desktop, I looked away for a few minutes, looked back at the thing and the screen was all white. And now it's white from the get go, immediately as I turn it on, and stays that way of course.

Everything else is a known good (not to jinx it). I don't have a VGA monitor to test, but I can hear the Windows welcome chime if I let it run and I can Alt-F4 + Enter to shut down.
I disassembled, re-seated every single component (not just the ribbon cable, but the RAM extension, HDD, FDD...), reassembled, to no avail.

It's pretty reasonable to assume it's a hardware component failure. What's weird is that it happened without application of any external force. It just went belly up while sitting calmly on my desk.
So while the knee jerk reaction is that it's the ribbon cable, it's suspicious that it wasn't due to the last straw of flexing / friction.

Could it be a capacitor somewhere or something like that? What should I look for, how do I look for it, and can this be fixed?
Thanks!

P.S. I'm aware that the easiest and arguably the cheapest option in terms of money+time spent is to get the LCD assembly from a donor laptop, but I just hate having things break and leaving them like that. So if I could fix it, it would really be awesome.

Reply 1 of 1, by Joakim

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

You could buy an old LCD with VGA just to test it. Also many flat screen TVs have VGA in. Just to see if it's the screen.

But also here is a link from a quick Google search.
https://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?t=95985